Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any one know where to get shims? I've tried google, but I get thrown all over the place.

I need shims to tighten up the front and rear a-arm slop. Seems like they would be a common size, but I don't know what to search for. I would think Associated would have something available at least, but when I ask for them at my LHS's, the guys tilt their heads like a confused dog and wonder why I would need something like that.

Shims. All I need are some friggin' SHIMS! Such a simple little thing.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

AE #4187 << these are .030 thick

Losi #A2127 << these are .060 thick
Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you so much. I'll find some right away.

My VTA car was unstoppable last night. Aluminum CVDs seemed to help with my rolling resistance/power problem. Might just be in my head, but I was finally the one pulling the other guys around the sweeper and into the straight. Lapped the field.

My 17.5 car... well that's another story. Funny how the same chassis with different tires can be so wildly different. I couldn't stop traction rolling. Going to take some practice and set up time to figure that out.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Update;

Have two races on this setup, works GREAT.

Odd Losi bit! the 86 and 88 spurs have 23 tooth belt gear, the 90 tooth has 20 tooth belt gear, the xxx4 is a 20 tooth belt gear. Have not checked 64 pitch. Wonder why Losi did this!!! Sure screws up a FDR!!!

Josh's belt fit OK with a 90, had to do the adjustment to the chassis slot with a 86/88.

Originally Posted by tmail55
Tested in front of house, worked great, was planning to race test today RAIN!!!!! <<<

====

Sanding disk p180
B4 slipper pad
B4 spur 84t

Wanted a spur option other than what Losi has to offer. Did NOT have the spur adapter.

Having done the file card spooler to the front diff, got to thinking!! Don't remember who on here shared the "file card" spooler tip, THANKS!!!

Looked thru the parts box and came out with a XXX4 spur gear mount. A bit of Uni-Biting a AE B4 84t spur (top gear in picture) to adjust the center hole of the spur to fit the XXX4 mount.

Using the AE B4 slipper pad to make "spooler pads" out of the P180 grit sanding disk. The sanding disk is sticky on one side to keep it on a sander pad. The sticky side will be used to hold these to the slipper disk, sand side to the spur.

Stick the slipper pad to sanding disk and cut around disk, mark the center hole (used a pen) and cut that out, do two.

The B4 spur (bottom spur in picture) has a flange to hold the slipper in place, carefully removed these with a X-Acto knife.

===

Any spur should work IF the body is smooth, the gear for a TC4 didn't work!!! Tried that first.

Last edited by tmail55; 03-17-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmail55
Update;

Have two races on this setup, works GREAT.

Odd Losi bit! the 86 and 88 spurs have 23 tooth belt gear, the 90 tooth has 20 tooth belt gear, the xxx4 is a 20 tooth belt gear. Have not checked 64 pitch. Wonder why Losi did this!!! Sure screws up a FDR!!!

Josh's belt fit OK with a 90, had to do the adjustment to the chassis slot with a 68/88.
Thanks for posting this. I've definitely gotten questions about it. Losi did some weird things. Wait... they still do weird things.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jhwnissan
Thanks for posting this. I've definitely gotten questions about it. Losi did some weird things. Wait... they still do weird things.
Did a bit of 64 pitch checking the 128 and 118 have the 23 belt gearing.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was about to can my XXX-S 17.5 experiment. For a while there I didn't think the chassis had what it took to compete with modern cars. Seemed like the newer cars with the electronics all tucked into the center mass of the chassis just weren't working as hard as the wide Losi chassis.

Turns out it was my driving style.

Last night I figured out my braking points, and was a little less aggressive coming out of the corners. I lapped the second place driver in the main. Fast lap of 8.63, with an average lap time of 8.93 over 41 laps. Very happy, and will continue to run the car.

Tire wear is still a bit of a problem. However, that still could be from driving very aggressive.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Cool

I have a less aggressive driving style (some say slow) and I haven't noticed any abnormal tire wear on either of my triple X cars.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Helps to reassure my thoughts on why I'm burning them up faster than I'd like.

Our carpet is very abrasive though. Not ozite. Grip is at traction roll danger levels in the groove, and loose outside of it. My chassis is covered in rubber dust after three or four runs. It cakes up on the chassis behind the front tires.

One thing that also helped me last night was to not sauce my front tires. Gave me some much needed push.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

I also use a separate set of tires for practice. Usually an older set, then switch to a newer set for the race.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by loosewheel
I also use a separate set of tires for practice. Usually an older set, then switch to a newer set for the race.
What type of racing are you doing? Carpet, asphalt, rubber tires or foam? Brushed, or brushless?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Carpet in the winter, asphalt in the summer all on rubber. We've been brushless for a long time.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody have a good idea for body posts, especially for the rear?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wheres the adaptors
Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry guys I haven't posted more in here, adapters are coming but as these things happen sometimes, got busy and I also broke the 1 remaining mill of the size I need to do these, I have some mills coming now so will get onto these as soon as possible.
I apologise for the delay everyone.

Also working on replicating the blocks nf_ekt sent me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.