R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Rubber Tires-How to tell when they are useless?

this has been my first year of racing, and albeit its been a good one, im still trying to learn the smaller things. i've been running most of my tires down to the belt, the slapping on a new set and feel like my car has gotten wicked fast.

so, how can i tell when they should soon be chucked? when they start making ripples? or all the way to the belt?
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Its just a balance between performance and budget. After a few runs (maybe less depending on the surface and the compound) they will start to lose performance. Most people run them until the performance hinders their abilities. If you crash a lot then new tires won't make much of a difference. If you are really fast and .1 seconds per lap makes a difference in the result you might replace them every 1-2 runs. Obviously once the belt shows you are at the end of life.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i used to put a few runs on these jaco blue things and they would rip up shortly after i opened the package. 30 bucks a week it got to.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On carpet, I usually wait until there is either a tear on the inside edge of the tire, or until there is a deep groove on the inside edge.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

What causes that groove on the inside edge of the tire? I never noticed it on carpet but after one day on asphalt, all four tires have a groove. It seems to match up with the inside of the rim when the tire rolls. Does this indicate a weak or used insert?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For me if I start to lose traction after 15-20 laps, its a sign that my tires are done.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
What causes that groove on the inside edge of the tire? I never noticed it on carpet but after one day on asphalt, all four tires have a groove. It seems to match up with the inside of the rim when the tire rolls. Does this indicate a weak or used insert?
its from running alot of camber i run 2 degrees and that is wat usually does it
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crum View Post
its from running alot of camber i run 2 degrees and that is wat usually does it
Thanks. I'll take some out and see where it goes.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
Tech Master

From new, no more than 3 runs per race. Then keep it for the next meet and use it for practice.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Tech Addict

most of the guys racing stock at our local outdoor asphalt track will usually buy a set of 24R, 28R and 32R sorex tyres and that will easily last more than a years racing in all kinds of conditions.

I am certain the pro guys will notice the 1/10 of a second difference between new tyres and old tyres but for 98% of the racers out there it makes no difference except of course in the back pocket.

It also depends on how abrasive the track surface is too, somed tracks are really easy on tyres and others rip the tyres to shreds. Also choosing the right tyre for the conditions makes a huge difference to wear.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
It's not camber.

It's the way the tyre moves under load and the effect of the edge of the belt.

Some tyres are just prone to it. It is unavoidable. Asphalt can be a lot more abrasive than carpet which is why the wear shows up faster.

I'm always surprised at how little time I actually lose per lap when the inside edge of the (front) tyre has already torn (when it happens to the rears the car becomes uncontrollable).
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Tech Adept

I see it more when a track has long sweepers and the inside tire is unloaded and with a lot of ackermann being dragged thru by the front spool. If i see this happenning i try to swap my fronts (left-right) every run.

on the outside tire if your car is understeering a little I see it because at max steering angle the inside part of the tire actually rolls over the inside sidewall meaning you have a more solid thing under the tire surface than just the insert causing more wear in that particular spot.
gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
It's not camber.

It's the way the tyre moves under load and the effect of the edge of the belt.

Some tyres are just prone to it. It is unavoidable. Asphalt can be a lot more abrasive than carpet which is why the wear shows up faster.

I'm always surprised at how little time I actually lose per lap when the inside edge of the (front) tyre has already torn (when it happens to the rears the car becomes uncontrollable).
+1
Old 10-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post
I see it more when a track has long sweepers and the inside tire is unloaded and with a lot of ackermann being dragged thru by the front spool. If i see this happenning i try to swap my fronts (left-right) every run.

on the outside tire if your car is understeering a little I see it because at max steering angle the inside part of the tire actually rolls over the inside sidewall meaning you have a more solid thing under the tire surface than just the insert causing more wear in that particular spot.
thats a good first point, we have a fast sweeper so i will definitely switch my fronts next time. thanks!
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote