R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-15-2002, 09:07 AM   #2071
Tech Apprentice

mike5009: Thanks!!! That's the kind of information I need. I didn't know that the diffs are sealed, thus reducing the number of rebuilds.

I read that the shocks are either externally adjustable or more recently non adjustable. Why go from the convenience of external adjustments to non external adjustments?
DEACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:26 AM   #2072
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess some people just like to get there hand slippy Team XRay simply try to please all type of racer.
Eddie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:28 AM   #2073
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm
Default Re: Returning to on-road R/C. Need a car???

Quote:
Originally posted by DEACON

- I've heard/read that the chassis is pre-built, is this true?
The bulkheads and upper deck are screwed together onto the bottom plate...but that is simply to make it look good whilst on display...you have to take it apart again to build the rest of the car.

It would be difficult to get the old T1 except for old stock. Xray are only kicking out the Evo 2. A simply upper deck change will make the car "stiff" again!

One thing I always do to my Xrays (I have had 3), is to run a double sandwiched rear shock tower. The original is kinda high and prone to breakage if you roll the car, especially the Evo 2 ones.

Besides that, the wide bumper is a good investment becasue it does a better job at protecting your front hubs.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:28 AM   #2074

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Sounds like a good idea with the 2 rear towers.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #2075
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

the chassis (i only have the evo 2, but i do have the stiff upper deck) does have some flex, considerably more than a tc3 or any other plastic tub car, but i havent been able to compaire to any other recent graphite dual deck cars besides a schui mission, which in stock evo 2 form has about the same amount of flex.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:53 PM   #2076
Tech Regular

Anybody have a good setup for 19T with foam tires on carpet?

Same....stock motor, rubber tire.....and carpet?

Same.....stock, 19T, mod motor......all rubber tire on prepared asphalt?

I have check the XRay site........but little if any help there.

Also......anybody having trouble with diffs? After thorough cleaning and rebuilding......if the diff is tightened enough to prevent slipping, the diff is almost locked up......and does not let the car turn under power. Suggestions?
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:34 PM   #2077
Tech Initiate

Here is the setup I used to take second in the a-main this weekend.
front
anti-dive: 3
caster: 2+1 (6 ish)
ride height: 4mm
shock location: 2
droop: 4
camber: -2.0
toe: 0
oil: 60
pistons: adj 2 open
springs: purple
preload: 3.1 mm
tires: trc foam plaid

rear
anti-squat: 3
ride height: 4mm
shock location: 2
droop: 4
camber: -1
toe: +2
oil: 50
pistons: adj 4 open
springs: purple
preload: 1.2mm
tires: trc foam purple

gearing:stock
motor: p2k2
track: black ozite, high speed flowing corners
pulley: full one way
body: trinity refrence stratus.
The car was planted and carried a ton of speed on the track. I would care say it could carry and handle better than every other kit on the track. My one issue is the tires cone after every run. I rotate the tires and re true them every run and it doesn't stop it.....If that is the price to pay to be that fast so be it...but I would rather not have to deal with that.
jesse370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:49 PM   #2078
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Foam tires are meant to cone, it is a sign that the car is running as it should, but you need to alter the camber to suit the track, so that your tires wear with just a hint of coning.
We have a track we run on that is very high speed and i usually run less camber as to maintain a full contact patch on the outside tire under load, while other tracks require more static camber to wear evenly.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #2079
Tech Regular

By the way, I am using the XRay T1.

One way with foams? WOW......my car turns in so hard now!!! But....corner speed is where it is at.

Has anybody really tried running on carpet WITHOUT the C-Hub conversion? That conversion is expensive. Thoughts on why the C-Hub is better or not????
Old 11-17-2002, 11:12 PM   #2080
Tech Champion

Again the C-hub is only a tuning option, i have an evo 2 and have put on the c-hub, personally on most outdoor tracks so far i prefer the c-hub as it is far more agressive and can carry more corner speed, although in saying that we ran an exhibition race at a major full scale car show last weekend, and after a full day of messing with setup, and a ugly car, that night i went home and put the standard front end back on, this made the car much smoother, and enabled me too bump myself up into the A-Main. So in this situation the std car was better.

It all comes down to how you drive and how you like your car to handle.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:04 AM   #2081
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Besercoe
Again the C-hub is only a tuning option, i have an evo 2 and have put on the c-hub, personally on most outdoor tracks so far i prefer the c-hub as it is far more agressive and can carry more corner speed
I agree, I have both suspension schemes and after long testing sessions I've found that the C-hub suspension works better for me on outdoor with medium traction, but for big and high speed sweeping turns, the pillowball works best.

Now, for me, the pillowball is the 'tunning option' rather than the C-hub. We race on outdoors all the year and on the winter, traction is a little low.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:54 PM   #2082
Tech Apprentice

Default duribilty

was just wondering how duriable is teh x-ray evo 2?
I'm thinking of getting one, but they look too damn nice to muck around in the parking lots with them. (get stratches/marks)
taybelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:31 PM   #2083
Tech Champion

the xray has to be the strongest car i have ever owned, the only thing i have really broken is the front upper plate from high speed impacts. and one rear ultra tune shock tower, only after i was punted off the track under some pipes.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #2084
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

XRay is an incredibly strong car! In over a year, I've only broken 2 steering blocks, had a rear shock tower crack (something about landing upside down after jumping the corner dots too many times...) and my first chassis started to split because I was stupid and didn't glue it.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:02 PM   #2085
Tech Regular

After 60+ battery packs......3 different tracks - asphalt - hi traction, carpet - hi traction, and asphalt - low traction.....no breakage.....of anything!