Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 ROAR Electric OnRoad Carpet Nationals @ The Track - Gaithersburg, MD

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've been deeply involved in this hobby for quite a while now. I've attended many big races, regional races and club races. I've travelled more weekends than I can count for all types and levels of races. I've been through the ringer when it comes to local racing and worked my butt off for years to build up the local races and help anyone and everyone I can that have a commitment to the tough learning curve that is r/c racing.

I'm certainly no Blackstock or Lemieux or Cuffs or Burch when it comes to driving, but it's with the above credentials that I would like to share the most important piece of knowledge I learned over the years...

Negative input will never benefit the hobby and racing in general. Yes it may bring issues that need sorting out to light, but there are much better ways to communicate a point. (this is not directed to any one certain person or persons)

Here's a very simple example that may help understand my point:
Jason- "Jeff, the way you start the races at Horsham sux and it f's everybody up trying to make a clean run!!!" (I have no clue how Jeff starts the races in reality, it's just a fictional example)
Jeff- "Well Jason, if you don't like it, why don't you and your ahole buddies from Memphis go home!!"
Jason- "I guess we will. And we won't be back"
**in the meantime other locals who agree decide they aren't coming back either
*Did my negative input bring to light an issue that needs correcting? Yes. Was it beneficial to ROAR, Horsham, Jeff or even the newbie sitting at his pit thinking he didn't sign up for crap like this? NO. In no way was it beneficial to anyone.

Here's a better way to handle the situation:
Jason- (quietly and in a friendly manner) "Hey Jeff, some of the guys and myself were wondering if you would mind spacing us out a little more at the start of the heats because there seems to be a broad range of skill level in our heat and it would help us keep from getting tangled up on the first laps?"
Jeff- "I hadn't really thought about that Jason, hold on a sec... (over the loudspeaker) RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE SPACED OUT A LITTLE MORE ON THE STARTS... wow, I guess you were right Jason, thanks for bringing that to my attention"
Jason- "Glad to be of help Jeff. We really enjoy racing with you guys"
**in the meantime the guys who raised their hands are thinking "I sure am glad that dude from Memphis knows Jeff well enough to say something to him, I was really getting irritated"
*the newbie is sitting at his pit thinking "yep, these are the kind of guys I enjoy racing with"

My point- not only did I bring the issue to the race director's attention, I did it in a way that was helpful to him, to the track, the other racers, and the racing in general.

Sometimes, it's not that simple, but with some forethought and a desire to be a problem solver and not a problem maker, it can be done. And if anyone has room to talk, it's me. Everyone that knows me will tell you I used to be the first one to jump up in someone's face and bitch. But I've realized there's a better way, and it may take more planning and thinking, but if I apply myself I can make a difference.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
The folks at ROAR are in a bad situation. They have to listen to a thousand screaming voices all at once. They see something they might have an answer to and when they do something, another thousand screaming voices come out of no where.
Im sorry thats whats they signed up for. They knew what they were getting into.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Big Dog,

WEll put. This is what i was trying to get at. I guess it is wiser as the years go by. But when i started there were no chat rooms to bash the events. Everything was word of mouth .

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
I've been deeply involved in this hobby for quite a while now. I've attended many big races, regional races and club races. I've travelled more weekends than I can count for all types and levels of races. I've been through the ringer when it comes to local racing and worked my butt off for years to build up the local races and help anyone and everyone I can that have a commitment to the tough learning curve that is r/c racing.

I'm certainly no Blackstock or Lemieux or Cuffs or Burch when it comes to driving, but it's with the above credentials that I would like to share the most important piece of knowledge I learned over the years...

Negative input will never benefit the hobby and racing in general. Yes it may bring issues that need sorting out to light, but there are much better ways to communicate a point. (this is not directed to any one certain person or persons)

Here's a very simple example that may help understand my point:
Jason- "Jeff, the way you start the races at Horsham sux and it f's everybody up trying to make a clean run!!!" (I have no clue how Jeff starts the races in reality, it's just a fictional example)
Jeff- "Well Jason, if you don't like it, why don't you and your ahole buddies from Memphis go home!!"
Jason- "I guess we will. And we won't be back"
**in the meantime other locals who agree decide they aren't coming back either
*Did my negative input bring to light an issue that needs correcting? Yes. Was it beneficial to ROAR, Horsham, Jeff or even the newbie sitting at his pit thinking he didn't sign up for crap like this? NO. In no way was it beneficial to anyone.

