R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
-J-
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Amain is expecting their first shipment of T3s the 1st of December. I've already backordered mine. Hopefully I can get it before christmas so I can use it the last half of rug season.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

XRays molded parts are THE best in the industry. I can't speak to the durability, as I haven't raced a Xray. But having built a T2R and a few other TCs in rather quick succession the XRay plastics are head and shoulders above the rest.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

The Xray is no doubt a top class product of the highest quality.

That being said, this does not mean it will be faster than any other car if you're not faster than other drivers.

Ont he other hand, running on asphalt is hard on any car especially on the bootom chassis plate. If you don't mind your car being scratched then I guess it is not a problem.

There are however cars that can offer high quality and similar performance. Tamiya still makes tub chasis cars that can be upgraded to the level you want, the sky is the limit (or your pocket).

The Avid from Robitronic has been mentioned and even though I think a lot of effort has gone in making the car, I had a few bad experiences with it. A number of balljoints were deformed and could not be used form new, so I had to replace them straight away when I built mine. I have been offerred replacements by Robitronic, but just didn't want to wait. The alloy bulkheads on the car look very high quality, but they seem fragile (very thin) so am not sure how they'll cope in heavy crashes (I don't want to test). It is true, they come with some extra suspension blocks to help tune the car, that is very nice indeed. The plastics ont he car seem quite hard as well and if you read the relevant thread you will find others have had the same problem.

Back to the Xray, I have found there is a significant amount of slop in their balljoints/cups, which are a rather hard plastic, something I did not expect form a car at such level. Tamiya has the same slop though. You need to find a solution if this is a worry to you. I found Yokomo balljoints/cups to be better and there are other offerings too from the likes of RPM to fix this problem.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
That being said, this does not mean it will be faster than any other car if you're not faster than other drivers.
That is the main issue. I'm just getting started in running TCs myself. I went out and dropped a bunch of cash on a higher end car, even though I don't have high end skills. The car itself is only I say about 15% of the equation driver accounts for 80% and luck is the last 5%. I'm down grading to running a Cyclone S and selling off my TC5 to pay bills. Do I expect my lap times to get worse because of it? No, as the weak part of the equation was behind the transmitter, not on the car end.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFist View Post
That is the main issue. I'm just getting started in running TCs myself. I went out and dropped a bunch of cash on a higher end car, even though I don't have high end skills. The car itself is only I say about 15% of the equation driver accounts for 80% and luck is the last 5%. I'm down grading to running a Cyclone S and selling off my TC5 to pay bills. Do I expect my lap times to get worse because of it? No, as the weak part of the equation was behind the transmitter, not on the car end.
If only everybody would understand this before they make the same mistake. In your case however I don't think a TC5 is that expensive so I don't think it's such a biggie. People running TC5 cars here however admit they take more effort and patience to tune than other brands. I don't think it's worth now selling a good car and buying a lower spec one. It is going to cost more than if you kept at it with the car you've got.

Back to the issue, as with most other products these days, they're so over the top in quality and features that most people are way overspending (and we know how much good that did to the economy lately). Most cars, cameras, computers, etc are way above the needs and capabilities of your average user. It was this realisation that led me to have the signature line below. Keep it real(istic).

That being said, I think Tamiya has captured the idea best by launching low end cars that can be upgraded ad infinitum as people's driving skills improve and the cars become the limiting factor. And I am not really a Tamiya fan. True, you might end up spending more money in the end than buying the top of tops car right out, but remember the spending is going to be spread out over a longer period and you can stop at any time.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

From a person who has purchased Kyosho, Tamiya, Hard Bodies in the past, I can honestly and sincerely say that an Xray is worth it. Nothing compares in terms of quality and finish...and that is my truest (is that an actual word?) view
V_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J- View Post
Amain is expecting their first shipment of T3s the 1st of December.
While that is what their web site says, T3's shipped out last week via airmail from Xray so I am really hoping the kits start coming in before December.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I am a new racer and I am putting both of my xrays through absolute hell. I have a T2 (VTA class) and a T2 008 (17.5 stock class) and I have hit everything and everyone on the track on numerous occasions. So far the only part that I have managed to break is a outboard upright toe in. Other than that the car has been bullet proof.

One time a turn marshall even managed to step on my car, it took right off like nothing ever happened. I have went through a couple of bodies already though. It's hard to believe but I am that bad!

If any manufacturer's out there are reading this, I am the guy you want to test out your car's for durability.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Xrays are very durable and great beginner cars as they are for advanced racers. Best in the industry in terms of durability and availability to boot. The support for the cars is bar none. You even have racers of great caliber, Paul Lemeiux (forgive the spelling), willing to share setup tips and explain setups. You cannot beat that.

Definitely worth the money. I'll be getting mine as soon as my store has them in stock.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have owned quite a few chassis including xrays and there is no question that xray IS the strongest chassis on the market and certainly around the top of the list in quality. I generally find that xrays are more difficult to tune compared to other chassis and don't always respond quite right (if at all) to setup change. They do however go very well when you put a capable driver behind the wheel.

I would suggest with the T3 comming out very soon you wait for that. The new car fixes one of xrays biggest problems right off the bat.