Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Also...what's the status on the 1S Kinetic?
Novak....anyone....Bueller???
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just ordered mine. Thanks buddy
Now, the sad part is we have to sleep with EVERYONE from a-main due to my past comments! Mine shipped today so I should get it Saturday.

Mick, I programmed mine last night with the receiver disconnected form the control....no problems at all. Oddly enough, it was a no-go when the rec was plugged in?????? I'm now blind from the lights, but I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Btw....Tower has NovaLinks as well
Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcannon409
Mick, I programmed mine last night with the receiver disconnected form the control....no problems at all. Oddly enough, it was a no-go when the rec was plugged in?????? I'm now blind from the lights, but I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe it's the case that 2.4g is sending a lock signal to the esc when conneceted but not bound to the tranny, 2.4g users should try unplugging from receiver to one touch programme esc when the tranny is not available.

As for bright lights, unless you're a mogwai, it shouldn't be much of a problem but sunnies can help and as a bonus you'll look cool when programming your kinetic.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Steve UK
Timing settings etc for 10.5

From our experience, and weve had some.

Try the settings I gave earlier to Scoyle for 10.5, it's a very agressive setting but I've been running it now for quite a few meetings and not had 1 meltdown yet, strong power and excellent top end, however I strongly advise you take into account my reccommendations on fixed endbell timing and FDR. I am running 6.7 to 7.0 depending on circuit size, I went into specific detail of equipment used track style and speedo settings in earlier mail recently so as to avoid any meltdowns for users.

Novak have produced a speedo which is very adjustable, with adjustments available that can cause damage if used without proper caution, if the speedo was not capable of over stretching other items in the circuit , ref motors. then customers would always believe it's not capable of pushing equipment to it's limits.

However thats the nature of the RC Beast currently, pushing equipment to within an inch of it's life, especially On-road Electric. Used correctly it's a fantastic piece of kit,

If you want to go in at the top, and go hard immediately, Take note of the excellent advice given on here from trusted users, ( Novak reps )and you won't go far wrong.

Otherwise if time is on your side and you wish to sort it out yourself, be cautious and approach the limits from below. Enjoy learning this equipment and save yourself some bucks on the way.

With regards to one touch programming without the transmitter, It's my belief that if you use 2.4g then you need the transmitter available and switched on. The speedo needs to recognise a receiver attached and 2.4g don't supply the required signal to the speedo unless it's receieving a signal from the tranny. However, 40 meg etc receivers don't require the connection to the tranny and as such the esc can be programmed without the tranny in attendance, hence why some people can programme the esc with out the tranny on.

Steve
Team Novak/CML UK On-Road rep.
Good advice. My fault for over gearing. I've not had enough experience to notice the subtleties of an over geared car. I guess 5.6 is quite alot higher than 6.9. It's just 6.9 sounded way low after running 4.52 normally.

I'm a bit nervous trying the 55* and boost again but with the higher gearing on a large tarmac track do you think it will be okay then. Can you damage brushless motors from under gearing them?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

I'd like to see the turbo setting made adjustable.

It would be nice if you could set the timing level to be say 20* and the boost be 40* instead of 60*.

Is this likely to be a software update in the future?

Also with the novalink is it possible to set timing level at 20* but still enable the boost? If so I presume the boost is still 60*. Is this correct?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Company Representative

Novak....anyone....Bueller???
We are still on target for EOM shipping of our Kinetic 1S controller.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Company Representative

The NL operating instructions include an email address to send future upgrade suggestions to our developers.

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I'd like to see the turbo setting made adjustable.

It would be nice if you could set the timing level to be say 20* and the boost be 40* instead of 60*.

Is this likely to be a software update in the future?

Also with the novalink is it possible to set timing level at 20* but still enable the boost? If so I presume the boost is still 60*. Is this correct?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We are still on target for EOM shipping of our Kinetic 1S controller.
Sweet!! Now what was the EOM shipping date again?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

End Of Month...
Old 08-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jay_P
Looking for some help, Im pretty new to these advance timing speedos

Will a TC with a 13.5 GM, 30 deg advance, 9.5k timing point with a 5.10 fdr cause any problems?
Anyone?

Last edited by Jay_P; 08-26-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default HEAT!!!!!!

I am not sure why, but the kinetic produces way more heat to the controller than either the tekin or mamba. Same settings and FDR and the motor with the novak is 20-30 degrees higher than the Tekin. The mamba is closer but still seems to run cooler.

Did quite a bit of testing yesterday, and the only thing that I notice that may make things hard is that the drag brakes according to the lights produce a ton more braking than say, when you program what should be the same value via the novalink. Not sure why this is but it seems that the values do not match.

I also notice the drive frequency, seems softer from the novalink than when you set it via the lights. 13.8 with the lights is closer to 11 via the novalink in feel. I tried it a bunch of times to make sure that it wasn't just my mind, but even other drivers noticed a big difference.

Tomorrow I am going to try running closer to 7 for a FDR and see if I can't get the temps down. This seem a little high but others are running this with their mamba's and Tekins with full boost. I never liked pushing the motors this hard so I always run a little lower FDR and less boost because I like how that drives in the in field.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by macdude
I am not sure why, but the kinetic produces way more heat to the controller than either the tekin or mamba. Same settings and FDR and the motor with the novak is 20-30 degrees higher than the Tekin. The mamba is closer but still seems to run cooler.

Did quite a bit of testing yesterday, and the only thing that I notice that may make things hard is that the drag brakes according to the lights produce a ton more braking than say, when you program what should be the same value via the novalink. Not sure why this is but it seems that the values do not match.

I also notice the drive frequency, seems softer from the novalink than when you set it via the lights. 13.8 with the lights is closer to 11 via the novalink in feel. I tried it a bunch of times to make sure that it wasn't just my mind, but even other drivers noticed a big difference.

Tomorrow I am going to try running closer to 7 for a FDR and see if I can't get the temps down. This seem a little high but others are running this with their mamba's and Tekins with full boost. I never liked pushing the motors this hard so I always run a little lower FDR and less boost because I like how that drives in the in field.
try setting the current limiter to 3. for me this has dropped my temps 15* or more on average with no loss of power. Are u running TC or offroad. In TC choose the custom Thr. curve default 2. min drive at 10 drag start at 6. this has helped keep my temps near 140* on hot days in Sac. Ca where our track temp is usually 120*+. it gives the car good snap as well. if you are running 17.5 i have a killer set up let me know i will post up
Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can't compare three different ESC's with the same settings and expect them to run the same. Regardless of how similar they are you should treat them all as completely different.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

the only thing that I notice that may make things hard is that the drag brakes according to the lights produce a ton more braking than say, when you program what should be the same value via the novalink. Not sure why this is but it seems that the values do not match.
I can't comment on how the lights/NovaLink compare, as I've only changed settings through the NovaLink thus far, but I did notice that all the values are double the braking that it would be on like a Tekin. 50 is max, but it's really like 100%, because on my Tekins I was always around 37-42% drag brake, and with my Kinetics I'm in the 18-20 range. I don't get why it's called percent, because 50 "%" on the NovaLink is really 100% of the total brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.