Here's a better way to handle the situation:
Jason- (quietly and in a friendly manner) "Hey Jeff, some of the guys and myself were wondering if you would mind spacing us out a little more at the start of the heats because there seems to be a broad range of skill level in our heat and it would help us keep from getting tangled up on the first laps?"
Jeff- "I hadn't really thought about that Jason, hold on a sec... (over the loudspeaker) RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE SPACED OUT A LITTLE MORE ON THE STARTS... wow, I guess you were right Jason, thanks for bringing that to my attention"
Jason- "Glad to be of help Jeff. We really enjoy racing with you guys"
**in the meantime the guys who raised their hands are thinking "I sure am glad that dude from Memphis knows Jeff well enough to say something to him, I was really getting irritated"
*the newbie is sitting at his pit thinking "yep, these are the kind of guys I enjoy racing with"

My point- not only did I bring the issue to the race director's attention, I did it in a way that was helpful to him, to the track, the other racers, and the racing in general.

Sometimes, it's not that simple, but with some forethought and a desire to be a problem solver and not a problem maker, it can be done. And if anyone has room to talk, it's me. Everyone that knows me will tell you I used to be the first one to jump up in someone's face and bitch. But I've realized there's a better way, and it may take more planning and thinking, but if I apply myself I can make a difference.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock
Larry .. Fair enough in what you have said here. I agree with some of it and some of it i do not. Maybe the right place for these concerns would be on the ROAR Forum. That way this race kept out of it.

Mike
Mike, where is this ROAR Forum you speak of? I have been asking ROAR about a forum for 3-4 years now.....
Old 03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Mike, where is this ROAR Forum you speak of? I have been asking ROAR about a forum for 3-4 years now.....
We have just upgraded the ROAR site. Our next step will be opening the General Membership forum. I am one of the newest ExCom members.

A bit about me - I have been racing since 1985, or so. For the last 12 years I have been deeply involved in 1/8th On-Road Fuel. I'm also intrigued by 1/10th On-Road Electric.

Here's the deal, gang. I have joined the ExCom to help our sport. I am very accessible. I will not argue on the Forums. I will, absolutely, listen to any and all ideas you have. Here's the kicker - I will be happy to communicate via eMail until the ROAR Forum is up. When you eMail me - I want your adult name and ROAR ID number. If those items are not included - I may not respond.

My eMail is open for any suggestion you have to improve ROAR. I expect thoughtful and provocative comments. Don't bother with BS - I'm to old for that crap.

Okay, I was over the top on my comment - There are times that posts get very aggressive on this forum...I didn't need to be that pointed - apologies.

If you really want to make a difference, contact me, as I have requested above. I do care about this Hobby/Sport

Yes, my eMail: [email protected] This eMail addy is protected by a spam filter. You will need to respond to the access request by "Spam Arrest"

Last edited by Rich Browne; 03-17-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: sometimes, you just have to admit your wrong
Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
We have just upgraded the ROAR site. Our next step will be opening the General Membership forum. I am one of the newest ExCom members.

A bit about me - I have been racing since 1985, or so. For the last 12 years I have been deeply involved in 1/8th On-Road Fuel. I'm also intrigued by 1/10th On-Road Electric.

Here's the deal, gang. I have joined the ExCom to help our sport. I am very accessible. I will not argue on the Forums. I will, absolutely, listen to any and all ideas you have. Here's the kicker - I will be happy to communicate via eMail until the ROAR Forum is up. When you eMail me - I want your adult name and ROAR ID number. If those items are not included - I may not respond.

My eMail is open for any suggestion you have to improve ROAR. I expect thoughtful and provocative comments. Don't bother with BS - I'm to old for that crap.

