R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2001, 08:05 PM   #331
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Hey guys, I just got my T1 last night and have it finished aside the electics. Buster helped me out alot in getting the kit. He's a real nice guy. I'm looking forward to running the car soon. The instructions are the best I've seen (100 plus kits under my belt)and assembly went without a problem at all. Man I really like the car. My only gripe is the use of saddle packs but I can live with that. Everything else is top notch and of the highest quality.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 05:23 AM   #332
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by GT4-R Terror
Hey guys, I just got my T1 last night and have it finished aside the electics. Buster helped me out alot in getting the kit. He's a real nice guy. I'm looking forward to running the car soon. The instructions are the best I've seen (100 plus kits under my belt)and assembly went without a problem at all. Man I really like the car. My only gripe is the use of saddle packs but I can live with that. Everything else is top notch and of the highest quality.
No doubt about that too !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 08:21 AM   #333
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner
Default Saddle Packs

I thought about them too for about 5 seconds. Saddle packs really aren't a big deal at all. I'd much rather have saddles and a car that is balanced like the XRay is. And the battery hold down system makes dealing with saddles quite simple. I can get packs in and out of the car very quickly.

I built mine puting the batteries in the #1 (rear on both sides) position. My Quantum speedo and Novak adjustable receiver in the front left corner accross from the servo. I set ride height by puting the gage under each corner of the center section of the chassis. Then I threw the car on the MIP tweak station and the bubble split the uprights both ways. I didn't have to adjust anything. And even after racing it and smacking it around a bit, it stays that way.

Alot of times when you get a car that is not AE, Losi, or Yokomo, you don't really know what you are getting. Either setup is difficult, the car can't perform as well as others, parts are impossible to get, no support on the web, etc. From what I've experienced so far, XRay is continuously releasing factory optional parts, the web support is excellent, and parts are availble and reasonably priced if you contact the right hobby shops, and it has no shortcomings compared to the fastest TC chassis out there that I can see. I can definitely see this car gaining momentum and becoming a factor in the US as it is just now becoming more readily available.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 03:01 PM   #334
Tech Regular

Smile

Dave, you really like this car, don't you?
Baudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:11 AM   #335
Tech Adept

why yes I do..hehe. Back up to the top
Old 11-27-2001, 11:56 AM   #336
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dave: I wish there were more guys like you around the local tracks. People who now realise that it is possible to own a car other than Associated or Losi, and still get parts. I can stand when I get to the track and see that I'm racing agaist 20 Losi's and 20 TC3's and 20 Yokomo's and the occasional HPI thrown in.

I ask those people, "why do you want to run what everyone else is running?" The answer is always the same, like its a bad recording or something! "you can't get parts for those other cars" And then its insanely funny to watch the Losi guys all break the same part, so half of them leave the track because the shop didn't have the part or not enough of them! Good call on picking a car with plenty of parts support!

I run with a couple of the Xrays, and haven't seen one break yet. And one of our local guys really puts his to the test!

Those people really don't know what they are missing when they dismiss cars simply because they aren't locally supported.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:01 PM   #337
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I do have one question for you guys though.

The couple of guys I have seen running the car always ran it with the batteries with both sides of the pack in the rear. I see that most if not all of you run yours in that position. Why?

My Corally C4.1 is very well balance, not only side to side, but front to back with the pack positioned forward. Have any of you ever tried running your pack in the forward position?
Old 11-27-2001, 12:13 PM   #338
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Darkside, the cars do break. I rear ended a nitro....I was entering a turn full throttle, the nitro slowed for it and I didn't see it after rounding an earlier turn....and I broke the upper brace for the bumper. I go through steering blocks (6) when clipping turns. I have the car setup to enter and exit turns blazenly fast so if I judge a turn incorrertly I break. I take daring lines, pass during turns(squeeeeezing between a car and the turn), or loose control when tapped. Something has to give and it does break.

These past two months have been awesome. This car responds to the slightest command making it easy to weave through traffic. It is on rails through turns!! I thought of getting into the mainstream but will infact buy another T1 when the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited by RCCadet; 11-27-2001 at 12:43 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 12:19 PM   #339
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
I do have one question for you guys though.

The couple of guys I have seen running the car always ran it with the batteries with both sides of the pack in the rear. I see that most if not all of you run yours in that position. Why?

My Corally C4.1 is very well balance, not only side to side, but front to back with the pack positioned forward. Have any of you ever tried running your pack in the forward position?
I added weight to the front of my car to balance it ( not to counter battery weight, just for left and right balance). I had a lot of push prior to adding the weight.

I did try placing one side forward and found the car unstable. The car would bite very well into left hand turns and pushed in the fast right hand turns.

Last edited by RCCadet; 11-27-2001 at 12:23 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 12:49 PM   #340
Tech Adept

Default Battery Position

My answer is a mixture of seriousness along with a bit of jest. How could one ruin the look and feel of a symmetrically balanced Luxury TC like the T1? In the T1, If you run everything low to the chassis, you have to move your speedo to move the batteries. The question is, how much do the electronics on the front leftside of the car weigh in comparison to the servo accross from it. If you run your receiver on top of your servo on the right side, I can see needing to move the left side of the battery up one location to help offset the weight imbalance. But you couldn't balance better than to have the batteries accross from each other IMHO as long as you can match the electronics side to side.

I think there are suspension settings to take care of the steering if the car is balanced before I'd move battery and speedo around. If you simply can't get rid of understeer, then its worth looking at. I've only run the car on foams so far so my feelings may change when I slap the rubbers on it.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:18 PM   #341
Tech Apprentice

I run rubber and the batteries in the staggered config. Very fast no problem with push to oneside if you balance the car. Hudy was selling the weights and the balance for a reason. the car is light and will not make weight without at a roar event. might as well get the car as neutral as possible.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:56 PM   #342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
Those people really don't know what they are missing when they dismiss cars simply because they aren't locally supported.
Amen. I raced a Schumacher Axis Pro and a Corally AGLE last summer in Dallas with pretty much no local parts support, and it never seemed to be an issue. I'm running the XXX-S lately, and to be honest the parts situation is worse than when I ran the Shumacher and Corally. At least with those cars I could call Shumacher USA or Corally USA and have parts in my hand in a day or two. In my experience Schumacher USA and Corally USA always seemed to have anything I needed in stock for immediate shipment.

Trips
Old 11-27-2001, 02:32 PM   #343
Tech Adept

Mad Max - I would rather use the weights to bring weight forward than to stagger the batteries and put weights elsewhere to compensate. But if you put the eccentric aluminum pivot blocks, the belt tensioner, and the front and rear roll bar assemblies on the car, I think that it is much closer to making weight. So then you'd try to avoid adding the brass weights if at all possible
Old 11-27-2001, 03:03 PM   #344
Tech Master

Team XRAY announced earlier today that we in the USA now have an active E-shop. I do not see a problem in the future getting parts. I did not have a big problem in the past, but now we have a centralized point to get our parts.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:31 PM   #345
Tech Master

Default New E-Shop

Here is the URL: XRAY E-Shop