R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2001, 09:42 AM   #346
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner
Default E-Shop - others should follow example

Props out to XRay for their new E-shop. THAT's the way it should be done! Pictures, descriptions, part numbers and prices all layed out simply and beautifully I might add. And you can actually order what you need. AE, Losi, Yokomo, etc should follow suit. So Far, I am amazed at XRay's approach to launching a new company, a car that is high quality and actually performs, developing optional parts, customer support and documentation, and now making parts available to anybody with an internet connection and method of payment. Hopefully turnaround time and stock quantities are as well prepared for as every other aspect of the T1.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 09:57 AM   #347
Tech Apprentice

I realize that but our setup is based on one of our locals who dominated Las Vegas. The car config is quick for stock. I notice that it is probably better for stock than mod. with mod i am getting alot more wheel spin out of a corner,especially at the rear. I think the wheel spin directly related to the power of the motor and not the weight balance.
Another note, the corally was configured this way with the staggered battery config.
I run the car relatively stock with minor mods. One was increasing the steering with mods to the arms. not much weight added either. Car is well sorted and just needs the driver to pickup the pace by staying off the %#)@(*_)@#%(*&^ dots.

Have you used the Anti roll bars?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 11:49 AM   #348
Tech Fanatic

Default Xray E-Shop

I wish xray would open the e-shop to people in the UK as parts distribution is appaling. Now what i need to do is find someone in the US i can ship my parts to and get them some bits then get them to send my bits on to me! Any offers? Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 11:58 AM   #349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Rick: Hopefully you can get someone on the east coast to help you. I am additional freight cost to the effort by living in Texas.

Last edited by RCCadet; 11-28-2001 at 09:31 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:24 PM   #350
Tech Adept

Default Bits and Parts...hehe

Rick - one of the problems is in customs. I'd be happy to help you out but you realize that each time that you order, shipping gets expensive because they have to go through customs paperwork to get to you.

If you can't get parts, email me at [email protected] and I'll see if we can't figure out a way to help you out.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:27 PM   #351
Tech Adept

Mad Max - where is your receiver and Speed Control positioned on your setup? I'm currently running foams and I have tried the rear swaybar so far. I've got the front one mounted but I haven't engaged it because I have just the right amount of steering and don't need it yet. The rear bar flattens it out a bit and gave me more corner speed because I needed to slightly free up the rear of the car. They even designed the bar in a way that still allows you to access the droop screws with a straight handled wrench.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:28 PM   #352
Tech Apprentice

nice!

The receiver is on top of the steering servo. I use the kopropo. I use a novak hpc for the speed control. I think I have a half ounce of weight on the right side. upfront.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 04:12 PM   #353
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the offer Dave, i am going to speak to the UK distributor and see if things will be getting better anytime soon but if not i might well contact you. This week i have ordered some BSR foam tyres from www.RC4Less.com as they are in very short supply in the UK at the moment and no one can get any. Thanks for the offer. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 01:09 AM   #354
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

I found a Sandvik titanium plate. It is 160x62x1 millimeters. It is incredibly strong not wanting to flex at all. I am thinking of using it for my upper bumper brace.

Any input on my idea?
Old 11-30-2001, 12:34 AM   #355
Tech Adept

RCCadet - Why? Having problems with the graphite one?
Old 11-30-2001, 02:50 AM   #356
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Kurschner
RCCadet - Why? Having problems with the graphite one?
Correct. I dislike how easily it splintered (sp?) from hitting the back end of another moving nitro car. I've been forced into the boards nose first and the transponder upper brace crumbled. Nothing happen to the TC3's A-arm that should have failed.

I examined the nitro and thought of something sticking off it at the right level making contact with my car. The backend of the nitro is vertically flat. I was in the process of trying to avoid the collision and most of the energy was aborbed by the left front of the upper brace.

Someone that use to post here regularly had the nose of his chassis splinter. I luckily have not experienced that fate but can see it happening.

I applied glue to the splintered upper brace and ran it in that condition for four months. In that time I have seen other models suffer the same injury, others with woven graphite upper bumper braces.

I either need more foam bumper or a stronger material. Right now I have titanium and this coming Sunday someone is bringing the material used for aircraft raydomes. The raydome stuff is less than a millimeter thick and resist impacts from birds at the velocity commercial airliners travel. It is an excellent and lighter choice.

More later.

Last edited by RCCadet; 11-30-2001 at 03:24 AM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 08:01 AM   #357
Tech Adept

Default Bumper Upper Brace

Didn't you originally seal it with CA? But I can see how the transponder brace and pre-cut bumper would not be quite as durable as stock one that comes with the car. The stock foam bumper is quite a bit thicker than the cut one. So you have to squeeze the foam bumper with the brace to get the screws all the way tight. This would make the foam bumper able to absorb higher impacts.

The transponder bumper is still very nice but the design of it calls for a thinner foam bumper that just fits without much force. Otherwise I think that the graphite brace would be able to lay flat when tightened on the thick stock foam.

Alot of people make bumper braces out of either Kydex or black graphite (Not the woven kind). Both can be purchased as sheets at many LHS's. In most cases you want strength, but you also need some give. Without any give, damage to the car on hard impact is more likely to occur.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:54 AM   #358
Tech Master

Default Re: Bumper Upper Brace

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Kurschner
Didn't you originally seal it with CA?

In most cases you want strength, but you also need some give. Without any give, damage to the car on hard impact is more likely to occur.
I have coated the edges with CA as per the instructions found in the manual.

Transfer of energy is one of my main concerns and fortunately I have access to foam (wife's company) that is slightly harder that the soft pillow that comes with the car. One of the characteristics of the raydome stuff and titanium (if cut right) is they will both flex and return with no memory. I am using Kydex now on the FTTC3 and it does stretch with memory of the last impact. Didn't think about the black graphite.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:26 PM   #359
Tech Adept

Default black graphite

I know I've seen it sold by Team Cobra. We had some braces made out of it for a different car. Seems to me that you just had a twist of bad luck. Its a solid bumper design for a touring car. I think its good enough to replace it with the same thing because doing that to it again seems unlikely. But if you frequently have board meetings and one-on-one's with nitro cars, perhaps a different piece might works. really all that it needs is a think plastic strip piece on its edge that will absorb the high-G impacts. like the corner protectors for 1/12th scale chassis. Wonder if you could do something like that?
Old 11-30-2001, 02:31 PM   #360
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kaliboy

The main problem I've been having is thet upper bumper brace. I feel that something a little more flexible would be more beneficial. A good hit to the front would just snap the graphite. It isn't so much a problem as I just glue it back together and just run it some more.

The other problem I am having is gettting the front bearings out of the steering hubs. I've tried the method described in the booklet but this thing is just stuck. The only reason why I was taking the assembly apart was to service the bearings. I'm just about to dremel off the block. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
Kaliboy is offline   Reply With Quote