R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-06-2002, 07:59 PM   #646
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What is wrong, has nobody got anything to say about this great car.

I went from a TC3 (also called landcrabs in our area) because of the dodgy toe-in blocks, to this car and i could not believe the difference driving it, it is amazing, the first real meeting i had with it i came second, in a spec class we run. I should have invested in some new cells when i got the car, as i borrowed a friends pack of SMH for the third final, and won by a quarter of a lap.

All i have to do now is learn how to drive without the throttle jammed on so i can make runtime in Mod and i will be set.
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 08:08 PM   #647
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Besercoe: I went from a FTTC3 to the XRAY and it is a night and day improvement. Great to have you aboard.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:57 AM   #648
Tech Regular

How you guys doing? I haven't been here for a while now, been real busy. I had raced my car in the past couple of months now, and best finish was 3rd quaifiying 8th. But the car did suffer some damage from other races, chassis was cracked, and the upper bumper mount plate was shattered.
milf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:05 AM   #649
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

The Hudy's are doing great. They finished well on the list for the club race held by the Snowbirds.

http://www.rctech.net/events/snowbirds2002/index.shtml
Old 02-08-2002, 11:01 PM   #650
Tech Rookie

Hey,

After Getting the aluminum shock bodies, and properly setting up the car, it ran picture perfect for this weeks race...A problem I had was constant traction rolling. Now the following will sound very weird....

I checked my camber with the hudy setup...-1 degrees all around...Then I checked it with the RPM camber gauge...It was positive camber! Just telling by eye, it looked either 0 degrees or a bit more...

Now after running the car tuned by RPM camber gauge, it ran flawlessly...I even set lap record for my main ... Whats going on? I am setting it up on the same surface.

BTW, i LOVE xray now! Now I just have to work on consistency!
MULDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:51 AM   #651
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

I would trust the Hudy Setup more!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 09:05 AM   #652
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would trust whatever kept my car from rolling over!
Old 02-09-2002, 11:29 AM   #653
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Do your wheels wobble if you spin them? If so that would throw the RPM guage off.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:02 PM   #654
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Spongebob: great call. That could definitely cause the differences in the gauges. And could be responsible for the traction rolling. Especially if at some point during the turn, the wheels are actually going to positive camber!

dtm: I guess you were right, the Hudy does eliminate the wheel factor.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:22 PM   #655
Tech Rookie

Hmm, good suggestions. The wheel and rubber tires were brand new. I think the hudy is more accurate but doesnt take into consideration the wheel 'factor'. I think the RPM gauge gives a more 'real' value.

What I will do is to put on brand new rims and compare hudy values to RPM values.

What I dont like to think is that I am adjusting my cars handling by changing the camber...I just want the right amount of camber for even tire wear. I will race again next week and will report my findings. Perhaps the hudy is better for foam tires where it doesnt deform like rubber tires?

Also, after adjusting with the RPM gauge, when I put it back on to the HUDY, it read -2 degrees all around...Exactly 1 degree off the initial value. I found that interesting since it was so precise.
MULDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:14 PM   #656
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I usually start with one to two degrees negative camber then see where the tires are wearing and adjust so they wear evenly across the whole tire. Its easier to see the wear on new tires.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 11:20 PM   #657
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Thistle

Hi guys...
Well, I've been thinking about it long enough... My X-Ray is on it's way. I've looked through this thread, and seen the recommendation for spare bearings and steering blocks. Is there anything else worth getting? (Spares or upgrades) I'll mostly be running on carpet with foam tires, though occasionally I'll use rubber. Can anyone give me a good set-up to start out with?
Thanks.
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 11:22 PM   #658
Tech Master

Go to myTSN.com and do a search for XRAY setups. The is a link on the right side for setups and then a search option on the next page.

If you wait awhile, they may post Ralph Burch's carpet setup. Be sure to register with mytsn so when your XRAY VIP membership arrives you can register your kit.

Last edited by RCCadet; 02-10-2002 at 11:26 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:38 AM   #659
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Thistle

What an awesome site...Thanks!
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:41 AM   #660
Tech Master

You are welcome, be sure to check this thread and MyTSN often.