R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #6136
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just called Serpent about my back order. They said that they had just gotten a bunch of the short arms in and that they would ship them out today. The only problem is that it is going to cost me another $10 shipping for $30 worth of parts.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:01 AM   #6137
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Hey all,

Big thanks to Toasty, Bsydor, crash and Pucho and Alex for the help on the Xray down there. Much needed parts were bought and traded. IN the end I ran my D1, but the Xray w/ short arms has majr promise. But man-oh man does it have a ton of steering!! Will be testig it at the Gate as soon as I can.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #6138
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can someone tell me the difference in handling form (3* kickup-3* caster) vs. (0* kickup-6* caster). Which is best for high bite carpet?
alien too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:17 AM   #6139
Tech Addict

More kickup will make the front end dive more at corner entry or braking (I don't use brakes on carpet - kills too much momentum). Other wise they will be the same for turn in performance.

On bumpy paved tracks, kick up is used to smooth out the front end. Most carpet tracks are glass smooth and it's not a factor.

Personally, I do whatever I can to reduce the amount of mass transfer in the car. makes it more predictable and stable. Hence I run with 3* kick down and 6* caster blocks ( at least this worked last race. See my post a few days back. bottom of page 204 )

I think most people at my track run with 0* kick and 3* blocks. 6* bites too hard for me, though it feals more progressive on turn in.

I've also noticed a bit of disagreement on what exactly caster does as far as car handling goes. To me it feals like different caster setting have different effects depending on car speed. Just my $0.02.

More caster means more bite at high speed, less caster meens more bite at low speed. Probably due to more chassis lean and tire deformation at high speed.

Last edited by sands; 02-12-2004 at 11:56 AM.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #6140
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Rob Hochberg

More caster will also increase camber in the apex of your turn, put your car on a tweak board, turn the wheel on your radio and watch what happens.
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #6141
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hello X-Ray owners,

I just want to share with you guys that we will now be carrying X-ray car kits and parts. I know a lot of people have request us to do so and I must apologize for taking a long time for this to happen.

We have the X-ray M18 micro in stock with spare parts coming in next week. We also have a pre-order going for the X-Ray T1 Factory kit (Congrats to Ralph Burch for his win at snow birds) These kits should be arriving end of the month. And we just got word that the T1M 1/12th scale are finally here, so we should be receiving those in about 1 week as well.

Lastly, we will soon be offering titanium screw kits for the T1 and the T1M x-ray sedans

I hope to we provide another good source for X-ray products for all current and future X-ray owners

Thanks for reading and if you guys have any suggestions on what we should carry, we will definitely listen. Please send me an email at: [email protected]

Thanks again

Steve Wang
Old 02-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #6142
Tech Apprentice

i use 3*deg caster for more off power steering (corner entry) & 6*deg for more on power steering (exitin the corner)...
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:10 PM   #6143
Tech Addict

Yah, I see that too. I still get some different behaviors at different speeds though. Maybe it's a mass transfer thing. All the other suspension settings are pretty straight up - but caster is the only one where I "just have to experiment".

It's also a track specific thing. At my local, we have a decreasing radius turn at the end of the main straight. If you run too much caster, you'll push pretty bad. To make the car turn in, you need to get off the gas, which will let everybody pass you into the corner so you loose your line...

I've read on a number of sites some conflicting information on caster angle, most seam to say what you said above, but some say the other way.

Personally, I've only run 6* to settle down the car on a fast, bumpy, straight section. Seams to track better.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #6144
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Short Arms

I just placed a order with Ashford for a buncha parts including short arms which are coming in monday. Is anything else required to use them? From what I can tell they look like they should just fit on...
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:34 PM   #6145
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to DT-Skyline Send a message via Yahoo to DT-Skyline Send a message via Skype™ to DT-Skyline

The Xray T1 sounds good and looks good with it's driveshaft. But i'm still happy with my HPI RS4 Micro But, u can try to convince me to get an XRay T1. I just might get one.
DT-Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:00 PM   #6146
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by DT-Skyline
The Xray T1 sounds good and looks good with it's driveshaft.
DT, what driveshaft?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #6147
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i think he is lost. looking for m18 thread

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #6148
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hello X-Ray owners,

We also have a pre-order going for the X-Ray T1 Factory kit
Great news Steve! I've already pre-ordered my Factory Kit.
KMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:23 AM   #6149
Tech Apprentice

Default XRAY bulkheads

X-rayers,

I apologize in advance is this has been previously asked, but are the bulkheads on the TIR and the T1 EVO 2 compatiable, having the same foot print?

I'm buying a new BMI chassis and have a TIR and want to know if the bulks will work?

Anyone know off hand?

Thanks... James
MicroJunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #6150
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yep , all the bulks have the same footprint, evo 2 , t1r,
t1m, and t1evo2 factory kit

The ONE that DIES with the Most Toys WINS!!!
ICEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote