R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2002, 12:36 AM   #631
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Buster Bennett

Mulder,

I do not understand what you mean by “require a greater centrifugal force”. Or did you mean to say it would cause a greater centrifugal force?

The only other thing that could be effected by shortening the wheelbase and adding more weight over the rear tires is the “polar moment of inertia”.
Picture your car as a set of barbells with 50 pounds of weights at each end. Picture trying to quickly turn and stop the bar bell while holding it. Because of momentum, it’s hard to turn, and hard to stop turning once it starts. Now, move the weights in close to the center of the bar and try it again. The bar turns, and stops turning, much more easily because the weights have less distance to travel. Reduced polar moment of inertia makes a car feel like it "wants" to change direction. The car feels better and the suspension is easier to tune.

This is why it is important to try to keep the weight in the center of the car as much as possible. The more centered the weight is in the mass of the car, the faster the car will respond to direction changes, of course the rest of the car must also be set-up correctly.

Keep us posted on your results!
And HAVE FUN!
Buster Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:47 AM   #632
Tech Adept

Mulder and All,

I suggest reading the following pages, it is quite informative.

http://members.aol.com/scaleracer/setup/rc101tires.htm

http://members.aol.com/scaleracer/setup/rc101susp01.htm

http://members.aol.com/scaleracer/setup/rc101susp02.htm
Old 02-02-2002, 02:45 AM   #633
Tech Regular

Hey Guys I need to know your general feeling on the T1. I have raced 1/8 on-road for the last 4 years and I need something to do to keep polished in the off season. Since I am already set up with Serpent I was hoping I could just get a T1 and have the support from Serpent. Will Jaco wheels fit? I heard from somewhere that because of the knuckle some wheels may not clear? Lemme know, I think the only track around my place is Ozite and they are running Mod on foams. Thanx in advance.
IKE
FoamDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 05:51 AM   #634
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

foamdonuts, I run TRC's and they don't hit. I think the Jacos touch but very little. You can trim some on the knuckle or shave the wheel to stop it from touching.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 05:51 AM   #635
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

foamdonuts, I run TRC's and they don't hit. I think the Jacos touch but very little. You can trim some on the knuckle or shave the wheel to stop it from touching.

Good luck if you get the car. It's the best electric TC out there, IMHO.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:52 AM   #636
Tech Regular

GT,
I think i was mistaken, the C4 has problems with the rims hitting the knuckle, not the T1. But, keep the opinions coming on whether or not I should get the T1 or something else.
Thanx
IKE
Old 02-02-2002, 03:27 PM   #637
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally posted by FoamDonuts
GT,
But, keep the opinions coming on whether or not I should get the T1 or something else.
Thanx
IKE
LOL!! Why would we recommend something else? This is the XRAY T1 thread, there is nothing else worth recommending.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:38 PM   #638
Tech Regular

Cadet,
I know, I am just trying to see if anyone has anything negative to say about the T1. From what I have seen as long as you have parts that you need they are fairly inexpensive(except for the bulkheads) and they dont break that often. I was just seeing if there was any advice out there.
IKE
Old 02-03-2002, 12:46 AM   #639
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Just giving you a hard time. I would recommend extra steering blocks and a set (12) of 10x15x4 bearings. That is all really, I guess. I bought a lot of other stuff and have not used it. I did break my upper bumper brace but made my own out of kydex initially and finally out of titanium. I would also recommend drive shaft plastic caps. I wore out a pair while running Mod.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:24 PM   #640
Tech Regular

Cadet,
Is that pretty much the extent of the spares that you carry with you at the track?
IKE
Old 02-03-2002, 10:51 PM   #641
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by FoamDonuts
Cadet,
Is that pretty much the extent of the spares that you carry with you at the track?
IKE
That is all I can think of. This car is very reliable. While racing, I have broken three steering blocks. I have a bunch of front arms (upper & lower), rear arms, rear uprights, a bunch of steering blocks. I have many other pieces also but not really needed them. I went through two sets of bearings, and three steering blocks. That's it.

I was carrying no spares when I had the Pro 2, to carrying a ton of spares (as you have seen) with the TC3, so I bought a lot for the XRAY. I've not needed most of it so I ended up selling some of it to other unfortunate XRAY racers and still do to this day.

This is a very reliable and durable kit. Good luck finding someone that will trade thier XRAY for your FTT3, if that happens you will have accomplished the impossible.

Last edited by RCCadet; 02-03-2002 at 11:12 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 11:15 PM   #642
Tech Regular

Yeah,
I know I am trying to be more realistic. I changed my post to only sale or trade for FTTC3(Know anyone with a FTTC3???? ) maybe lightning will strike. I will prolly end up buying the T1 out of pocket and using the money from my T3 sale to buy a quantum or something like that. Thanx again cadet.
IKE
Old 02-03-2002, 11:38 PM   #643
Tech Adept

MULDER!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

How did everything go???
Old 02-04-2002, 02:42 PM   #644
Tech Rookie

Hey Buster, I read those sites you recommended and they are excellent. Fridays race did not go as I planned unfortunately...There were 3 qualifiers and 1 main.

First qualifier: I had bought new tires and apparently, did not use enough glue..So I had to retire early on as one of them came off the rim.

2nd : Running alrite but the rear was really acting funny...turning left the car would just 'rotate' 90 degrees and stop dead in the direction of the turn. Turning right was very unresponsive and slow.

I tried playing with the caster and weight of the oil but to no avail. I dont want to go on about the rest of the race.

I went home frustrated, took apart my car and to my surprise the front shocks were totally seized...I had to use some force to move them up and down...This explain the cars 'chattering' and excessive traction rolls ( which never happened to me before ). I lightly sanded the shock piston and bought the metal shocks bodies and problem solved..Somehow the plastic ones were 'warped' just a little bit....

As you can see, my experience the past few weeks after I got my one way have not been very pleasant...I was winning races with the stock setup but decided I want to adapt to the one way style of driving. Hopefully now with my car 'functional', I can come report some useful experiences.

btw, even with the awful bit about the shocks, the car was much esaier to control out of turns with the center one way locked. With it loose, the car wanted to oversteer.
MULDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:35 PM   #645
Tech Adept

That's to bad about your problems, but it looks like you are figureing them all out.

Keep us posted on your further experiance.

I have also added 2 pages to my site, which cover "polar moment of inertia" and "slip angle". I hope the pages make sense to everone.

I am off to Florida for the snowbird race! So I will not be at the shop until next Wed. Sorry for any problems this may cause.

Happy Racing!