R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2002, 07:45 PM   #1816
Tech Regular

Just so that everybody is on the same page....concerning weight...here is what a few items actually weigh.

Batteries are assembled.
2000 - 12.5 oz
2200 - 12.8 oz
2400 - 13.3 oz
3000 pan blue wrapper - 12.6 oz
3000 HV - 13.2
GP3300 - 13.8

So, there is 1.3 oz difference from lightest to heaviest.

ESC - LRP SR with wires - 2.1 oz
Futaba 9402 servo - 1.9 oz
Futaba FM 3 channel (no crystal) - 0.6 oz
P2K motor - 5.7 oz
D4 - 6.4 oz
Reedy Ti - 6.2 oz
Orion Chrome - 6.2 oz

If you are running stock...LRP SR, 9402, Futaba FM receiver, and P2K - (and this is IF the p2k was offset to one side of the chassis to affect weight on that side of the chassis).... 2.1 + 1.9 + 0.6 + 5.7 = 10.3 oz.....and running 2000 cells...you need to add 2.2 oz of weight to balance the chassis.

Food for thought!
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:58 PM   #1817
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

i only know of one other person who runs and xray, but i havent seen him this season. the majority of cars are TC3's because eric derioses (sp) who is a factory driver for them, and he helps people out on their tc3's. right now we have around half a dozen guys for both mod and 19t. mod is extremely tight its basically the best drivers run in it. the order of guys changes each week, except for eric who is normally half a second or less quicker. 19t which the top stock drivers have moved to (we just started the class) all of the lap times are within half a second in the top half dozen as well.

as far as a mod carpet set up, i am currently running the c-hubs up front, and have had a few problems trying to run the car in mod.

you defently need to stiffen up the car big time. its extremely flexiable. i actually am going to try using the stock flexable deck and then have the orginal xray stiff deck ontop of it, although it still has some flex, although no track test yet in that configuration.

otherwise try to run the same spring rate front and rear, dual deck cars such as the xray and the mission (for example) tend to like that better. i am running white tc3 springs front and rear, 80 weight shock oil 2 holes in the front 1 in the rear for the pistons, and shock position you can mess with for your track, start out in the stock ones though.

i am trying the center one way for more steering, since you need all you can get in mod, and it doesnt make it twitchy.

i was talking to ralph burch about set up and he did not think there was a flex problem (i dont know if he didnt want ot admit it, or whatever) but he suggests against sway bars since it makes the car twichy, which is very understandble if the car was extremely stiff, but on carpet with high traction i found the car feels much more lazy then my tc3 even with the xray's stiffest sway bars. i figure though if i am able to stiffen up the chassis then i will run a soften suspenion, although i like a stiff car.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:10 PM   #1818
Tech Master

ya ive heard of eric desrosiers, he sounds like a nice guy. i guess i will need to pick up the stiff upper deck for carpet then. right now im running associated purple front and rear, with stock oil and pistons(#3 hole) but it seems like it could definatly use a thicker oil which i will change before the next outing. i also like a stiff car for carpet. Ive been running stock but is there many in stock down there, if not maybe ill just run mod. i tryed loosening the center oneway tonight but i was losse after loosening the pully like an 1/8 of a turn so i put it back to the seeting i like, so for stock right now i think i have it where i like it.
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:26 PM   #1819
Tech Regular

If you use sway bars on a flexible car, it will become very twitchy. One trying to straighten out the other.......
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:45 AM   #1820
Tech Master

i dont have sway bars for the car yet, so for now ill just work with the shocks
Old 10-03-2002, 05:01 AM   #1821
Tech Master

i havent found it made the car twitchy, although its rather difficult to drive, since the sway bars kick in, then the chassis flexes, it is only really a problem though at high speed, like right after the straight in mod. otherwise in stock its great to drive and handles like a dream, with a little bit of understeer.

right now the stock class doesnt have too many good guys in it because we all made the switch to 19t since stock felt a little slow due to the track being large. mod though is brutal on that track, since they are normally rather tight but very techinical layouts.

and ya, eric is a really nice guy, he has been helping me with some set up advice for the xray as well as with my tc3 (everyone borrows his tc3 set up, lol).
Old 10-03-2002, 07:47 AM   #1822
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Thanks guys for the info!

Thanks for the info guys!
I dont even wanna share my set-up because my car is that bad! LOL But now I know how far off I am. I have been shooting in the dark as far as setup and this re- affirms my belief that I need some track time outside of qualifiers to get my car dialed in. My main focus the past couple of weeks has been on the brushless motor I was trying in Mod class at the local club races. Well yes my car is flexy flyer. Kind makes me think about trying to find an older chassis to try with all the new evo2 parts.
Shawn
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 11:14 AM   #1823
Tech Master

maybe ill just get a 19 turn down there then and run that class
Old 10-04-2002, 12:30 PM   #1824
Tech Initiate

Last night I picked up the aluminum eccentric upper arm mounts. they really smoothed out the suspension and they look great too! Tomorrow is the first time the car will see carpet, or any type of racing surface. In the last week I picked up just about every part I think I'll need. Both upper arms, one lower front arm, both front steering blocks, one rear arm and the rear upright, and the energy abosrbing front bumper. Next is hinge pins and belts. I think I have a decent starting point for carpet BUT tomorrow I will know and I will also know how far I need to get the kit to get where I was last year with a very dialed and fast tc3. Next thing I need to get is a "fun run" body to match my real car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backwrx.jpg (38.0 KB, 132 views)
jesse370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 07:18 PM   #1825
Tech Initiate

I may get stuck and have to buy a set of trc 2.55x1.125 foams. I need to run this thing tomorrow. I tried an old set I have to finish setting the car up and they were real close to rubbing on the inside. Can I just use some sort of washer to space them out or cut a small section of the inside of the wheel??
jesse370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:57 PM   #1826
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mike5009

just shave a little with a dremel or hobby knife if you install a washer your changing your set track width.
mike5009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:20 AM   #1827
Tech Initiate

Stormperson,
I am the other guy (Dave) who use to run Xrays in taunton last season. It is good to hear that there will be another one this year!

Are you running the c-hubs on your car?
sizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 06:38 AM   #1828
Tech Master

oh, lol. i am mark, i ran a tc3 and a rev 3 last season. and i am running the c-hubs up front. last night i broke an arm though on them, even with the larger bumper up front. although the hit was due to the new track layout (i was the first guy to run a lap so it was like ice out there), but it still doesnt bode well since all of the guys who normally run mod (eric, scott, ed, matt) all are running tc3's but with the new rpm bumper they are breaking stuff like they did last year.

dave were you ever able to get rid of the flex on on your car? since i remember u ran it in mod. because right now i am .3's a lap slower then the tc3's, and i am almost 100% sure its due to that.

so if you get a chance dave, come down, the track layout was changed during the week, i am sure alot of guys are going to be practicing today, but it should level out the playing field pretty well. and right now i am the only guy running an xray in mod, lol. all of the good drivers in mod and stock have switched even from their losi's to the tc3.

anyway hope to see u guys at the track!
Old 10-05-2002, 02:15 PM   #1829
Tech Initiate

marc, I will be down next week. what is the schedule like these day's, are they still open wed and thurs nights? thanks.
sizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 08:45 PM   #1830
Tech Master

practice thursday and friday night 5-9, and i am not sure about sat. sunday is the same as before.