R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #7336
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

They're two ultimate sets available - the original one (red, purple...etc) and than another set that is half weights between the original. You can tell the differences via the part numbers. Hope that helps.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #7337
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by theisgroup
this may help you ray.
I need to print this out and post it in my pit box.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:56 PM   #7338
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

was just wondering, from what material are the arms made of? a friend told me they are delrin, is that true?
evaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:35 AM   #7339
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Swanson Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Swanson

its not delrin but could be really close because it acts like delrin but slightly softer

they came up with the material on there own
Andrew Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:21 AM   #7340
Tech Initiate

Default Spacer on Rear Upright

Dear All,

I noticed on Josh's set-up that he installed spacers on the rear upright below the ball stud. What is this good for?

Regards,
GIDO
gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:54 AM   #7341
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default raising the ballstud

It gave him more steering that he lost when he softened up the rear of his car. Heres a snippet from his Nats report on www.mytsn.com

"To get the steering back I raised the ball stud on the rear upright (hub carrier) by using a 3mm shim. This helped the hairpin steering out but I still needed more steering through the sweeper onto the main straight."

THis is somethng you see a LOT on carpet /foam cars. TC3 owners typically have the ballstud raised 0.040 or more.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #7342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default tub chassis vs carbon plate

I have noticed that many of the x-ray pilots where I am are switching out their plate graphite chassis for the composit when racing outdoors, could someone please explain to me why I would want to do this? I just orders the new FK kit last night but now I am wondering if I will need to order the composit chassis too.

I am assuming that the drivers changing their chassis over are doing so to gain some chassis flex to improve grip, but I was under the impression that that you were always better off to have the chassis as rigid as possible and adjust the suspension to do all the work.

Thanks,
Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #7343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

the stiffer the chassis the better when it comes to full scale cars, i would assume the same with a rc car, the handling could be inconsistant with a flexible chassis but when you look at the 415s, and the Evo 3s and look how fleible those chassis are compared to the xray and they are still quick
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:54 AM   #7344
Tech Champion

Mark,

Maybe its a case of one fast guy went quick with the tub-so everyone followed? also-track temps could play a big part. The tub I think would not be good in hot weather, but it might be good in cold weather or cool temps that vary quite a bit-say from 60f to 75 throughout the race day. WOuld make chasing set-ups easier and also make generting grip easier too.

Just my 0.02 cents form a non-outdoor racer!!
Ray
Old 06-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #7345
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think that many exchange t heir chassis for the tub is so that they dont' scrape up theh graphite of the woven chassis...

The tub chassis would be more resistant to scrapes and such...or rather..the scrapes wouldn't have such an adverse effect.

after seeing you post the same question with slightly different wording on the ask Josh thread...I can say wtih some degree of certainty that it's to protect their investment..

In the Ask Josh thread you specify this as a parking lot track...which isn't normally as smooth as glass..there's more bumps, more of an abrasive surface..adn more stones to ding up and chip the standard graphite chassis.

You don't have to worry about a molded tub delaminating from a chip like you do woven graphite
ChrisP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #7346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Windsorguy99 - At 1st Ithought it was just to save money but some of the guys I have seen do this are full ride sponsored drivers and others who operate on the unlimited race budget ( you know the guys that toss their tires & brushes after only 1 run at club races ). I am convinced that thay believe it improves the car on bumpy low bite asphalt, I am just not sure if increasing chassis flex it the best way to add grip.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #7347
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i want a molded carbonfibre tub chassis for my xray
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #7348
Tech Champion

Dont we all!! I would love to design a carbon fiber car with aluminum bulkheads, molded tub in carbon composites and NO TOP DECK!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:05 AM   #7349
Tech Elite

Molded tubs with no top decks run into problems with tweak. That's one of the reasons why Josh Cyrul fabricated a top deck for his TC3 when he was running that car.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:58 AM   #7350
Tech Addict

What kind of bearings are you guys using. It is time for me to get some new ones, I was wondering who has the best quality/performance. Also is it worth buying the carbide diff balls.
Formula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote