Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

So the entire weekend (well maybe not the entire weekend....had to make time for a burger and a maragarita!) has been spent trying to update the firmware from 1.1 to 1.3. I now have it to 1.2. I just drained a 5000mAh 40c lipo to cutoff. HOLY CRAP is this thing fast! I messed with the settings before I went outside. Wanted it to sound like my "other" speedo. IMO you know its a good speedo when I can make my Fantom Ion2 17.5 as fast as a 10.5! Heat wasnt an issue and I made sure the current limiter was set so I had very little wheel spin (on pavement).

I know many of us are having update issues or other bugs....but Novak will get them worked out! Bob, Charlie, and Team will go the distance to make this "THE SPEEDO" to run! Hang in there guys....you wont regret it.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
Okay so I now have the dreaded 5 light flash and then nothing

Looks like a bad "brain board" judging by other posts on here???

1 out of 3 race meetings successfully runnning the kinetic

Novak tech support contacted, see what they say. This is becoming part of the hobby with the Kinetic.

I was updating settings on the ESC via the laptop, after completing the upload of timing settings the software said ESC disconnected and the problem started.
Please call us on Monday at 949-833-8873, sounds like your Kinetic's flash memory got corrupted while updating.
The boot loader that updates the firmware should still be operational as that is protected, our tech should be able to walk you through re-programming the firmware.

Dis you dis connect the fan from the esc while you were updating the firmware?
Some laptops USB port is not able to handle the power requirement of the esc and the fan at the same time. Also the noise from the fan can interfere with the USB comm.

Anyway please call we will do our best to get up up and running.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

On my way back from the IIC that was in Vegas.

Steve Rossi was able to secure himself a spot in the 17.5 Super Stock class A Main using the Kinetic and Ballistic.

RPM Range 5500-1400
Applied Timing 54'
Boost On @ 300ms
5.4-5.6 Final Drive with Jaco Premounts (for size)
Motor timing was set to 30' (standard timing)

Now Steve's car was working very well, and this was on a fairly tight high traction layout, so these settings may not work for you.

Also, be sure when you're using your NL to update or work with the ESC that you always unplug the battery pack from the it. I've damaged an ESC this way..... a couple times in my haste to make quick changes when working on new setups.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie
Also, be sure when you're using your NL to update or work with the ESC that you always unplug the battery pack from the it. I've damaged an ESC this way..... a couple times in my haste to make quick changes when working on new setups.
I've done it several times with no damage, maybe I just got lucky. I'll be sure to disconnect from now on. (I always knew you were supposed to, I just wasn't too adament about it.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by escman
Please call us on Monday at 949-833-8873, sounds like your Kinetic's flash memory got corrupted while updating.
The boot loader that updates the firmware should still be operational as that is protected, our tech should be able to walk you through re-programming the firmware.

Dis you dis connect the fan from the esc while you were updating the firmware?
Some laptops USB port is not able to handle the power requirement of the esc and the fan at the same time. Also the noise from the fan can interfere with the USB comm.

Anyway please call we will do our best to get up up and running.
I was not updating firmware, just changing timing settings. Weirdly I was still able to update the firmware even with the 5 lights coming on and going off. This didn't fix the problem though.

Yes the fan was disconnected.

I live in the UK so calling is a bit tricky. Can you get someone to email me a procedure to try and get the ESC going?[email protected]
Old 09-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Company Representative

I was not updating firmware, just changing timing settings. Weirdly I was still able to update the firmware even with the 5 lights coming on and going off. This didn't fix the problem though.

Yes the fan was disconnected.

I live in the UK so calling is a bit tricky. Can you get someone to email me a procedure to try and get the ESC going?[email protected]
I have forwarded your request to Adnan (escman) for assistance.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Awesome, cheers.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default Nova Link update

We have started working on the next revision of the Nova Link (1.4) mainly to address the communication issues some of you are experiencing, especially during firmware updating. If you like to see any additional functions or features added to Nova link please let us know.
We will try our best to get as many new features implemented in the next revision as our resources will allow us to get them implemented in a reasonable time frame.
We will be adding a tab to save all the applicable information on your gearing and car setup.
Adnan Khan
Novak Engineering
Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Company Representative

Awesome, cheers.
We will be sending you a new Kinetic brain board today.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

increasing and a selectable boost amount? some tracks have tight infields and really long straights. best of booth worlds
thanks guys for staying on the ball the Kinetic is starting to turn heads and people are asking Q's everyweekend. its just a matter of time before Novak is back on top!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by escman
We have started working on the next revision of the Nova Link (1.4) mainly to address the communication issues some of you are experiencing, especially during firmware updating. If you like to see any additional functions or features added to Nova link please let us know.
We will try our best to get as many new features implemented in the next revision as our resources will allow us to get them implemented in a reasonable time frame.
We will be adding a tab to save all the applicable information on your gearing and car setup.
Adnan Khan
Novak Engineering
The biggest complaint I have is that it does not tell you if there is another version of the firmware, or novalink software from in the program. Also updating should not require me to manually uninstall the previous version. If that is necessary that should all be taken care of through the installer package. I kind of feel like ever thought the ESC is state of the art, the program acts like we are back in the mid 90's with windows 98. Not to be mean but all this should at this point be taking care of itself.

Here is a basic sequence of events that I would prefer to see. Start up program, novalink detected, esc detected, Warning panel pop up new version of software available, option to install or ignore.
If you are going to install the new version the installer downloads, unzips, and starts all without any other interaction from the user. Once the installer starts if the older version needs to be uninstalled then it just does it. Asks about default folder and may be desktop/start menu short cuts.... then done.

With a new version of the software, and you plug in the ESC, if there is a new version of the firmware warning pop up, with a description of changes. And an option to install or not,
If you are going to get the new firmware, the program downloads and unzips the necessary files, and then starts the update process. No user interaction should be necessary and there should not be a separate program (user side anyway).

I would look at how the castle creations software updates and would just copy it. Out of all the updatable ESC's it is the most consistent and least confusing of them all. (There is no copy this file to that directory and the launch this program and hope for the best. If you don't plug the ESC in just right after the program asks you to it will not update the firmware, so you need to try again. Etc. )
Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Couple of things would be nice on the next version of firmware. 1) make it so you dont have to reprogram the ESC after you set radio endpoints. That is a pain. 2) give 1 to 3 points to the timing curve so we can play with the rpm vs timing. right now you can really only change slope and amount a little. Since I know my minimum and max rpm on the track (data logger) it would be nice to be able to set the timing at those two points. Example say the rpm is 4000 to 8000, with the current setup I cant get 30 deg of timing at 4000, would like to be able to set start at say 2000, 30 deg at 4000 and 50 at 8000.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slotracer577
Couple of things would be nice on the next version of firmware. 1) make it so you dont have to reprogram the ESC after you set radio endpoints. That is a pain.
I think that is my only real issue, I love everything else, don't mind managing my own firmware files, but having radio recalibration wipe everything is a little annoying. I also think adjustable boost is something that should be added, but it doesn't affect me (don't use it) so I won't complain.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=macdude;7935007]The biggest complaint I have is that it does not tell you if there is another version of the firmware, or novalink software from in the program. Also updating should not require me to manually uninstall the .....

Thanks for you input, we are working on getting the installation process to be a little less painful.
We spent all our effort on the esc firmware and the Nova Link, the installation process was given a low priority so we could finish the project. Improvements that you ask for are in the pipeline, please give us some time to get them done.
Adnan
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slotracer577
Couple of things would be nice on the next version of firmware. 1) make it so you dont have to reprogram the ESC after you set radio endpoints. That is a pain. 2) give 1 to 3 points to the timing curve so we can play with the rpm vs timing. right now you can really only change slope and amount a little. Since I know my minimum and max rpm on the track (data logger) it would be nice to be able to set the timing at those two points. Example say the rpm is 4000 to 8000, with the current setup I cant get 30 deg of timing at 4000, would like to be able to set start at say 2000, 30 deg at 4000 and 50 at 8000.
Reason for cleaning up all the data after one touch is due to fact lot of the data such as minimum brake, drag brake, min drive and dead ban are based on the Neutral, full forward and full brake information calculated during one touch.
As a matter of fact in the transmitter throttle trow is reversed during one touch all the data must be re-calculated.

Timing information is stored in a different memory array so its not lost.
If you recalibrate the esc to a different transmitter and then connect to the Nova Link is should show the last timing setup

On your second request we maybe able to add a different way of timing setup option.
Perhaps one can fill out a table with 6-8 RPM points and the required applied timing at those points. This method is highly prone to mistakes by the operator.
I have to look at this in more detail.
Adnan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.