Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Old 08-05-2004, 04:42 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Boy... 3 times? you should ask here first before you rebuild it.
Watch closely, lower mounting point (where the set screwed in)of shock assy.
In the back is wider than in front, with same damping there is no way you could get equal "stiffness"
There is only 1 car using exactly the same geometry front to rear, that is TC3.
Goldfinger, It makes no difference where you mount the shocks, arms or tierods. Its still stiffer in the rear. With a 22lb spring on the front w/swaybar and a 14 on the rear you should be stiffer in the front...Not on my car!! Checked everythign I know of...Thats why I am asking here now.

EA
Old 08-05-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: question on Fk

Originally posted by JDXray
Hey guys think you maybe able to help me out, i just got my Fk in the mail today and put it together. While i was doing i noticed after getting the whole rear and front parts in the Top deck was kinda hard to get on. Has anyone had this problem? I really had to push on the end of the top deck for it to finally get on.

And any suggestion on Stock racing setups.

Thanks

Jon
the best approach is to build the car off the chassis and then bolt the chassis on last. So put the bulkhead, top deck, diff, belts and shock towers together and then bolt the chassis on. This should prevent any tweeking of the chassis from assembly. Because of the way the fatory bulkhead are made their is more room for error then the evo bulkhead. On the evo, the shocktower mount have a recess, the top deck has a recess, so eveything will line up. On the factory their is nothing to keep you from mounting the shock towers off or the top deck a little off.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EAMotorsports
Goldfinger, It makes no difference where you mount the shocks, arms or tierods. Its still stiffer in the rear. With a 22lb spring on the front w/swaybar and a 14 on the rear you should be stiffer in the front...Not on my car!! Checked everythign I know of...Thats why I am asking here now.

EA
Here's what I would do:

1) Take of the shocks - test to see if you can compress the shocks fully in. Is the movement smooth and light? How many holes are they set to.

2) Check the shock lengths are equal and long enough,

3) Without the shocks, wheels and sway bars on, lift up the suspension and and let them drop. Do the arms drop without you needing to press them down?

If the rear is stiffer than the front, then there must be something binding at the rear. Try swaping the front and rear shocks round - if it is still stiff at the rear, then you have eliminated any influence from the shocks.

Hope this helps, Mark.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

question?

what the actual weight on your fk?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rice
question?

what the actual weight on your fk?
Without batteries and wheels on 780g. That's with a GM Grand Prix 17T motor, Quantum Comp 2 speed controller, Phaser Comp rx and a Futaba 9550 servo.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

EA-the guy up here might have solved the same problem by moving to a longer wheelbase. Maybe the shocks are at such an extreme angle fore and aft? I would try lengthening the wheelbase and see if it goes away.

Ray

EA
Old 08-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Are you sure that's the website?? what's with the caption on the bottom of the image about a game???
Yes that is the website it should be fulley ready in a few weeks just keep checking and there will be all kinds of setups there stock.mod ,pavemeant and carpet thanks you guys for the support we hope to take Xray-Hudy to the next leval.......Drew
Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Team EAM

Originally posted by markp27
Here's what I would do:

1) Take of the shocks - test to see if you can compress the shocks fully in. Is the movement smooth and light? How many holes are they set to.

2) Check the shock lengths are equal and long enough,

3) Without the shocks, wheels and sway bars on, lift up the suspension and and let them drop. Do the arms drop without you needing to press them down?

If the rear is stiffer than the front, then there must be something binding at the rear. Try swaping the front and rear shocks round - if it is still stiff at the rear, then you have eliminated any influence from the shocks.

Hope this helps, Mark.
Done all that Mark....to the tee so to speak.

Any more?

EA
Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Cool....I heard the rooom and found the website a while ago...just wasn't sure if that was it...

Do us a favouor though and do a little extra pokign and prodding..there ar a bunch of us anxious to get ouor hands on an XB8!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

We have 300 of them on the first order and that order should be any day so your local hobby shop should get ready..The car is great so say by to Kyosho
Old 08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default T1 FK Kits

How many Factory Team Kits are in the first shipment?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys - I have a steering servo question.

Right now I have a Futaba S9450 dig servo in my xray. I also have a S9550 servo (currently in my Serpent) and was thinking about switching to that. Has anyone used the S9550 in their xray? I think it should perform just as good as the S9450. It has less torque, but still plenty for electric touring and is just as quick.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
JF
Old 08-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Smile Re: rear being stiffer than the front....

I don't have an FK, but noticed that the rear on my pivot ball-equipped Evo 2 is also much stiffer than the front (same oil front and rear, one-hole difference in pistons). There's no binding anywhere in the suspension, and moving the shocks makes no difference. The car does seem to need a little more on-power steering, so I'm wondering if this characteristic was engineered into the car...
Old 08-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Done all that Mark....to the tee so to speak.

Any more?

EA
With the shocks attached, do the suspension arms drop down onto the down stops under their own weight?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Team EAM

Originally posted by markp27
With the shocks attached, do the suspension arms drop down onto the down stops under their own weight?
Yes Mark they do. Flip the car around and they fall everywhere with no help. Im not a novice...Ive been racing for 15 years. I normally figure this stuff out but its got me frustrated because I cant. If I cant fix it by this weekend I'll sell it and buy another one.

Thanks for your suggestions

EA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.