Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I wanna get back into racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default I wanna get back into racing

so i quit racing about 3 years ago when I really got into flying and I suddenly have the itch to get back into it, the car that I mainly raced was the original losi jrx-s, I still have the car but it is very hard to get parts for so I want something new. I will be racing on an asphalt parking lot (rubber tire) I am trying to decide between two cars a FT TC5 and the Jrx-s type-R, however I am leaning more toward the type-R due to the fact that I know for a fact that the shop has GREAT parts support for this car.

Setup I had in mind

Car - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cing-Sedan-Kit

Motor/ESC - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...otor-Combo-65R

Steering Servo - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Digital-Servo

Radio/Receiver - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...iver-No-Servos

Battery - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...0C-74V-4200mAh

What do you guys think? also what size pinion would you reccomend with that setup?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

If you are looking to run on outdoor asphalt tracks, I would look into a different car. What class are you planning to run? You picked a good battery pack but depending on what you are looking to do, many of the other components may leave a bit to be desired.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Your also going to need a Flying Fox layshaft or a PRS spur gear adapter. Either one of those it pretty much a must buy. I had a JRXS and it never saw the track. I also was getting tired of having to purchase parts just to make things work. Getting some of the larger battery packs to fit in the JRXS's chassis can also be a pain. I think the design is great, but I think it needs some more finesse to make it more user and component friendly. Also having folks at the track who run the same car can be invaluable resource. The JRXS is a capable car, but just be sure that all of the parts you buy will fit, or it can be a big head ache. Not many folks in Northern California run the Losi. I ended up trading it for TC5R.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As for parts for your old car: http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...h-S/Categories

I owned 2 Type R's and sold them because the track closed by me. You can find used ones here.

As for speedo's, I would go with Tekin: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXULV8. I found that all the others you have to buy a new one when they update it. With Tekin you get the updates free.

As for radios: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...d-Racing-Radio You can find them here used cheaper. Best radio I've ever owned. Light weigth.

Servos, I like JR but that is just me.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
If you are looking to run on outdoor asphalt tracks, I would look into a different car. What class are you planning to run? You picked a good battery pack but depending on what you are looking to do, many of the other components may leave a bit to be desired.
What's wrong with the Losi Type R?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If the shop has parts for it, run the Losi. It's a great car when dialed and driven properly.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dfiantii
What's wrong with the Losi Type R?
They are difficult to dial in on asphalt. In addition to this, not many people run them so you may struggle without any assistance at your tracks.

We have a racer down here with a Type R who is extremely frustrated with his car and has all but given up. Another racer who used to race on carpet moved out here, raced his TypeR a few times and got rid of his as well. I don't know whether many of these issues are car or driver related, I just know that these particular individuals weren't happy with their cars.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They are difficult to dial in on asphalt. In addition to this, not many people run them so you may struggle without any assistance at your tracks.

We have a racer down here with a Type R who is extremely frustrated with his car and has all but given up. Another racer who used to race on carpet moved out here, raced his TypeR a few times and got rid of his as well. I don't know whether many of these issues are car or driver related, I just know that these particular individuals weren't happy with their cars.
I ran my car on carpet and asphalt and never had a problem. I used Mike Haynes's setup and had no peoblems except for driver error. If my track didn't close I would still own both of them. Those drivers should look up Mike's setup, use them and refine them to their driving style.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, there are always the exceptions. I don't see how you could go from a carpet to asphalt setup and be equally fast.

One of the guys here may have tried Mike Haynes' setup for all I know. He has been running this car for sometime. What I do know is that his car is not as fast on the track as it should be and again, he has no local support as very few people who race on asphalt use this car.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

ok guys thanks for the info...what about the tc5r? it looks super nice and I have been looking at it as well
Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

The TC5R would be a great choice.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Initiate

The TC5R would be a great choice.
ok thanks I really like the layout of the tc5r WAY more than the jrx-s, I just remember how much of a PITA it was to remove and install the battery in my jrx-s...do you think that motor is a good choice?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M.Huerta
ok thanks I really like the layout of the tc5r WAY more than the jrx-s, I just remember how much of a PITA it was to remove and install the battery in my jrx-s...do you think that motor is a good choice?
Go with a Tekin RS setup for ESC and either the Tekin or the Trinity Duo motor. You won't be sorry.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

The TC5 is a good car with good parts availability. The chassis is a bit
older than some of the others but it remains a capable car. What class do you intend to run? Do you intend to run mod, or stock classes?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

I personally run the KO BMC ESC in my 009. I feel that the Tekin RS is a terrific value and a solid performer. I actually own a Tekin RS as well and it is a good ESC. The LRP SPX is also a good ESC that you may want to
consider. What is great about the Tekin RS are its small footprint, affordable price, solid performance and upgradability The downside is that to really unlock this performance, you need their Hotwire system and a computer. Unlike the Tekin, the LRP is programmable without any additional software or hardware and has varying profiles to suit most any condition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.