Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

okay thanks Dtm
Old 08-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmm, ok this just created a dilemna for me..... which chassis for me? New XRAY or BMI?

Can someone maybe give some input on both the chassis?

Dom
Old 08-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

having your car underweight is a big advantage if you look at it the right way.you can add weight where it is needed and use it as a tuning option.if you make it heavy,you are stuck with what you are given.also,if your car is lighter at a club race or some non sanctioned event,you will be at a big advantage and at the same time have a car that is extremely rigid.my main concern with my chassis was to eliminate twist.the compression was a given being that it is a double deck chassis.now if you are lighter and more rigid,that leads to more speed going into a corner and more speed through and out of the corner.the car will change directions faster and square up much easier.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:14 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by litespeed-dom
Hmm, ok this just created a dilemna for me..... which chassis for me? New XRAY or BMI?

Can someone maybe give some input on both the chassis?

Dom
All things being equal (if I did not already have both)...I would get the BMI chassis. Save yourself the extra grams.

When you have the upper deck and bulkheads installed, the longitudinal stifness of the chassis has less effect than the torsional stiffness (twist) of the chassis, this is the area where the BMI wins over the Xray 3.5mm
Old 08-02-2004, 01:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by protc3
i can offer a more than stiff enough chassis with minimal weight gain.a lighter car is a faster car
While I agree that a lighter car is a faster car in this case it is not an issue. Even with the new XRay chassis I still have to add 10-30 grams (depending on whether the transponder weight is considered in the minimum weight) to make the minimum weight.

So in terms of car weight there is no difference. However the thicker XRay chassis does put the weight as low as possible. Can't get lower than the chassis level itself. Low CG means faster car too.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

Has anyone got the new front shock tower?

My question is, compared to the current FK tower (i got a 4 hole one not the 3 hole as in the instructions), do the shock and roll-centre holes line up? are the different hights/angles? Of course i reliaze the new outer camber link mounts, just woundering about the others?

Old 08-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

yes the weight is lower but the majority of it is also further back.as long as the weight is below the axles it will have the same effect.that is what everyone trys to shoot for
Old 08-02-2004, 05:22 AM
Tech Regular

protc3-

Raced with John Fontaine this weekend. He showed me a adjustable upper plate for the X-ray you had made. Can I get one and how much? I also race with WYD.

Thanks Allen
Old 08-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by tonyv
So in terms of car weight there is no difference. However the thicker XRay chassis does put the weight as low as possible. Can't get lower than the chassis level itself. Low CG means faster car too.
i agree that the lower the weight the lower the CG, but would it not be more effective to have the extra 18 grams in one place at the center of the chassis, then dristributed through out the chassis? I would think adding the 18 grams all over would make the cars that much slower in transitions.

I would think that adding weight where it is needed is alot better then just adding weight.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Dominic-What's up man this is Mike A from Florida....
just an F.Y.I the chassis that I used during the Nats was the BMI 350 chassis. Not really wanting to get into a discussion about torsional or longitudinal flex...my opinion is that the battery placement is by far the most crucial difference (benefit) to the BMI chassis. While at the nats, Alex and I tied for the fastest lap on the track in stock (16.4) while I was using the BMI and he was running the current Xray chassis.

The fact that the BMI chassis is lighter is in fact a tuning aid because as Jason said it allows you to place weight exactly where it is needed.

My recommendation is to go with the BMI chassis!
If you have any other questions you can post here or PM me...

Hope that helped a little...

Mike A
Old 08-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Mike! I think my question was a bit vague, but you addressed my main concern!

Dom
Old 08-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Just ordered my XRAY chassis from BMI (Thanks to Team Butter!!!) in GOLD color, since black isn't available for another several days, why not try a different color! Jason was real cool to talk to and Keira's customer service was great! Can't wait to try out the new chassis this week.

Dom
Attached Thumbnails Xray T1-p1010091.jpg  
Old 08-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

That is sweet! you can really see the CF with gold.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the BMI 350 in Ti. Worked great on Saturday. Took a little setup changes, but it's a great performer. Very predictable and fast. Check out the pic of it all mounted.

Can't go wrong with BMI!

Good racing with you RCO guys

JF
Attached Thumbnails Xray T1-bmixray2ti.jpg  
Old 08-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Makes me want to get a BMI chassis now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.