Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

I have been running the small cap for several months now without issue. plus it fits better. i say run it....
Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just ran 119 mph on mine......

Ballistic 3.5/Kinetic/MaxAmps 5250 mah 7.4V

Sooo yeah theya re pretty sweet~!
Just Say'in
Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks novak for the great service, recieved email saying my 1s in on the way back to me. you guys are the best. (well now that shawn and adam aren't with sp anymore) yea I said it out loud.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Problem updating firmware

Hi all, just thought I'd post my experience with my new Kinetic ESC/motor combo, as I went through all 76 pages of this thread in shear frustration the other day, during the 6 hours it took me to finally resolve my issue.

I had a problem getting the firmware updater (v1.3) to run on my Windows Vista powered 32bit laptop. Every time I clicked on the button to launch the updater, I got a popup window with an error message that only a programmer would understand. Nothing simple like "please do this to get this to work..." I tried everything I found on this thread about a dozen times, all with the same results.

Finally, I started to think like a 5-year old, back to the basics. You know that wonderful "Deny or Allow feature" that was introduced in Windows Vista? The one that the Mac commericals made fun of? Well apparently, that "feature" was silently causing the firmware updater to fail. I didn't get the window that usually comes on asking to "Deny or Allow", but instead the just automatically denied it, causing the strange error message in the Novalink software. Once I disabled that Windows "feature", the firmware updater ran flawlessly!

Hopefully this helps someone before they spend 6 hours trying to figure it out
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DharmaVanDriver
Hi all, just thought I'd post my experience with my new Kinetic ESC/motor combo, as I went through all 76 pages of this thread in shear frustration the other day, during the 6 hours it took me to finally resolve my issue.

I had a problem getting the firmware updater (v1.3) to run on my Windows Vista powered 32bit laptop. Every time I clicked on the button to launch the updater, I got a popup window with an error message that only a programmer would understand. Nothing simple like "please do this to get this to work..." I tried everything I found on this thread about a dozen times, all with the same results.

Finally, I started to think like a 5-year old, back to the basics. You know that wonderful "Deny or Allow feature" that was introduced in Windows Vista? The one that the Mac commericals made fun of? Well apparently, that "feature" was silently causing the firmware updater to fail. I didn't get the window that usually comes on asking to "Deny or Allow", but instead the just automatically denied it, causing the strange error message in the Novalink software. Once I disabled that Windows "feature", the firmware updater ran flawlessly!

Hopefully this helps someone before they spend 6 hours trying to figure it out

Thanks for the more indepth explanation, although I think a couple pages back someone suggested it was security settings that is blocking the updater, not only on Vista but older systems as well. Very good info to know though.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtraman122
The new light weight/small profile cap is now available for the 2S, no need for the 1S one. #5678
Until they make one as small as the ones for the RS's it won't be much if any improvement. I love Novak and I have been using them since the T1 but the cars are getting smaller/ tighter for electronics and I think Novak is a little behind on loosing some weight compared to other esc's.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ThrottleKing
Until they make one as small as the ones for the RS's it won't be much if any improvement. I love Novak and I have been using them since the T1 but the cars are getting smaller/ tighter for electronics and I think Novak is a little behind on loosing some weight compared to other esc's.
The Kinetic foot print is a little larger but weight wise it actually comes in lighter than the LRP SXXSSV2. I had to do a swap like that and had to redo my weight distribution because of the weight difference. And that was with the big cap.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Smoked!

Well, my Kinetic went tonight. 2nd round of practice only 3-minutes into the run. Not sure what happened but this is the 4th Kinetic to fry at our track (MHOR) this season.

I d/loaded the v1.3 software and firmware last night. Reduced my drag brake from 9% to 3%. I also increased the current limiter to '6.' Well, it sure is a smooth running combo with the Ballistic motor. These things happen and will just have to send it in as the speedo is only a month old.

I should have never sold my spare but this one was working so well that it exceeded all expectations and was confident that it would hold strong all season. A lesson I have already learned with brushless 8th scale--always keep a spare ESC.

- Danger
Old 11-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I've been running a Kinetic in an XRAY T3.

Ambient temp is arround 25 to 30 derees C.

Grearing is 8.8.

Motor is a Balistic 4.5.

The motor comes off between 60 and 80 degrees C

When I check the temp on the ESC I get a green light.

Is this somthing to worry about?

What can I do to reduce the ESC Temp with out losing to much speed?

Also, At one point I checed the ESC Temp and all the LED's flashed. Does this mean I tripped the first stage of the thermal protection?

Mark
Old 11-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nerdling
Hi Guys,

I've been running a Kinetic in an XRAY T3.

Ambient temp is arround 25 to 30 derees C.

Grearing is 8.8.

Motor is a Balistic 4.5.

The motor comes off between 60 and 80 degrees C

When I check the temp on the ESC I get a green light.

Is this somthing to worry about?

What can I do to reduce the ESC Temp with out losing to much speed?

Also, At one point I checed the ESC Temp and all the LED's flashed. Does this mean I tripped the first stage of the thermal protection?

Mark
Are you running a fan on the speed control?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Smith
I just ran 119 mph on mine......

Ballistic 3.5/Kinetic/MaxAmps 5250 mah 7.4V

Sooo yeah theya re pretty sweet~!
Just Say'in
That's impressive, what's your set up?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Are you running a fan on the speed control?
Yup
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nerdling
Yup
Without seeing your profile for the speed control, you could try a couple of other things. Reduce your "Timing Level" by 5* or change the "Timing set point" in the RPM select choice, it could be either too much added timing to the motor or the set point is too low for the track your running and your bogging a small amount thats making heat in the motor. You could also try a different "Current Limit" setting in combination with the "TSP", you may have to play around with the 2, but it should help the heat problem.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

has anyone been able to get the kinetic one cell to work reliably? Mine was working OK, then started cutting the motor off every lap or so. Steering still has full power. I have tried turning off the LVC, no help. So far I have heard of several others with the same issue on both V1.3 and 1.3 fix.

I am running V1.3, 30 to 45 deg of timing, 2K start, 6 to 7k end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.