R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #4801
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
How do you know? Did you weigh them?

My personal opinion is that the low ratio pullies make no difference at all assuming you go back to the same FDR or rollout. Maybe Ralph can see a difference in lap times, but nobody including myself at our club races are capable of driving the car well enough to see a difference in lap times. Cypress and Rob- I'm curious if you have actually made back to back runs with teh same motors and batteries only changing the pullies to see if there is a change in lap times? I'm betting there isn't, but I have been wrong before...

I'm sorry if I seem like a pessimist, but I come from drag racing and we made one change at a time. If it didn't help, we went right back to what we were using before. When I was running my Missions I never saw one little tiny bit of help from chaging pulleys, putting pretty purple aluminum parts on the car, or upgrading to the new style diffs. Why? Cause the car wasn't any faster with that stuff, with me driving it. It was just eye candy or durablility. I just paid $7.50 for aluminum servo mounts on my T1R. Will it be faster? No- I'm just a sucker. (my alum. servo mounts are irrelevant to LR pulleys- just thought I would share )
BigDog, I know where you're coming from as I beleive the same but the guys in the VIP rooms are saying "the car will get up to speed quicker", this could be a sales pitch then again it could be not...I however am started to beleive this as the point of the smaller pulleys lies in not changing the internal but changing the efficiency of the drivetrain, here it is, with smaller pulleys you have less belt contact on the pulleys which creates less drag in the drivetrain
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:58 PM   #4802
Tech Elite

and I carry your link...lol, JK
Old 09-26-2003, 12:00 AM   #4803
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by proudwinner
but the guys in the VIP rooms are saying "the car will get up to speed quicker", this could be a sales pitch then again it could be not

There is no $ex in the VIP room

And as for sales pitch........ radio shack has a good deal on a great car that could be competive.And it has a great lower gear ratio than any xray
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:08 AM   #4804
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
There is no $ex in the VIP room

And as for sales pitch........ radio shack has a good deal on a great car that could be competive.And it has a great lower gear ratio than any xray
I didn't know you went there looking for $ex littledog . When you start making it out of the B mains maybe then I will start listening to you.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:33 AM   #4805
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

From my testing, the 1.77 gearing has been better for me.

1. It eliminates strain on the drivetrain, faster flowing = less stress for the motor to overcome = faster spool up.

2. You can run a smaller pinion to get the same rollout = less rotational mass/increased torque.

Im now in the front of the pack for the hole shot into the first turn with the 1.77's where with the 2.125's I was towards the end cause I couldn't get the low end grunt. This also helps me spool up quicker around turns. To each his own, but it's good money spent for me.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #4806
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BHenderson Send a message via MSN to BHenderson Send a message via Yahoo to BHenderson

BigDog,

How can you say that the 1.77 pulleys make no difference in the car? There is a difference between the 1.77 and the 2.125 pulley set.

I mean just think about it, For each complete turn of the wheels on the car, with the old gears, the spur gear must turn 2.125 times. With the new pulleys the spur gear needs to turn only 1.77 times. With the new pulleys the car does not have to work as hard to turn the tires, which in turn will help in acceleration in the car.

This is just dealing with the Internal Car ratio, not the spur/pinion size or FDR.

Last edited by BHenderson; 09-26-2003 at 10:09 AM.
BHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:09 AM   #4807
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BHenderson Send a message via MSN to BHenderson Send a message via Yahoo to BHenderson

but BigDog I do see what you are saying with the FDR. If they are they are the same, what difference would the pulleys make? In that case I would tend to agree with ya, none
Old 09-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #4808
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default 2.125 VS 1.77

We have been running the same track lay out for the past month. With the 2.125 pulleys my lap times were around 8.3 to 8.4s. When I switched to the 1.77s my lap times went down to 8.1s to 8.0s with a fast lap of 7.9. The car definetly felt like it had more punch out of the corners as well as a lot more top end.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:33 AM   #4809
Regional Moderator

I think if you ran a car with the 1.77 pulleys and the 2.125 pulleys side by side, with the same FDR and similar motors and batteries, that the 1.77 car would accelerate faster than the 2.125 car. And at the end of a 150ft straight the 1.77 car would still be in front.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #4810
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With the new pulleys can yo run the one-wayshaft or do you have to have the solid? What are most running?
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #4811
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
How do you know? Did you weigh them?

My personal opinion is that the low ratio pullies make no difference at all assuming you go back to the same FDR or rollout. Maybe Ralph can see a difference in lap times, but nobody including myself at our club races are capable of driving the car well enough to see a difference in lap times. Cypress and Rob- I'm curious if you have actually made back to back runs with teh same motors and batteries only changing the pullies to see if there is a change in lap times? I'm betting there isn't, but I have been wrong before...

I'm sorry if I seem like a pessimist, but I come from drag racing and we made one change at a time. If it didn't help, we went right back to what we were using before. When I was running my Missions I never saw one little tiny bit of help from chaging pulleys, putting pretty purple aluminum parts on the car, or upgrading to the new style diffs. Why? Cause the car wasn't any faster with that stuff, with me driving it. It was just eye candy or durablility. I just paid $7.50 for aluminum servo mounts on my T1R. Will it be faster? No- I'm just a sucker. (my alum. servo mounts are irrelevant to LR pulleys- just thought I would share )
Didn't run 'em back to back on the same day, but did run'em on the same layout two weeks straight. The change, as previously stated, has more to do with efficiency (less bind) than anything else. As anybody with a TC3 will tell you, an out of the box kit will not accelerate nearly as quickly as one with the massaged diff cases and properly shimmed diffs. It's less about rollout than it is the ability to more effictively spin-up and slow down the rotating mass. The car is not only quicker, but seems to brake harder (natural drag brake off throttle, and actual brake application), as well. I feel it's the MOST important upgrade to make on the car.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:51 AM   #4812
Tech Elite

Default 1.77 Pulleys

Quote:
Originally posted by 429racer
With the new pulleys can yo run the one-wayshaft or do you have to have the solid? What are most running?
With the 1.77 pulleys you have to use the solid layshaft. Of course people on here are using the puleys with the stock shaft. They just made some mods to it.

The solid pulley is alot lighter and therefore does contribute to the overall perofmance gain from the 1.77 pulleys. Plus if you run a one-way diff then this shaft helps contribute to the drivetrain even more. Even if you do not use the 1.77 pulleys.

Later,
Old 09-27-2003, 09:21 AM   #4813
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks CRASH! I am building a new EVO 2 and I was going to put on the new pulleys and 3mm belt. Any hints or tricks that I should look out for? I have been driving a TC3 and a Losi XXXS for too long. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank You!
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:27 AM   #4814
Tech Elite

429racer,

There is no tips or tricks to building this car. It does not get any easier then this. Just take your time and enjoy. The car right out of the box is pretty much dialed for any surface.

Later
Old 09-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #4815
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 429racer
Thanks CRASH! I am building a new EVO 2 and I was going to put on the new pulleys and 3mm belt. Any hints or tricks that I should look out for? I have been driving a TC3 and a Losi XXXS for too long. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank You!
429racer, if you are going to get the evo2 freedom of choice kit there is no need to buy the 3mm rear belt as it comes standard in the kit, at least mine did.