Finally:

If you just want to bitch — well, feel free to post here on RC Tech and look like the other 95% of the illiterate posts that are written here.

il·lit·er·ate   [ih-lit-er-it] Show IPA
–adjective
1. unable to read and write: an illiterate group.
2. having or demonstrating very little or no education.
3. showing lack of culture, esp. in language and literature.
4. displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field

If you really want to make a difference, contact me as an adult, as I have requested above. I do care about this Hobby/Sport

Yes, my eMail: [email protected] This eMail addy is protected by a spam filter. You will need to respond to the access request by "Spam Arrest"
Roar member 3-108172 this is gonna hit another 4 pages
Old 03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Finally:

If you just want to bitch — well, feel free to post here on RC Tech and look like the other 95% of the illiterate posts that are written here.

il·lit·er·ate   [ih-lit-er-it] Show IPA
–adjective
1. unable to read and write: an illiterate group.
2. having or demonstrating very little or no education.
3. showing lack of culture, esp. in language and literature.
4. displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field

If you really want to make a difference, contact me as an adult, as I have requested above. I do care about this Hobby/Sport

So when will it ready for ROAR members is the next question...
Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

So when will it ready for ROAR members is the next question...
Like I said, if you want me - eMail me as I requested.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There's more going on here than what you realize. It's not ROAR's "stupid" sportsman rules, or entry fees for a race that normally costs hundreds to thousands to attend anyway.

#1 A lot of people have NO MONEY for this stuff. How many people are laid off or have not worked steady in the last year or two? So maybe they can get to the local track or do a local 2 day race, but you have to commit at least 3-4 days to this. It's not very easy right now.

#2 Honestly, the speed control thing has run off the "hobbyist" types. It's complicated and changing all the time, and I think a lot of guys are either doing something else or sitting it out until things shake out. All the sudden, the little mini cars with 540 brush motors have come out of the wood work around my area...coincidence?

#3 Offroad. In 6 months the local carpet track has gone from maybe 20 entries for their carpet off road night to almost 70. What does that tell you? They're staying away from on road in droves.

The other big races either have another attraction (IIC, Snowbirds) or they have tried to attract entries with new classes (Novak, Cleveland). We have the convergence of multiple forces on this type of racing, none of it very good. I wish I had an answer for ROAR, but they have been trying to help get people back out there. I just do not know if anything could help this situation.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Like I said, if you want me - eMail me as I requested.
ROAR has used RCTech has it main means of "official announcments", why not simple post it in here like everything else ROAR has done up to now?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

MIKE agree with you totally but look at the difference between the other big races iic,birds,champs they all have a ballroom to pay for so why is the entry fee so high..

i understand that roar has operating cost but thats what the 30 or 40 dollars a year for membership is for.

maybe all the powers to be a roar should look at entries for the next couple of on road electric nationals and maybe think about a reduction in fees
Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

ROAR has used RCTech has it main means of "official announcments", why not simple post it in here like everything else ROAR has done up to now?

My last response to you, Nova F1 Racer, the operative words used here "has used". I already stated I am not playing word games on this forum thread.

Moving forward the communications will be as I have request of you and the other RC Tech posters - if you want nothing to happen - continue as you all have. If you want to help make a difference, well, you understand my request.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

My last response to you, Nova F1 Racer, the operative words used here "has used". I already stated I am not playing word games on this forum thread.

Moving forward the communications will be as I have request of you and the other RC Tech posters - if you want nothing to happen - continue as you all have. If you want to help make a difference, well, you understand my request.
And people wonder why there is such a low turn-out when ROAR has its elections... And a lot of racers "used too" belong to ROAR, a lot of racers "used too" attend ROAR regional and national races. How about addressing that instead the "send email" and if you understand it you'll reponse back. Is this in the ROAR rulebook because I would like to read it and following the correct rules for emailing a ROAR official....
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

And I am done discussing ROAR in RCtech as well...
Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Rich What a way to introduce yourself.

Come on here and basically saying anyone with an opinion is illiterate. Education and grammar shouldn't matter if the point people are trying to get across makes sense.

Well guess what there smart guy. You are talking to Roar members here.

Why should it matter if we post our opinion on this thread or on an "official" roar forum? As far as I know this is by far the largest on road forum in the world if you want to get involved in the community get used to being here and dealing with "illiterate" people.

We are the people that join roar and support them when they do things we approve of. OBVIOUSLY less than 200 entries total between the last 2 Onroad nats should tell even the illiterate that something is severely wrong with how roar is dealing with the on road issues.

And yes Rob is right people are laid off and poor right now but somehow the snowbirds and IIC managed 300 entries this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.