Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2004, 09:37 PM   #16
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm
Default Re: Re: Color me Confused!

Quote:
Originally posted by ghuber
I'm not totally sure why but it does seem that in general GP cells like heat. A few weeks ago I did some testing on this exact matter. I set a small 6" fan to blow over my CE Turbomatchers during the cycling of some cells. At the end, I found the numbers to be completely off, for the worse. ............
I would agree. I did the same experiment on my Turbo matchers about 6 months back. Exactly the same results. Used to use a fan for charging at the track...now I do not.

But I do have a good laugh when someone else at the track talks about the benefits of using a fan whilst charging. I simply answer- have you measured the difference on a turbomatcher? I have yet to recieve a "yes" for an answer.........
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:33 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Smile

hey can some one help me i just bought a cdc v6b charger right
and i have gp 3300 cells but they peak below 9 v and there mah is only like 3500mah and thats chargering at 4.5 amps and discharge at 20 amps there anout 5 months old
why is this
and whats a good voltage to peak at
and also what does mV mean
thanks if u can help me
Anastasi
mr barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:31 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mr barracuda
hey can some one help me i just bought a cdc v6b charger right
and i have gp 3300 cells but they peak below 9 v and there mah is only like 3500mah and thats chargering at 4.5 amps and discharge at 20 amps there anout 5 months old
why is this
and whats a good voltage to peak at
and also what does mV mean
thanks if u can help me
Anastasi
Hi,
you should try and tray your cells before charging .
I also get numbers like these.
the peak voltage doesn't really matter.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:57 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to tonyp126 Send a message via Yahoo to tonyp126

I would really like to see the results of dead shorting the pack. Anyone know when we can expect to see those results?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:05 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyp126
I would really like to see the results of dead shorting the pack. Anyone know when we can expect to see those results?
Dead shorting? I don think its a very good idea as you can really burn the internal structure of a cell ...

Just my 0.02
AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Actually deadShorting rocks on the GP3300's.I have been running the same packs since last years losi race.
The 1st generation of GP3300's do not like being dead shorted.
If your running 3rd generation long cells or the new short button cells deadshorting is the best thing I have done with my cells and it shows on the track.
The ONLY classes I wouldnt deadshort for would be Mod Sedan and Mod Oval due to a minor loss in runtime.

Charge at 6.0 amps with a .05 cutoff.
If it's 90 Degree's or hotter where you are charging drop the threshold or peak detect to .04-.03.
If the pack sits for more than 12 minutes or so or if you charge WAYYYY before your race peak the battery at 6.0amps at .01
The cells do perform better when they are warm.

Guys alot of the issue's with heat,discharging the packs,traying them is the OLD NIMH.The newwer one's are sooo close to nicads care wise that it's awesome.The only difference now between a Nicad and Nimh is the discharge curve not having so much of a dip on older nicads due to the internal makeup of the cell.
Back to Dead Shorting.
There are only a couple of trays out you can deadshort from.
Integy Octane 2,Trinity realtime2 and 2.5.The reason why it's ONLY these trays is NO diode's to limit cutoff.These trays take the cells to 0 volts each.
The octane2 is a 20 amp discharger as well as a tray built in one.
On the Trinity's you wanna discharge at 20-30 amps with something else cutting off at 5.4 volts and then traying them down to 0 and leaving them on for about 3-4 minutes AFTER the lights go out.This is when you apply the jumper wire deadshorting the pack till the next time you run.
If you have been racing for under a year I wouldnt suggest deadshorting but I would advise a tray.
DO NOT leave a charge in your packs when storing UNLESS they wont be used in the next 3 weeks. Again this rule was for the OLD Nimh's not the one's out the last year or so.
Store them at .9 or lower per cell.
I always discharge inbetween charges and wait 1-1.5 hours between recharging the pack on the same day depening on outside temp.
Check out SMC batteries for care info.This man and his R&D guys know their stuff.