R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2003, 05:42 PM   #2671
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by PorscheSuperCup
ive just built my shocks for the first time on the EVO 2 and they feel great, using the instructions in the manual. I did however, after reading here, purchase the GS bladders and used them instead of the ones in the kit.
hey all..
if you're unable to find the GS bladders...HPI bladders will also fit.
HPI comes in both med and firm bladders. the firm will let you have more rebound. GS bladders are on the firm side..and works great!

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:15 PM   #2672
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Thistle

I've been putting an old o-ring into the bladder before putting the cap/top on. This firmed them up nicely for me.
P.S. I've been using the aluminum bodies with the keyed pistons and only had one leak from a crash. (The cap stripped out.) IMO, there is nothing wrong with the serpeant/xray shocks if built correctly. One area to look for problems is the bottom o-ring cap. If this is not "locked" into position, it will leak. The hudy tool works like a charm.
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:31 AM   #2673
Tech Regular

theisgroup

Where I've been is having both TC3 and Xray's for the past 3 and 2 years respectively, and I've built and rebuilt shocks of many manufacturers (Xray, Associated, HPI, Kyosho, MRC, dozens of times. The TC3 shocks on my TC3's have never leaked through 3 years and 3 cars, racing every other weekend in the spring, summer and fall. They are not intended to be air free. I'm a wall banger and if anyone is going to stress test any part of a car, it's me. Unfortunately, this car is brand new and hasn't been stress tested so there is no reason for the leaks. It sounds to me as if you weren't building the TC3 shocks correctly since when built correctly, they are near built proof. It also looks like you haven't even run an Xray yet so I doubt your comments on the shocks are based on any experience. Of the 4 Xrays I've had, 2 of them experienced shock leaks. To me, they are a glaring weak point on an otherwise very well built car.

rpoage
Thanks for the tips and the page! I'll reread it and rebuild them again!
HauntedMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:22 AM   #2674
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by HauntedMyst
rpoage
Thanks for the tips and the page! I'll reread it and rebuild them again! [/B]
One point on rebuilding is that I have had poor luck (leaks) reusing the Serpent blatters. I fit a new one every time I open a shock. The GS Silicon blatters seem a little more forgiving..
rpoage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:01 AM   #2675
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by HauntedMyst
theisgroup

Where I've been is having both TC3 and Xray's for the past 3 and 2 years respectively, and I've built and rebuilt shocks of many manufacturers (Xray, Associated, HPI, Kyosho, MRC, dozens of times. The TC3 shocks on my TC3's have never leaked through 3 years and 3 cars, racing every other weekend in the spring, summer and fall. They are not intended to be air free. I'm a wall banger and if anyone is going to stress test any part of a car, it's me. Unfortunately, this car is brand new and hasn't been stress tested so there is no reason for the leaks. It sounds to me as if you weren't building the TC3 shocks correctly since when built correctly, they are near built proof. It also looks like you haven't even run an Xray yet so I doubt your comments on the shocks are based on any experience. Of the 4 Xrays I've had, 2 of them experienced shock leaks. To me, they are a glaring weak point on an otherwise very well built car.

rpoage
Thanks for the tips and the page! I'll reread it and rebuild them again!

you must be the only one that likes the tc3 shocks. if you check the tc3 thread, you will see that shocks, leakage, and building airfree are, recuring theams. The tc3 shocks are to be airfree. i am not sure where you get the idea they are not. if you leave air in them, after running your car, air will mix with the oil and then base on the amount of air, you will have diff viscosity in each shock. i don't believe that is they way you like running a car? Also yok make a shock cap for tc3 shock to bleed the air out of them.

And if have been around, you should notice that shocks on all cars have their problem. The idea is to find one with problems that don't hinder the car's performance. The idea of the bladder helps to give a little fudge factor so with leakage, you still do not have oil/air mixing to change viscosity.
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:48 PM   #2676
Tech Regular

I doubt I am the only one that likes AE shocks since the TC3 is one of, if not the most popular TC around. 4 out of 5 people at our track run TC3s and to my knowledge, no one is running into the types of problems listed in the forum. That isn't to say people don't have problems with them but it hasn't be prevalent either with my cars (either the TC3 or the T3) or at our track.

AE shocks are emulsion shocks, which means there will always be a small amount of air in the shock. My understanding is that the amount of air volume in an emulsion shock is equal to the volume of the shaft that penetrates the shock body and it needs at least that volume of air to function properly. Perhaps the problems people are having with their shocks is they are too concerned with getting all the air out. Even after 1 to 2 months of running, the shocks run perfectly and are usually rebuilt not because of performance issue but I think they should be cleaned and rebuilt. Bladder shocks like the Xrays are not intended to have air in them, the bladder compesates for the shaft movement. I am far from a shock theory expert, so perhaps someone with a real understanding will come along and post a correction. Any one?
HauntedMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #2677
Tech Elite

Maybe you should start another thread and ask that question.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:32 PM   #2678
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have a TC3 and I have never had any problems with my shocks. However I like the Losi shocks on my trucks better.
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:44 PM   #2679
Tech Regular

I have to agree with scrad I like the losi better but I have never built serpent or xray shocks.
TC racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:03 PM   #2680

Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

I had been racing my Xray evo 2, with foams, on carpet, and had been doing well. Today after a couple minor hits i picke dup alot more right steering then left in the car. EPA and DR are same for both sides on radio, but the problem continues. I checked droop, ride height, tire size, tire compound and camber and toe. Track width i have to check after replacing an arm.
Ne suggestions? chassis tweak somewhere?
Old 03-02-2003, 09:06 PM   #2681
Tech Regular

check the piviot balls and the upper a-arm
TC racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:13 PM   #2682

Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

thanx for the quick reponse
Old 03-02-2003, 10:53 PM   #2683
Tech Apprentice

how did the x-ray crew do in bakersfield ??
jayco76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 AM   #2684
Tech Elite

Hey Jason

Made the Expert Stock AAA, finished near the bottom though. TQ'd 19T, finished 2nd.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:15 AM   #2685
Tech Apprentice

congrats. (how was the turn out )
jayco76 is offline   Reply With Quote