R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Suggestions for R/C???

Hey guys, I've never had an R/C before, but recently I started thinking how awesome it would be to own a supercar... only R/C! Haha

So, I saw the Tamiya TT01 Nissan GT-R, and I thought that was pretty awesome. But since I don't know much about R/C cars, I don't really know which one is best for me. I've seen different chassis codes before (TT01 being one of them, others such as TA05 etc), but I have no idea what they mean. I don't know which one is the best for me. I want something with good speed, and a good body... was thinking if RX-7 or Ferrari FXX. However, there were so many different chassis codes that I think I should do a bit of research before buying one, so here I am!

So what is your suggestion? My budget is around $300 AUD, which is around $270 USD.
minijumbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For your budget and needs, those cars will all do the job. Going only from your one post ill assume racing is not on the table and you will be just bashing around the streets?

Tamiya and HPI make the bodies your after and they will fit any touring car chassis on the market. I am not a tamiya fan especially of the lower end tamiya cars but that does not mean they wont be fun...

You can make a TT01 go 60mph just as easy as you can make an xray t3 do 60mph... its all in the electronic package(motor/esc/battery) and gearing. and for bashing you may want to save a few bucks getting a cheaper chassis so you can afford a brushless system and lipo battery.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

What do you mean by cheaper chassis and brushless system/lipo battery? You mean like, a brushless motor and lithium battery? I have no idea what these mean or what their advantages are ><

And is TT01 a good chassis? I've seen so many chassis codes like TA05 or FF something...
minijumbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The TT01 and TA05 are budget minded cars.. sport versions if you will, its not till you get into the tamiya 416line of chassis that your getting into pro level cars...

honda civic vs Acura nsx type of thing..

But unlike real cars RC cars can be differnt chassis but share identical powerplants.

So if your just goofing around and have a tigh budget get a cheaper sport/entry level chassis like the TT01 or TA05 and spend the larger amoutn of money on a brushless system and lipo battery...

Again it really depends on what u plan to do with the car.. Personally i buy pro versions or i dont bother, if i cant race it on a track i wont own one, but if i did want to just smash around ont he streets i likely would just get a entry level car i would hate to scrape a 500$ xray around on ruff pavement and sand...