R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   For all battery freaks out there! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/33901-all-battery-freaks-out-there.html)

lee82gx 02-19-2004 05:26 AM

For all battery freaks out there!

Great job that pro-trak has done.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/pro-trak/tests.htm

Nova F1 Racer 02-19-2004 05:41 AM

Re: For all battery freaks out there!

Originally posted by lee82gx
Great job that pro-trak has done.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/pro-trak/tests.htm

Dam impressive!!!!!:nod: :tire: :nod:

SOuthernFRIED 02-19-2004 05:57 AM

That is way cool.SHows some info I have wondered about for a while now.

lee82gx 02-19-2004 07:04 AM

yep.certainly clears some of the vagueness regarding batteries.

does anyone understand the graphs for the battery equalizer experiment?

vaiogeek 02-19-2004 11:59 AM

Color me Confused!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Did anyone read the data on charging with and without a fan cooling the GP batts? Their results shows a drop in volts and capacity - when a fan IS used to cool the batteries during the charging!

Do these GP's like the heat? I'm confused, I always thought heat was a bad thing for the batteries. Or is this some misleading thing because the batteries were cycled so much - if anything that is even more pointed towards the fact that the cells are ok from the heat!

Can someone with some knowledge on batteries explain?

Thanks.

pro3racer 02-19-2004 12:45 PM

i heard the newer gp's, not the very first round, like the heat, and cooling them down does hurt them. Snayos though like to be cool.

24601 02-19-2004 01:10 PM

Can someone interprete?
Basically, what are they saying? I think I gathered that you shouldn't fan the batts, but the equalizing tray thing I didn't understand or the thing about charging by temperature cut off. Can someone explain it to me?

sosidge 02-19-2004 01:22 PM

Equalizer data suggests increase in runtime, voltage unaffected.

Temperature data shows that in the outdoors, cooling effects from the wind (probably) can affect cell temperature by several degrees from one end of the pack to the other - not good for reliable single-probe temp charging.

Also show that high ambient temperatures will make the pack be at a higher temperature when it peaks using a given delta - and higher cell temp is not a great thing, so advice is to use a lower peak delta in high temerature surroundings.

Dragonfire 02-20-2004 12:40 AM

I have only used a fan to cool batts during charging in excessive heat. never had a prob yet. My matcher told me that the batts need the heat to perform at their peak. My packs have also maintained near new capacity even tho they are about a yr old. Fans me be a batts worst enemy!!!!

rinkrat99 02-20-2004 11:42 AM

Have you tried comparing to Panasonic cells?

rayhuang 02-20-2004 11:54 AM

Cooling a pack w/ a fan while charging doesnt HURT a pack-it just hurts performance on the track and numbers out of your matcher. The GP3300 that we all buy now-long or short likes to be 140º when done charging for racing. You dont have to get them so hot for playing, practice or maybe even your club racing. But if you want every last second and volt -get them close to 140º. Mine are almost always 120º no matter what because thats what my chargers get them to and I never change my charger settings...

I think it may be true that cooling with a fan after racing could hurt them though. Promotes uneven cooliing of the battery (Surface first then towards core, but only on one side, etc....)

ghuber 02-21-2004 09:24 PM

Re: Color me Confused!

Originally posted by vaiogeek
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Did anyone read the data on charging with and without a fan cooling the GP batts? Their results shows a drop in volts and capacity - when a fan IS used to cool the batteries during the charging!

Do these GP's like the heat? I'm confused, I always thought heat was a bad thing for the batteries. Or is this some misleading thing because the batteries were cycled so much - if anything that is even more pointed towards the fact that the cells are ok from the heat!

Can someone with some knowledge on batteries explain?

Thanks.

I'm not totally sure why but it does seem that in general GP cells like heat. A few weeks ago I did some testing on this exact matter. I set a small 6" fan to blow over my CE Turbomatchers during the cycling of some cells. At the end, I found the numbers to be completely off, for the worse. A cell that was would normally register 1.60+ as for as discharge amperage rated in the 1.40's. I was puzzled.. So I sent an email to CE about this issue (Since they mention something about it in the instruction manual of the Turbomatcher) but they never replied.

One way or another, it seems that should keep fans off GP cells while charging - Except for the circumstance of charging in an extremely hot climate.

Speed Demon 02-22-2004 10:22 AM

My local track ambient temp is around 36deg C, should I use fan to blow the batt or dont use at all???

lee82gx 02-22-2004 07:37 PM

Speed Demon:
i think the track surface is 36...
but not the ambient.the air should be around 32-33 only..
i still cool down my packs before they are charged,but now i think better just drive it will it's warm.

Entropy 02-22-2004 08:11 PM

I believe warm is fine but not hot.

Cold batts - fair performance
Warm batts - good performance
Hot batts - drop in performance?, bad for cells

my 2 cents

Motors are simpler, get them as cool as u can... I know some people spray their motors with stuff to flash freeze the motors or chill their motors with drink coolers before their runs