R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2003, 11:41 AM   #2956
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by redsand
guys, what springs/oil/piston combos do you run on ashphalt ?
I run the stock settings for the piston and oil. The springs are different though. I run a softer setting in front, with a stiffer setting in rear. Depends on your driving style and track conditions.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:38 PM   #2957
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey, Neil. I just noticed your name. I didn't realize who RCInfinity was. I'm the guy who was pitted next to you at the Citrus College race on Saturday. I was curious what setup you run at SoCal.
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:27 PM   #2958
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
Anybody out there in Xray land care to tell me their own reasons for choosing Xray?? I've had very little exposure to this car but I got very interested after meeting the Xray team and seeing the cars at the Snowbird Nats in Orlando. Also if you could relate your experience to other cars you've had. The xray always seems to be cutting edge but always functional. Not much done just to be pretty. Thats what I see so I'm wondering what you see. Thanks folks.
I'd really like your comments guy's...the more I look at and read about the Xray,the more I want one. Thanks to those who have already commented.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:50 PM   #2959
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Quoted By Evoracer I'd really like your comments guy's...the more I look at and read about the Xray,the more I want one. Thanks to those who have already commented.
Evoracer, I have driven just about every touring sedan that has been on the market and I have been racing for almost 10 years. The reason I switched to the XRAY can be attributed to the following:

Fit and Finish - There isn't a touring car on the market that goes together as flawless as this car. You know how with some cars the parts that come in the kit they fit well but when you have to replace broken parts the new parts fit and finish are really poor. Not so with the XRAY!! The same quality fit and finish you get when building the kit is the same for replacement parts.

Quality - This is by far the most durable car on the market. The drivers at the track I use to frequent were brutal. They would use you as a berm for every corner and the XRAY would not break. Now I'm not saying that it doesn't break, because it did have a couple of weak points. The first is the rear shock towers, this was due largely to all of the holes they placed on the EV02 shock tower. This was fixed by simply doubling up on the shock towers or you can simply buy the composite shock tower from the new car. The second week point was the graphite bumper brace, this to can be remedied by using the bumper brace from the new car.

Adjustability - This is by far the most adjustable car on the market. Many cars boast of being super adjustable, but what they can't claim is that the adjustments are easy to make. On the XRAY if you want to change caster settings, you simply reposition your caster clips (less than a second), if you want to change your roll center, remove two screws and move the supsension up or down (wow that took a hole 3 seconds). You want to adjust your rear toe, no more fooling around with different blocks, simply insert your allen tool and turn the pivot ball to the desired setting (shesh that took a hole second). I guess you kinda get the point. I can be really lazy when it comes to setting up a car, if the correct adjustment will take to long I wont make the adjustment. But with the XRAY the adjustments are so easy to make I'm constantly trying new things on my car. Some people warn others to stay from the XRAY because the car has to many adjustments and that it will be to overwhelming. This just simply is not the case. Most of the people I know that purchased the car ran the kit setup for a couple of months, it worked that good. You can make as many or as little adjustments as you are comfortable making and if you make to many adjustments you can always go back to the kit setup and guess what you'll be closed to being dialed!

The car is just flat out fast! I can honestly say that the car has made me faster, not necessarialy because it's superior to any other touring car out there, but because of the total package. Because the car is so easy to adjust, i'm no longer content driving an ill handling car for the night. Because the car is so balanced, it's really easy to go fast. I could go on and on about this car but I think this post would be entirely to long. If you decide to go with the XRAY I guarantee you that you will not disappointed.

Keith

Last edited by rcfiend; 03-25-2003 at 02:55 PM.
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:35 PM   #2960
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Now thats the kind of info i was looking for!! Thanks rcfiend. I had a number of people pm me about this and I am now officially sold!!!
I've got some stuff up for sale so I can help fund my jump to planet Xray!! Thanks guy's ...I'm really looking forward to it.Strangely enough...my user name will still be appropriate !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:07 PM   #2961
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

rcfiend- That was a great explaination. I have one more question to add to that.....everyone seems to be running the c-hubs on the car and I want to know what the really offer? Is it more total steering or more turn in? Doeas the pivot balls not have enough steering?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:45 PM   #2962
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

STLNLST

I think the PillowBall suspenion was first designed for Euro tracks that tend to open and fast.. and the C-hubs for high traction, fast, technical tracks like SpeedWorld.

Next time I go to Speedworld...look for me..(ramon) ask Billy..
I'll let you drive mine...

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #2963
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for the offer. I have two sitting right here but I have never had any track time with them since the Losi has been so killer. I'm assuming that you have the c-hubs on your car so what did they do for you steering wise? Did you push at Speedworld with the pivot ball?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #2964
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I am sorry for this childish post with no real content-but I drove my evo2 for the first time tonight, made some changes to it immediately and all I can say is I really, really like this car!!! I couldnt be happier!!! Just a few more changes and I am sure I'll be calling it dialed!!!

Now I just need to start ordering parts!!! I hope I dont hear "back-ordered" like on my old Serpent Vector and Impacts on every important part!!!

Question!!!
For those of you running on carpet/foam tires, when you ran 3 degree caster and 3 degree kick-up-did you notice the inside rear wheel lifting and the car stopping in the middle of the corner? I did maybe five laps with it set-up like that and pulled right off and took the kick-up out of it and it was totally different. Much smoother and carried more speed.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:10 PM   #2965
Tech Rookie

Is it me or does this car cost like $500.
fatovalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:12 PM   #2966
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
Thanks for the offer. I have two sitting right here but I have never had any track time with them since the Losi has been so killer. I'm assuming that you have the c-hubs on your car so what did they do for you steering wise? Did you push at Speedworld with the pivot ball?
Yes...I bought the car with Alum. C-hubs...never had the PB's to compare... did some testing at the school lot...with the stock set-up & front one-way the car was fast..cornered extremely well. the rear end would always follow.. way better than my TC3. that I just sold.
Haven't had a chance to get up to SWR...everytime I planned to get up there...it rained now it may be awhile..my power supply smoked...

Hope to make up to SWR very soon.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:13 PM   #2967
Tech Adept

I only paid 319 for mine. Not sure where you saw it for 500 bux
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:18 PM   #2968
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by fatovalguy
Is it me or does this car cost like $500.
You can get the 2003 version that comes with both PillowBall and Composit C-hubs on ebay right now! for about $330.00

Old 03-25-2003, 10:23 PM   #2969
Tech Rookie

is that new or used
fatovalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:19 AM   #2970
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Caddzilla Send a message via AIM to Caddzilla Send a message via Yahoo to Caddzilla

I have an original Xray T1 and I just got a set of the Evo 2 shocks with the fixed pistons and the ultra tune rear shock tower. Here is my question: Is there a spacer that goes between the shock tower and the back of the shock. I can't get the shocks to go in the top set of holes or even the middle set of holes on the shock tower. The cap on the shocks hit the face of the shock tower preventing me from using any of the holes except for the bottom row of holes on the tower. I also downloaded the instruction book for the Evo 2 off of mytsn and I don't see any listing for a spacer. Any help that you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Caddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote