Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, i hope there is somebody who can help me on this one.

I installed a new Novak kinetic 2s in my Mi4lp together with a ballistic 13.5t motor.
I also got the novalink programming interface but for some reason i can't get things to work.
When i plug the novalink into the speedcontroller i get the following error messages:

- Start rpm out of range
- End rpm out of range
- Boost rate out of range
- Applied timing out of range
- Turbo mode out of range

If i try to update the settings of the speed controller i get the following error message:

- An error occured when converting data for transmit. Please reset values and try again. Lenght can not be less then zero.
Parameter name: Length

And after that the software seems to "hang" until i disconnect the speed controller.

It's also strange that the date and time in the novalink screen stays at 1-1-1970 0:00 UTC.

When do the novalink connection check everything appears to be oke and every test is passed.

The installed novalink software is version 1.3 and i updated the speedo to firmware version 1.3.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, i hope somebody can help me on this one,

I installed a new Novak kinetic 2s speed controller in my Mi4lp together with a ballistic 13.5t motor.
I also got the novalink programming interface but for some reason i can't get things to work.
When i plug the novalink into the speedcontroller i get the following error messages:

- Start rpm out of range
- End rpm out of range

If i try to update the settings of speed controller i get the following error message:

- An error occured when converting data for transmit. Please reset values and try again. Lenght can not be less then zero.

And after that the software seems to "hang" until i disconnect the novalink from the speedo.

It's also strange that the date and time in the novalink screen stays at 1-1-1970 0:00 UTC.

When i do the novalink connection check everything appears to be oke and every test is passed.

The installed novalink software is version 1.3 and i updated the speedo to firmware version 1.3.

Programming with the switch works fine.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magneto
Hi, i hope somebody can help me on this one,

I installed a new Novak kinetic 2s speed controller in my Mi4lp together with a ballistic 13.5t motor.

- Start rpm out of range
- End rpm out of range

If i try to update the settings of speed controller i get the following error message:

And after that the software seems to "hang" until i disconnect the novalink from the speedo.

When i do the novalink connection check everything appears to be oke and every test is passed.

Programming with the switch works fine.
Have you tried to pre-build a program and then load it to the Kinetic? All those messages are legitimate errors if your settings are out of range. OR try to hit the reset setting and re-adjust your settings from start. The only weird message I ever get refers to the Lipo selection, and thats a system fault.
Your screen date is the same as mine, another glitch in the software, but non-effecting.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 11-02-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

got an interesting error on the weekend.

Pluged the Novalink in, got a message to update to version 1.3. I've allready done this. Is this a sign of an underlying problem?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I get that all the time, just unplug and plug it back in. I noticed I always get that if I leave the battery plugged in while doing it.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xtraman122
I get that all the time, just unplug and plug it back in. I noticed I always get that if I leave the battery plugged in while doing it.
I was advised by NOVAK to never leave the main battery plugged in when using novalink as you can damage the brainboard as I did on mine. I believe the online manual has been updated to this effect.

I also get the 1.3 message from time to time. I only saw the out of range error the very first time I connected the Kinetic to the PC. Until recently when playing with the throttle curves.

Try one touch setup and connect the novalink again. This seems to sort most problems and always make sure you disconnect the main battery, it won't always kill the ESC but it can.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I was advised by NOVAK to never leave the main battery plugged in when using novalink as you can damage the brainboard as I did on mine. I believe the online manual has been updated to this effect.
I've just checked and it isn't mentioned anywhere. It really should be as it can brick the ESC leaving the main battery connected.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I know I've seen it mentioned somewhere, Tekin says the same thing for their stuff.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 AM
Company Representative

Default Kinetic 1S Update:

Yesterday, we uploaded the interim SW patch for the Kinetic 1S esc for users with the NovaLink:

NovaLink Downloads

For those of you without the NL, we can send you a new plug-in "brain" board with the micro programmed with this new firmware update. Those of you who would prefer the brain board option, please PM me your mailing address and I will get one out to you.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Yesterday, we uploaded the interim SW patch for the Kinetic 1S esc for users with the NovaLink:

NovaLink Downloads

For those of you without the NL, we can send you a new plug-in "brain" board with the micro programmed with this new firmware update. Those of you who would prefer the brain board option, please PM me your mailing address and I will get one out to you.
How much is a brain board for the 2S version? I think I fried mine. Another victim of battery while updating. Although everything appears to work except the brakes. Even after resetting doing the one touch set up they are very weak. The only thing I haven't tried is reloading the 1.3 firmware to the device.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by macdude
How much is a brain board for the 2S version? I think I fried mine. Another victim of battery while updating. Although everything appears to work except the brakes. Even after resetting doing the one touch set up they are very weak. The only thing I haven't tried is reloading the 1.3 firmware to the device.
I suggest emailing all of your symptoms to [email protected] and they can assist you with your problems. We don't currently sell brain boards, but as these products mature, it might be a good idea....
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

try in this order - reload 1.3 and then redo 1 touch and then reset settings with novalink.
Also make sure brake frequency is set to the lowest number - maybe try this one first

I lost all brakes too at one time and was not very happy until I realized I had the brake frequency set too high when playing with the settings.

Last edited by PFKAOG; 11-03-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
try in this order - reload 1.3 and then redo 1 touch and then reset settings with novalink.
Also make sure brake frequency is set to the lowest number - maybe try this one first

I lost all brakes too at one time and was not very happy until I realized I had the brake frequency set too high when playing with the settings.
I'll give this a try when I get home. Like I said before everything in the Nova link seemed to work and I even made adjustments to the drive frequency that I could feel. But the break where just really weak compared to how they where acting before the "oops"
Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'll give this a try when I get home. Like I said before everything in the Nova link seemed to work and I even made adjustments to the drive frequency that I could feel. But the break where just really weak compared to how they where acting before the "oops"
I forgot to unplug the battery a few times myself and may have gotten lucky by escaping damage. If you were playing with the drive frequencies I'll bet that's the problem.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you Johnny for your answer, i tried to upload a pre-build program but still the same result.

As soon as i hit the update button, this message: "An error occured when converting data for transmit. Please reset values and try again. Lenght can not be less then zero. Parameter name: Length"
On the background the running circle is present but nothing is happening, and it can only be stopped by clicking the disconnect button.

When i program the esc by use of the switch everything works fine and run perfect.

I'm i still doing something wrong here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.