Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Question, I see that some are saying the new pulleys increase acceleration, is this true or just speculation??? From what I understand the new pulleys lower the internal gear ratio to 1.77 from 2.125 which would make me think acceleration would decrease. Is this increase in acceleration, despite the lower internal gear ratio, due to the drive train having less friction???
Old 06-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bummer Ray! I figured there'd be no better way to get an idea than by unbiased test at the GATE. I guess we'll know soon enough though.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So using the 1.77 gear ratio, you're still looking for a 6.9 to 7.5 depending on the track for a monster stock correct? Say I run a 120/35 with the 2.125, that gives me a 7.29, to get the same ratio for the 1.77 I would have to run a 120/29 roughly. Changing to the smaller pinion results in the faster acceleration if I am correct on my theory.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cypress-I will most likely go again tomorrow. Maybe bring two charged packs this time!!! hahaha!!!

I will report findings when I can get some consistent data and laptimes!!! I knew I was in trouble when I went around a fast corner lifted for the next one and spun out!!! But the tracks a new layout and it hasnt been run on in a week. It hasnt formed a groove yet.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Man Ray, IF you used Paragon you'd have had GRIP!! J/K!!!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: But do I really need them?

Originally posted by racenut123
They are realyl pricey{aluminum} and I can justify buying a whole composite kit for the price of 2 front blocks.Ouch!What do you fellas think?
Do you need them NO! the composite stuff is plenty strong, In a month and a half of running the car I have yet to breack a part exept for the front weel hubs that got all ugly on me and a front bone was bent but not broken I could have kept running it. I would aggree with the other as it is what I did I purchased a composite convertion kit to have spares and I also baught the roll center bridge and a front oneway.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rc-zombies
I got my pullies for $34.00 and 3mm belt for $8.00
I think hobbyshops will be retailing them for $ 29.95 in a couple of weeks, but those who didn't wait won a couple more races already. LOL

Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rayhuang
racenut123-Also add the carpet/foam shock tower if your gonna run foam tires on carpet. If not-the Ultra tune shock tower is fine!!! All your choices are good and needed.

Also Get:

-C-hubs left and right in 3 and 6 degrees. get 2 per side for the 6 degree and 1 per side on the 3 degree.

-Buy the #300900 composite C-hub kit.

-Front adjustible sway bar or the new wire front sway bars.

-Buy any top decks that fit your needs. If outdoors, stock may be fine, but if carpet/foams your bag baby, get the solid top deck.

That should do it. Cars pretty tough and the #300900 kits got a lot of parts in ti your likely to bend or break.
My suggestion besides the above, I would most definately suggest the 22mm Spring Steel Wheel Hex Hubs. They are mandatory for the front. Once you crashed or hit the board a few times, the ALU ones will eat into the bearings. Happy Racing!

Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rc-zombies
If you're running very low turn mods...the new pullies wear out quickly. and they don't sell the pullies seperately yet.
Yes, that is correct and since the pulley itself is molded plastics, it's always a great idea to get an extra set just in case. I had a rock sucked into the center layshaft and it really messed up the center pulley.

Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Front c hubs

Should I run the aluminum or will the composite be fine?
It really depends on your track. If you're running on carpet, then the ALU will always be better. Bare in mind they are very expensive and although I've never seen one break, but they do bent. I've bent a couple running an 8 Turn mod. (Got squeezed into the board while running my silly one-way. LOL).

Or if on asphalt, the composite is fine and inexpensive to replace. But they will break or snap once you hard kissed the board. I would definately suggest stocking an couple of extra C-hub blocks and maybe a knuckle or two.

Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Devin
Jimmy, I wanted to say thank you publically for all the help that you have given me. Your setups are great, you have awesome tips that I have never thought of before and you bring a great joy to this hobby/competition that I wouldn't have without you. Thanks again and good luck.

Most of all, keep in touch!

Everyone else on this thread, Ray, RCZombies, Neil and the other great Xray folks, my hats off to you too for all kinds of good information! It only gets better..

John
John,

Thank you for the compliment. You're making me blush now. I try to do my share and because of racers like you, it is more than worthwhile for me and other R&D developers to constantly test and try new methods. I will definately keep in touch!

Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by The Teacher
Question, I see that some are saying the new pulleys increase acceleration, is this true or just speculation??? From what I understand the new pulleys lower the internal gear ratio to 1.77 from 2.125 which would make me think acceleration would decrease. Is this increase in acceleration, despite the lower internal gear ratio, due to the drive train having less friction???
It actually pulls harder giving you faster acceleration with less rolling mass and since you're gearing the car the same way with almost the same ratio. You are bound to go faster with the rear rotating less per turn. Example would be say it's 2.2 turns per rotation down to 1.77 turns per rotation or something like that. hehe.

Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Devin
So using the 1.77 gear ratio, you're still looking for a 6.9 to 7.5 depending on the track for a monster stock correct? Say I run a 120/35 with the 2.125, that gives me a 7.29, to get the same ratio for the 1.77 I would have to run a 120/29 roughly. Changing to the smaller pinion results in the faster acceleration if I am correct on my theory.
Hi Devin,

Yes, the actuals would be 120/29=7.32 final ratio. The only difference is that your acceleration would be quicker due to the lower internal gear ratio. So say in a standing start in the beginning of an A-Main, you're chances of getting out in front is much faster then you were with the old ratio. Hope this helps.

Jimmy
Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default I am so hyped on running this car.

Thanks for your guys help.My evo3 was nice but I did not like having to wrench on the front for a little board slap.I keep seeing that this car is not hype but an excellent car,even though its not a shaft.Who knows,if xray decides to go that way,if they make me happy now I will be loyal if they ever jump on that band wagon.Ok I need particulars.

Buy the Composite Conversion kit.
Rear roll center bridge
What about the New pullies?Yeah or neah?
Front blade sway bar.
What about when carpet season comes around?What parts will I specifically need?Also what about the aluminum shock bodies?
Or are the plastics just fine?IS the Spring kit worth the investment also.Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: I am so hyped on running this car.

Thanks for your guys help.My evo3 was nice but I did not like having to wrench on the front for a little board slap.I keep seeing that this car is not hype but an excellent car,even though its not a shaft.Who knows,if xray decides to go that way,if they make me happy now I will be loyal if they ever jump on that band wagon.Ok I need particulars.

Buy the Composite Conversion kit.
Rear roll center bridge
What about the New pullies?Yeah or neah?
Front blade sway bar.
What about when carpet season comes around?What parts will I specifically need?Also what about the aluminum shock bodies?
Or are the plastics just fine?IS the Spring kit worth the investment also.Thanks again!

Buy the Composite Conversion kit. Yes
Rear roll center bridge. Yes
What about the New pullies?Yeah or neah? Yes, but practice with the old one first.
Front blade sway bar. No..get the new wire front say bar kit..soon to be released.
What about when carpet season comes around?What parts will I specifically need? don't know..haven't race carpet yet...possibly the stiffer upperdeck.
Also what about the aluminum shock bodies?
Or are the plastics just fine?Yes/no..plastic ones work fine..aluminum ones are for looks..even thou I have them..hehehehehe
IS the Spring kit worth the investment also. Yes, but I find that I don't use all of them. After you find a set-up that works consistanly...you may end up not using the rest.

Other stuff... replace the stock shock bladders with GS Silicone bladders...they will leak less and get better rebound...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.