R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-02-2003, 06:07 PM   #3106
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by RCInfinity
I've discovered that the spools don't turn in as sharp as a one-way. In fact, the battery drains faster due to the added drag especially when braking or slowing down.
Yeah, the spool does give more drag. I've also notice that by running the main belt a little loose then normal, it'll compensate that drag along with better degreased bearings. That fraction of a second to turn into and out of the corners will be slight. Check out Pat's car from Integy. (you probably see him sometimes at your track). Although it's a Losi I believe, he's got extra smooth bearings and a slightly loose belt. I ran mine's a couple of months ago in Tokyo with the spools and the mentioned setup and didn't loose any efficiency at all.

Jimmy
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #3107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Fukuyama
LOL.. good to hear. Wait til you tried the new carbite thrust bearings that's out.
Jimmy
hmm ill have to check them out, maybe ill get some during the offseason this summer. im going to have to rebuild them sometime!lol

what are most of you guys running carpet with spools up front running in the center? oneway pulley or solid shaft?

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:08 PM   #3108
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho
Default Question about asembly

Im putting an evo2 together for a friend. so far it's everithing is going well. Now Im putting on the bumper it states that the body post shoud extend down through the foam bumper but thins thing seams to be too thick. Am I supose to just squeese it unlitt it fits? or does it need to be trimed? Also what pistons are you guys using?
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:48 PM   #3109
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Help

I encountered my first prob;lem with my car. The front axles wont press through the inner bearing races due to some distortion. This is in the aluminum steering knuckles. Short of destryoing the bearing and possibly destroying the steering knuckle-how can I press the axle out of the knuckle?

My only possible solution is to try and file the axle down-but theres almost no room to get a file in there. Again-dont want to detroy the knuckle!!!

Thanks guys,
Ray

p.s. I guess this is why I was told to buy the steel front axles-eh??
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:59 PM   #3110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey RayHuang,

Use a very small file and file down the edges. And yes the Spring steel hub are a must.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:04 PM   #3111
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quick way of fixing it would be to use a drill to spin the assembly. While its spining hold a file to the edge. If you dont have a drill big enough, put in the wheel screw a few threads and tighten the chuck around it. You could also pound out the hubs, but thats a PIA.
safaridog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:18 PM   #3112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I put a small barrel shaped tip in the dremel and grind away the high points, it takes care of the edge, and does not dmaage the parts.

i have done this a few times, but i will soon have to get the spring steel, as if you take too much material away around the whole circumference, there may be a chance of the C clip coming off.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:20 AM   #3113
Tech Regular

Done the same as the others. I did make a jig to pound out the hub, stress the bearing though. I got the spring steel for that reason.
Ray: I went 7 months without rebuilding the diff Gotta love the X-Ray for that aspect. I run my diff slightly tighter than you mentioned and with the pro one way pulls hard. Have the 1 way out now as the new track the car is way loose with a 1-way. Cannot be the driver yea right LOL
anyone looking for a pro 1 way?
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:37 AM   #3114
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

The last page of the setup book tells you how to pound the hub through the bearing. I have done it many times and I eventually went to spring steel front and rear hubs to elimate the problem. They do have more weight than the alum ones though but hell of a lot stronger and your wheels wont come off.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:56 AM   #3115
Tech Champion

Default aluminum axles revisited

Hey,

Thanks everyone!!! I thought the best solution would be to just file the highspots, but I didnt want to do it and find out you still cannot get the axle out. Its appears you can!!!

I can tell you this as well. my car HAD the soft arms on it and I replaced it with the medium. BIg difference!!! If youve got C-hub w/ soft arms, spend the $6 and replace the fronts with Medium. You'll be happy you did.

Ray
Old 04-03-2003, 08:56 AM   #3116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Filing the high spots isthe best way so the bearings and bearing race is not damaged from trying to force the hub through.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:19 AM   #3117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Ray, looks like I am heading your way this weekend along with Mo and some other Columbus boys. What traction additive do you guys use at your track?
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:23 AM   #3118
Tech Champion

AWSOME!!! Cannot wait to see you guys again!!!

You can run anything you want. We have Corally "jack the Gripper" for sale all the time if you want to go odorless!! I am sure MO's got some left too from his Nats domination tour!!!

Oh-yeah-Paragon is of course the favorite sauce, but were trying to get as many people to switch as possible.

Bring a table and chair!!! if you need one-I'll bring in a couple fr you guys. Just let me know so I can bring em Sunday.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #3119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Cool, I'll let everyone know. See ya sunday.
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:49 AM   #3120
Tech Champion

JBrake-great-some set-up help on the evo2 will be welcome!!! Are you going to run stock or 19 turn?