Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bearing grease

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Bearing grease

What grease do u guys use in your bearings? I've heard of using White lightning grease that used for bicycle chains. Im afraid that if i put oil in it the durability will suffer.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

NEVER USE A WAX BASED GREASE, use a thin lube, if you want something LIKE grease use thinker lube.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use trinity royal oil... it's a real thin oil but not thin enough if you ask me.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

I like using a lube with teflon. Everything is better with teflon.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

I just blast my bearings out with Nutrol ( electric contact cleaner with lubricating oils). It's basically like motor spray, so it cleans all the dirt out, and then I just leave them, they run free without any extra oil. I'm also a believer in the "remove one seal from every bearing" trick.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Or just remove all the seals. Little more maintnence but less drag.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AzNDRAGster
Or just remove all the seals. Little more maintnence but less drag.
I tried that on a barra.. One of the bearings failed completly.. due to dirt i belive. was fast as all f&*k before that tho....

I normally use synthetic motor oil (light weight) as a thin oil will simply spray out of your bearings quickly. apply some oil and rotate a few times... then ly them down overnight and let any excess oil run out. Your bearings will be awesome for at least two meets then its up to you as to when you can be bothered to do it all again.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

for perfect bearings every time do the following;

purchase the following items:

-a ultrasonic cleaner (make sure it is ultra, not just sonic) they are about $99 australian from jaycar, two frequencies.
-mobil1 synth oil
-shellite

PROCESS;

1-take one sheild of
2-place all bearings sheild side of downwards in the ultrasonic cleaner filled with shellite
3-repeat step 2 if still a little crunchy with new shellite if it is really dirty
4-place a little mobil1 oil in the ultrasonic C until bearings covered. turn cleaner on. leave overnight
5-put bearing on toweling until excess oil gone.
6-build
=SMOOOOOTH

i have a set of nitride bearings for my mtx3. withstands temps better
Old 02-20-2004, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Bearing Lube

You can also try Remington Drilube.A teflon based,hi temp,dry lube for guns.Works great,especially for offroad.Haven't had a bearing failure in years.Doesn't attract dirt like the liquid lubes.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Lighter fluid.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

i saw Axiom's Website they have one coming out... looks liek something to wait and try
Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

You forgot to mention what kind of bearings (brand) you are using. You need different maintenance for metal sheilded bearing verses teflon sealed bearings. Bearing such as Acer Ceramic with the red seals require very little if any maintenance.
You should never use grease in your bearings unless you have cheap bearings and only plan to knock around the yard with the car and are worried that the bearings will rust.
Bearings with grease in them will not be more durable than the same bearing that is lightly oiled. Greased bearings will have more friction and cause more rolling resistance. Grease will also attract more dirt than a lightly oiled bearing.
I recommend to clean all bearings very well even if they are brand new!
It is usually not necessary to remove the seals of the bearing to clean them out. You will need to use a little more motor spay however if you don't.
Once the factory lube or dirt is blown out of them, let the bearings dry completely and make sure they roll smoothly. Lube them with a thin bearing oil (no need to use a lot). There is really no need to run all over town to this bike store and that to find the best bearing lube. Go to your local hobby store and buy trinity royal oil, or what ever oil they have the is specifically for bearings. I just started using the Acer Bearing oil and I feel it's the best.
A lot of perople recommend that you remove the seals of the bering for less friction. I don't recommend this unless you are at very competitive race and you need every advantage you can get. This only adds to the maintenance and how often you will need to replace them.
Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Metal shielded bearings. I have this oil with what i was told 5% teflon in it so i suppose thatll work.

Thanks for all the replys, i appreciate the help!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:55 AM

guys go to a skate shop and buy skateboard bearing lubricant !
best stuff you will ever buy
Old 02-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Rookie

megamule.com have some "special" bearing oil for sale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.