R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-02-2003, 12:15 PM   #3091
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-zombies
Locking up the front...wouldn't that achieve the same results as using the solid fronts....
Yes it would except that the Duraluminum Solid Fronts are weaker then the spring steels and when running mod, it might not want to take the stress. The spool is fine, it's the outdrive which I'm a little worried about. I might even consider epoxying the universal end with soft epoxy and running the Solid Fronts just to test it out. It might be an alternative but I'll have to try it out first since REEDY won't allow one-ways. If I can get it tight enough and shave whatever off and make it just enough so there some flex to absorb the stress, it'll last longer.

Jimmy
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:17 PM   #3092
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Diff vs. spool

The front diff-even when really, really tightned down is stil more forgiving on exit than a Spool and turns in better by far. Now-if you lock it down with epoxy or sandpaper-then its better only in the fact that a spool is lighter than a rigged up diff!!!
I run a front diff thats basically fully locked and it doesnt handle anything like a spool.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #3093
Tech Champion

Jimmy-good point-It helps the outdrives when they can give a little on hard collsion or when one wheels in air and ones on the track at full throttle.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #3094
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

locking down a normal diff up front may be more forgiving than a spool. but it might not have the yank off the corner that a spool would have.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:34 PM   #3095
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

How do you think an xray evo II would react to a locked rear with a front one way? Would you need to run a GTP or lola body for extra downforce? Is it worth it for an electric?
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:34 PM   #3096
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: Diff vs. spool

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
The front diff-even when really, really tightned down is stil more forgiving on exit than a Spool and turns in better by far. Now-if you lock it down with epoxy or sandpaper-then its better only in the fact that a spool is lighter than a rigged up diff!!!
I run a front diff thats basically fully locked and it doesnt handle anything like a spool.
instead of sandpaper..try replacing the diff ring with a locking washer from Homedepot. thin type..the ones that have teeth in them..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:42 PM   #3097
Tech Master

good thinking zombies. i know of some guys who have used the little pegs from traxxas slippers in their locked diffs in tc3 with succes. that could be an option too.

[email protected]
Old 04-02-2003, 12:51 PM   #3098
Tech Champion

Default Spaz456

How tight are you running your rear diff? MIne-you can still turn it while holding the rear tires and spur. On my Tc3-You'd break skin at the same time it squeeked a little. I was wondering if I am running it a tad too loose. My car is smooth on and off power so I am hesitant to change it and ruin the balance of my car.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #3099
Tech Master

last time i ran my xray on carpet, i had the front diff medium tight with the rear, just like you said, i could hold the rr tires and spur and turn the lr tire.

my tc3 is the same way, both diffs are tight as hell! hehe

[email protected]
Old 04-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #3100
Tech Master

btw running that set up there hasnt been a thing wrong with my diffs, they are both still as smooth as ever! i feel like i have neglect them because i rebuild my tc3 diffs so much more frequent then my xray diffs. lol

[email protected]
Old 04-02-2003, 01:29 PM   #3101
Tech Champion

spaz-I feel a slight hesitation in acceleartion in my car out of high loaded corners and thought-maybe rear diff is slipping and robbing me of speed. My car feels like its gets up on pipe!!! hahaha!!! Its okay then all of a sudden-wham it takes off!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #3102
Tech Master

hmmm, i never noticed that when i ran it. i wish i could try more stuff out on the car lately but our only local carpet track closed down a while back so i have had to travel to get track time on carpet and havnt got to run as much as i used to. but we should have a new track next winter.

[email protected]
Old 04-02-2003, 04:23 PM   #3103
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A properly set diff should be quite loose side to side, but have no or very little forward slip, this will result in lost accelaration, and use more battery, that is why we all run either spools or one ways in the front, to give 100% pull out of the corners.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM   #3104
Tech Elite

I've discovered that the spools don't turn in as sharp as a one-way. In fact, the battery drains faster due to the added drag especially when braking or slowing down.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:59 PM   #3105
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by spaz456
last time i ran my xray on carpet, i had the front diff medium tight with the rear, just like you said, i could hold the rr tires and spur and turn the lr tire.

my tc3 is the same way, both diffs are tight as hell! hehe
LOL.. good to hear. Wait til you tried the new carbite thrust bearings that's out.
Jimmy
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote