R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2004, 06:24 PM   #8221
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

on that new xray chassis,i would suggest sealing the pocketed areas underneath the servo and electronics.carbon fiber is very conductive underneath the laminant layer.that top layer actually insulates the plate.if you seal it you should be able to avoid some possible glitching problems.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:52 PM   #8222
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i wonder is the xray chassis is going to be that much stiffer then the BMI? I know that BMI's chassis is some of the stiffest carbon fiber for the thickness that he uses. I know with an extra .5 mm that it is going to be stiffer, but by how much and then how much heavier will it be. I know that the xray aluminum like on their c-hubs are not as stiff as some of the stuff we get here in the states, so maybe that goes for the carbon fiber as well.

I say that about the aluminum, because one of the guys I race with makes c-hubs in 0,3,6 degrees. and he guarantees that you will not be able to bend one. If you do he will replace them. I have bent several sets of xray c-hubs, but I have run his for about 6 months and still on the same set.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:20 AM   #8223
Tech Elite

The Xray chassis (3.5mm) is very stiff. Ideally for carpet. You will need to have both chassis in hand and do a stress test to determine which is more rigid.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:26 AM   #8224
Tech Addict

Default Tire/wheel inquiry

Ok, a bit of beat, but I gotta ask [this is the best & fastest thread for help out of all the boards].

I've recently noticed on my Evo2 [and previously on my V1RR as well], that even after trueing the foams, a noticeable shimmy/wobble exists. I've even trued the sides of the tires/wheels and have come to the conclusion that it may be a tire/wheel balancing issue.

While on the lathe or the car, usually the right front and left rear tires [on both cars] behave the same way. I have checked the hubs and drive parts and replaced them with new parts and/or tires with no elimination of the shimmy.

Am I off on this? Could it be an issue of diffs being off set to one side of center? Is it tire/wheel balancing? Is there something I'm missing.

Both cars handle fairly consistent [unless the operator gets too frisky, stupid or daring on the track, LOL] and the settings stay right on mark.

Thanks!
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:06 AM   #8225
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

yes,xray does use a different grade of c/f than i do.they use component grade c/f that they purchase over in china..i use quasi iso tropic.the difference is is that my c/f is layed at 0-90-45 degrees instead of 0-90.the component grade does not have very good torsional strength therefore you need to go much thicker with it to achieve less flex.i believe they did what was necessary to siffen the chassis up but in my case,i dont need to go that thick.i can offer a more than stiff enough chassis with minimal weight gain.a lighter car is a faster car
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #8226
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Surely that wont really matter with the chassis being static weight and having to add weights to make the 1500g minimum anyway so a lighter chassis doesnt have much advantage.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #8227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you would be surprise at how much the extra 1 mm and the less cut outs on the chassis adds weight to the car. you maybe looking at trying to lose some weight with that much cf

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:26 AM   #8228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The new Chassis weight about 112grams, the original chassis weight 68g, with the new chassis I only need to add 15g of weight to 1503g. With the orignal chassis I need at least 60g.
Joehwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:34 AM   #8229
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by berger
Surely that wont really matter with the chassis being static weight and having to add weights to make the 1500g minimum anyway so a lighter chassis doesnt have much advantage.
I think What jason Said is that you can be faster with his chassis in like a clubrace where there are no Specific Weight etc to race at.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #8230
Tech Regular

Whats the point of running your car underweight?

On my Factory kit i have to add 120g to get it up to the weigh limit, this is how i always run it.

Has anyone seen the www.Fibre-lyte.co.uk chassis?
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:59 AM   #8231
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by protc3
yes,xray does use a different grade of c/f than i do.they use component grade c/f that they purchase over in china..i use quasi iso tropic.the difference is is that my c/f is layed at 0-90-45 degrees instead of 0-90.the component grade does not have very good torsional strength therefore you need to go much thicker with it to achieve less flex.i believe they did what was necessary to siffen the chassis up but in my case,i dont need to go that thick.i can offer a more than stiff enough chassis with minimal weight gain.a lighter car is a faster car
Best explaination so far.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #8232
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
It's been kicking around in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks. It is seriously stiff....stiffer than the BMI chassis...trust me...I have one of those as well!
Well....I'll have to take my words back. Just took the BMI chassis off the car to compare with the new Xray chassis. The BMI chassis is actually stiffer than the Xray 3.5mm (both are brand new)

Jason at BMI did a pretty amazing job there!!

In terms of weight....

The BMI is 96g
The Xray 114g

So get those orders into BMI NOW!!!!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:21 AM   #8233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray
Default Bearings?

What type of bearings should you upgrade too? Or should you just keep the ones that come with the kit? (Those are teflon, right?)
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #8234
dtm
Tech Champion

Let me just clarify my statement a little more....

In terms of twisting the chassis....BMI is stiffer

In terms of longitudinal bending (front to back) the Xray chassis is stiffer......
Old 08-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #8235
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Bearings?

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
What type of bearings should you upgrade too? Or should you just keep the ones that come with the kit? (Those are teflon, right?)
The Xray blue seal bearings are about the best you can get without having to go to ceramics....