R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Smile Advice on Radio Car Rules

Hello Everyone,

I want to get into this hobby and get one of my cars setup for racing. I have couple of tamiya chassis and dozen body shells. Various Motors and spare parts kind of went crazy on ebay and brought alot of remote control car stuff without looking into it first. Just wanting to know if your allowed use nimh batterys with Tamiya connector. And what would i need to buy if i have not got right batterys or motors which are poeples personal peffers.

Regards

Rob
rcCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcCrafty View Post
Hello Everyone,

I want to get into this hobby and get one of my cars setup for racing. I have couple of tamiya chassis and dozen body shells. Various Motors and spare parts kind of went crazy on ebay and brought alot of remote control car stuff without looking into it first. Just wanting to know if your allowed use nimh batterys with Tamiya connector. And what would i need to buy if i have not got right batterys or motors which are poeples personal peffers.

Regards
Rob
Go to your local track and find out what is running there and what their local rules are. Most in the states run ROAR rules but, it depends on the track and there are too many things for us to go through if we don't know what you are actually racing.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX View Post
Go to your local track and find out what is running there and what their local rules are. Most in the states run ROAR rules but, it depends on the track and there are too many things for us to go through if we don't know what you are actually racing.

well i have tt-01 and tl-01
the motors at local club are 27t (stock)
19t brushed and 10.5t brushless

nimh battery
Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
well i have tt-01 and tl-01
the motors at local club are 27t (stock)
19t brushed and 10.5t brushless

nimh battery
Sorry, I didn't notice that your info specifies Scotland. You probably want someone with BRCA(?) knowledge.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Tech Elite

You won't get thrown out of the club for running a Tamiya or running NiMHs! Get down there and have some fun!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
You won't get thrown out of the club for running a Tamiya or running NiMHs! Get down there and have some fun!
thank you for your reply

just need get hold of speed controller for 10.5 brushless motor what would you suggest
Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
thank you for your reply

just need get hold of speed controller for 10.5 brushless motor what would you suggest
A word of advice - if you've got Tamiya connectors on your battery, stick to the 27t stock class! The heat generated by something more powerful, like a 10.5 brushless could melt the connectors together as they are not known for ability to pass high amounts of current.

Also - first getting into it, you'll break less if you stick to the slower classes

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Thirtybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtybird View Post
A word of advice - if you've got Tamiya connectors on your battery, stick to the 27t stock class! The heat generated by something more powerful, like a 10.5 brushless could melt the connectors together as they are not known for ability to pass high amounts of current.

Also - first getting into it, you'll break less if you stick to the slower classes

thank you for advice if running 10.5 what kind of battery connector should be used

and what kind of mains charger should i get

thank you once again
Old 10-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
thank you for advice if running 10.5 what kind of battery connector should be used

and what kind of mains charger should i get

thank you once again
I wouldn't recommend 10.5 if you are a beginner. It is VERY fast. It will also tear the transmission in your TT-01 and TL-01 to shreds. 27T brushed is plenty to get used to. Deans or Corally connectors are what most people use.

Your charger should be LiPo and NiMH compatible. There are many good chargers out there, try and get one that is distributed in the UK through the normal channels - some of the very cheap eBay chargers overcharge the cells which is potentially very dangerous.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX View Post
Sorry, I didn't notice that your info specifies Scotland. You probably want someone with BRCA(?) knowledge.
BRCA, ROAR, All Congress of RC Racing is basiscally the same rules of IFMAR. Get the rule book on which Congress applies to your area. It will give your Motor & bodies that are legal. Some clubs have their own rules, but basically on IMFAR rules.

ESC rules?? Novak, LRP, Tekins are the popular ones. Just choose one that could handle the turn or kv's. NiMh's are going to the grave, Lipo's the up coming fad of RC's.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I wouldn't recommend 10.5 if you are a beginner. It is VERY fast. It will also tear the transmission in your TT-01 and TL-01 to shreds. 27T brushed is plenty to get used to. Deans or Corally connectors are what most people use.

Your charger should be LiPo and NiMH compatible. There are many good chargers out there, try and get one that is distributed in the UK through the normal channels - some of the very cheap eBay chargers overcharge the cells which is potentially very dangerous.

thank you for your advice just wondering tho just have the 10.5 to practise with in spare time and what speed controller to get

what chassis of tamiya would handle 10.5 alright
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
thank you for your advice just wondering tho just have the 10.5 to practise with in spare time and what speed controller to get

what chassis of tamiya would handle 10.5 alright
Again, there are a lot of ESC's that will run a 10.5. Ask around at the club and the local shops to see what they suggest.

You would need a Tamiya TRF chassis or perhaps a TA05 or TB03 if you want it to handle the power of a 10.5.