R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2002, 12:09 PM   #1666
Tech Initiate

hmm..looks like I will be buying a few things for this car as it is going to see about 95% carpet duty....does the chassis really flex to the point of needing the stiffer brace or is that a personal thing. Also when everyone is talking about the c-hub kits for this car does the evo2 out of the box not track and steer well on carpet to the point you would want to do something that radical to the car? Seems kinda counterproductive, why not just buy a xxx-s or pro3 if you want a c-hub belt kit?
Or will i just have to log alot of track time to get a good balanced setup that works very very good on carpet? I'll buy the brace but if I have to go to a c-hub setup I'll cancel my order and keep my tc3. Any input on this would help alot.

thanks
jesse370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:31 PM   #1667
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jesse370
hmm..looks like I will be buying a few things for this car as it is going to see about 95% carpet duty....does the chassis really flex to the point of needing the stiffer brace or is that a personal thing. Also when everyone is talking about the c-hub kits for this car does the evo2 out of the box not track and steer well on carpet to the point you would want to do something that radical to the car? Seems kinda counterproductive, why not just buy a xxx-s or pro3 if you want a c-hub belt kit?
Or will i just have to log alot of track time to get a good balanced setup that works very very good on carpet? I'll buy the brace but if I have to go to a c-hub setup I'll cancel my order and keep my tc3.
Jesse:

After three years of being completely loyal to my TC3 (well... not at all, some races at TCS was quite difficult to convince them of letting me race with the TC3 ). Two weeks ago I ordered an Evo2, assembly was a blast and Saturday was ready for the first laps at the track.

Mine first impressions resembled me to the TC3 and their terrific steering. After some little adjustments was completely planted to the track and doing good times for being the first packs with the car.

Performance of the Evo2 on carpet is out of doubt. Was the winner at the DHI cup. C-hub conversion seems to be in aid of very twisty tracks like some of our tracks. Seems that the largest tracks by far are on Europe.

What I've seen on the few packs that I did is a car with great potential. You can rely completely on this car. Quality is out of this world, only four pieces need some kind of hand fitting: the 4mm shims that adjust wheelbase and front upper A-arm.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 01:31 PM   #1668
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your opinions. That was what I was hoping for. I love my tc3 but I really want to give another kit a shot and see how I can do. I can't wait to build and race this kit. Most of the carpet tracks in the jersey area are in the mid to small size but have more flowing layouts. Our track had one xray last year....The car was slow but that was all the driver. I was talking to him and he said that the stock motor in his car had never been cut and that motor had seen over a season of racing. But some heats that car was on freaking rails and I couldn't catch it, other heats it was so far off. But I think that had all to do with the driver and setup that poor car had and nothing else.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:42 PM   #1669
Tech Elite

Post Alternative rear roll center

Playing with the setups of my new Evo2 I noticed on the setup manual states that using the upper holes on the rear A-arm you can achiveve to have 0 degree kickup with other rolling center (using the upper ones).

Just a question: anyone has used? where, why, on which way modifies rear end? on the setup don't states anything about those 'alternative 0 kickup'.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:44 PM   #1670
Tech Initiate

Just finished building the kit tonight....Great quality!! anyone have a good baseline for springs and oil on carpet with foams?? I ran a tc3 last winter and did really well with a heavy type spring and oil. But I don't want to guess at springs and an oil combo for this kit. Thanks
Old 09-14-2002, 01:52 AM   #1671
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Ralph's shock oil and spring combination was Asso. purple spring and 30 weight oil up front.......XRAY yellow and 20 weight oil in the rear. That was his setup for the Snowbirds with the original kit.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:31 AM   #1672

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

I would still go heavy on the spring and the oil. the car will roll alot otherwise and scrub corner speed. PLus when u head up to a big race their is alot of traction. I have seen people be hooked in practice on the first day and say o ya im hooked im ready to race. Fri night comes for first qual and they are traction rolling because they are too soft and there is more traction then when they started.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:04 AM   #1673
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

i am running my evo 2 (with C hub conversion):

40lb (tc3 springs) in the front with 70 weight oil, and the smallest setting on the shocks, and in the rear 35lb tc3 spring with same oil, but second smallest setting. not to mention front anti roll bar with about a 45 degree angle and the rear 1mm bar.

i also like my car stiff, since i can adjust my line easier in a corner, and it just feels better to me, as well as generally being faster, espically on carpet.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:06 PM   #1674

Amen storm.
I alos like to run stiff. Y does everyone i talk to run different manufacturers springs on different cars. Just run TC3 springs on a TC3, xray on an xray, losi on a losi,mission on a mission(that one sounds good lol) it just doesnt make ne sense.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:54 PM   #1675
Tech Initiate

I plan on only running the pillowball suspension on my evo2. I would think that wouldn't effect suspension so I will go with 70wt oil and order some stiff springs...I loved running I think 70 all around in my tc3 with purple springs all around. The car was hooked up for sure...I tried softer in the back but I just liked the way the car felt with equal settings. I can't describe it other than a feel.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:29 PM   #1676

Yes I have tried it but i can't run it that way. I run white/purple 80/70 wts oil. I like to run the foam car stiff. car was very solid and fast.TC3 that was
Old 09-14-2002, 07:51 PM   #1677
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

the reason why i ran them is because 1)i couldnt find xray springs yet, sincei got my car a few weeks ago, and no one had springs in stock 2)the stiffest springs look really fruity to me, lol, and didnt go with my paint job, lol.

also i have alot and i mean alot of tc3 parts, so i had springs laying around, and they fit perfectly (almost the exact same demesions). and actually they are a few lb's stiffer than the xray springs, lol, but otherwise i would of used xray springs, my decesion was not a question of which works better.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:25 AM   #1678
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Right now on my Mod Foam T1, I'm running white (XRay) springs all around, 2mm rear bar, front bar vertical (stiffest), 40wt oil front and rear, and I think 2 holes open in front shocks, 3 open in rear. Tomorrow I'm going to the track for some testing, so this setup might be different...
JeffC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:00 AM   #1679

Cool, I will be getting the alu shock bodies and the adjustable front bar with the spring kits.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:00 PM   #1680
Tech Initiate

Ok i finished building it and put the electrics in the car. I was really really impressed with the acceleration of the kit. I don't think I'll be missing my tc3 one bit. But I have a question the front belt is real loose. I have the front eccentric hubs on the notch that would be at 9 oclock. And by the instructions that is as tight as it goes. And I didn't notice a bit of difference at all in the tension of the belt. Its so bad I can roll the front belt off the diff pulley if you coax it a little. Is this something I should worry about? My last belt touring car was a hpi mini that had a belt tensioner. And input would help, the belt does seem to tighten some on power so I guess I'll see what happens at the track?? But so far I think this kit is really free, and is more free than my associated that is being replaced by this kit.