R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24
Default Opinions/Thoughts on potential touring car layout?

I was considering making a touring car with a electronic layout based off the Durango DEX410 layout to take to Snowbirds this year.There is a picture of how I'm thinking about laying it out below.I was wondering what are your guys' opinions and thoughts of this layout? Do you guys think this layout would perform well on a touring car? I'm afraid it might have a bit to much wieght on the front and not enough on the rear..but I wanted to get your guy's opinion before I went ahead with the project.
Thanks,
Ethan
Team Kassanova

eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You would most likely have to run in Modified, as ROAR rules say a kit has to be available to the public for 14 days before the event.

I think that with all the battery weight in the rear plus the shaft drive design, you would end up with a car that torque steered a lot. JMO.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

Hmm.. I have never heard of this rule..where can I find it? I briefly looked thru the ROAR rule book but couldn't find it.

Torque steer is a concept that is a concern of mine about this layout. I did some digging up on TC3 torque steer and what I found is that the Warpspeed Demon chassis conversion claimed to have no torque steer. They achieved this by putting the motor on the opposite side of the chassis as a stock Tc3 so it spun in towards the chassis instead out to the side of the chassis like the original tc3 does. This makes me think that I could cut down on torque steer by swapping the side that the motor is on in the pictures posted above.
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I used to run a modified foam tire TC3 on carpet waaaay back in the day when the TC3 first came out. It was an absolute handful on tight courses with all the point and shoot style of racing that indoor tracks typically exhibit. The torque steer was disasterous, and that was only with a 9-single. I can't imagine how bad it would be with a low turn brushless motor. On a lighter note, Snowbirds usually doesn't adhere to ROAR rules in a stringent manner, more over just as a template for certain guidelines. Your own creation may be legal for 17.5 with them, and thus, torque steer won't be bad at all.

First off, I applaud your desire to build and race your own design! So to get your efforts pointed in the right direction, start by considering designs that utilize the same components that will be found at the races you plan to attend. In this case Snowbirds, where most (if not all but the foreign racers) will be using Lipo batteries. Your saddle pack design could work, but the Lipo saddle packs are much lighter than NiMH saddle packs. It would be worth weighing the layout to determine the F/R balance in comparison to the more established chassis designs.

...and what if your center drive had some options like a differential?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Where does the esc go?
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
RC8
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Off the top of my head it looks like the rear diff might have to be pretty high for the driveshaft to clear the batteries. Perhaps if you offset each pack by 1/2 cell you could lower the rear diff.

But for a NiMh car, it looks pretty cool, good luck. I like to see stuff like this work. Is it a bit long?

Torque steer (on accel or braking) is going to happen (although it may be minor) in this design, regardless of where the motor is. It (the motor) spins in the same plane as the car rolls. The car is going to roll a bit during acceleration and if you have any bump steer, you will get some torque steer.

A center diff would be sweet!

I would go for it! I mean if it's just a matter of having a carbon plate cut out, shucks yea, go for it. I've had carbon plates cut out from this guy ([email protected], http://eaglesviewaerial.com/index.html) and have been very pleased with the work. Probably around $100 for a 3mm chassis if you supply the CAD drawing.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I reckon there will be too much weight over the front. Good for understeer unless you can get it 50/50 on the weight split.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
Tech Elite

The weight in that design is over the REAR of the car - not the front.

With that layout there, you have ~420g of battery pack behind the spur, and ~300g of motor and electronics in front.

4wd buggies are built with a rearward weight bias, somewhere around 60/40. Touring cars are built close to 50/50. You will have a lot of mid-corner understeer with that weight distribution.

You're also running a higher CG due to the high spur and driveline (the Durango runs angled input shafts to clear the battery pack - hard to acheive without either a Durango or HPI Cyber 10B to base your design on).

Plus it is shaft drive - so torque steer will become an issue again.

All I can say is build it and try it! It might be a phenomenon. Or it might not...
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
The weight in that design is over the REAR of the car - not the front.

With that layout there, you have ~420g of battery pack behind the spur, and ~300g of motor and electronics in front.

4wd buggies are built with a rearward weight bias, somewhere around 60/40. Touring cars are built close to 50/50. You will have a lot of mid-corner understeer with that weight distribution.

You're also running a higher CG due to the high spur and driveline (the Durango runs angled input shafts to clear the battery pack - hard to acheive without either a Durango or HPI Cyber 10B to base your design on).

Plus it is shaft drive - so torque steer will become an issue again.

All I can say is build it and try it! It might be a phenomenon. Or it might not...
Tourque steer is not an issue with brushless. Much lower rotating mass compared to brushed.

If the idea is to use lipo saddles then the weight distribution wouldn't be too bad, but, I also see problems with the shaft not clearing the batteries.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you used lipo saddles you could run one at the rear and one at the front. Move the motor to the rear and have it on opposing corner to motor (same with saddle packs on opposing corners). I imagine this would be close to 50/50 weight.

Also if you run the smallest possible rotor torque steer would be reduced. It would be best if the chassis was run in 10.5 or slower unless you are very happy with the handling prior to the event.

Of note the awesomatix uses shaft drive with different motor orintation. Might be worth looking at too as they claim to have no torque steer.