Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Does a 4.5 really need boost? I can't hardly control a 5.5 with my GTB. My Intimidator would do a blow over if I wicked the throttle to hard down the staits. Probably due to the wing angle I had to run trying to get the tires planted on the dirt and not spinning to wildly to fling from the rims.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is it smooth on MOD when you apply the throttle?

Originally Posted by nerdling
I've been running the Kinetic with a 4.5 Balistic since June with no problems. It's currently on v1.3 of the Firmware, it has an odd habit of 'poping' the revs at low revs this I'm told has been sorted in 1.4. I feel its a little more robust than the Tekin that I was running for a bit before it reported masive over heating.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThrottleKing
Does a 4.5 really need boost?
Really not Remember I'm using this in a TC. I don't run any boots and I normally don't use any timing advance, I tried 5deg timing and all I got was a heat build up.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Is it smooth on MOD when you apply the throttle?
Seems pretty good. I can compare it with a Tekin whick seemed a bit aggresive.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

What does the kinetic offer to motor classes that don't run boost? Would advance timing account for boost or is boost an element on its own? What degree is boost? full 55 deg?

Also I'm looking for a smooth racing 13.5 kinetic profile, the track is very tight and twisty. Any suggestions on where to start with using the Nova Link?

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
What does the kinetic offer to motor classes that don't run boost? Would advance timing account for boost or is boost an element on its own? What degree is boost? full 55 deg?

Also I'm looking for a smooth racing 13.5 kinetic profile, the track is very tight and twisty. Any suggestions on where to start with using the Nova Link?

Cheers.
Yes boost is full timing applied to the motor after a delay. With the kinetic that value is I believe 65 degrees. You can add timing up to 55 degrees via the rpm set points. For no timing classes the throttle frequency and minimum drive allow you to fine tune how the car feels around the track.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Cheers.
timing advance and boost are two different elements that work together in a sense...example:
timing set points are set at 5-15k with 50 deg.
boost delay set at 200ms(fyi boost is 60)
the speedo will apply 50 deg through the selected rpm range untill full throttle has been applied +delay. then the speedo changes the timing to 60deg total.
as far as settings go, is this for TC? i can help get you in the ball park but kinda need alittle more info....
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ed517
timing advance and boost are two different elements that work together in a sense...example:
timing set points are set at 5-15k with 50 deg.
boost delay set at 200ms(fyi boost is 60)
the speedo will apply 50 deg through the selected rpm range untill full throttle has been applied +delay. then the speedo changes the timing to 60deg total.
as far as settings go, is this for TC? i can help get you in the ball park but kinda need alittle more info....
Roar isn't gonna allow us to play together this season so I'm taking my football and going home....LOL I still have my HB and pray that club races keep 17.5 ramped classes as part of their program. I canceled my order for the TC6 and ordered the Losi 22. Good luck bro and see ya one of these days
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, so the only thing I can adjust is brake and throttle curves ect. I'm running TC.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Talking 1.4 Upgrade

Well that was as painful as ever!

I downloaded the Full 1.4 installer files and the outloada14.rdd file seperately (not sure why this is on a seperate page) and set about updating everything to 1.4 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

At first the updater program would not recognise the USB Novalink. No matter what I did it kept saying "not connected"

Eventually after unplugging and re-connecting the novalink about 15 times and running the updater again from the very beginning by unzipping the files it updated and the program said to unplug the novalink and reconnect it.

I did this and the PC detected new hardware, all good.

Next I installed the 1.4 software, all good. Plugged in the speed controller and got an error message as expected as the speedo is still on firmware 1.3. Okay, time to upgrade the firmware. I did this and I thought all was well until I tried to turn on the ESC. Completey dead, no lights, only fan.

I ran the firmware updater again 2 times - same thing

Eventually I installed everything on a Windows XP 32 bit machine and did exactly the same thing. SUCCESS!

I'm not sure if it was Window 7 or a 64 bit thing but since the beginning I've been using everything on Window 7 64 bit with no probs. The main thing is to always run everything as admin.

As an IT professional I'm used to working with complicated software and PC's and I must admit, for an average user this is an overly complicated and fussy proccess. Could it not be made more user friendly?

Fingers crossed I can now get back to racing instead of a busman's holiday as an IT GEEK!

On the positive the software looks very nice and is packed full of features, I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into the setup. I'm still getting to grips with a decent setup for my new Exotek HBX chassis but once that is sorted I can finally fine tune the speedo and get some records broken
Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cheers.
The Novak document on boosting methods indicates that the boost in 1S consists of ramping the voltage up to 6 volts. I can't tell you what happens with the advance, it's a question I've been wondering myself.

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/i...ng_methods.pdf
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GLOWHEAD
The Novak document on boosting methods indicates that the boost in 1S consists of ramping the voltage up to 6 volts. I can't tell you what happens with the advance, it's a question I've been wondering myself.

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/i...ng_methods.pdf
That is only the power, (the boost to 6 volts) going to the receiver, servo and transponder, NOT out to the motor. It is not ramped up to that voltage, rather it is converted in part of the circuitry within the esc. This is done so an external battery or external voltage booster is not needed.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Hi Guys,
So I've been back at Novak full time for a couple of weeks now and have sat down with the NovaLink and worked through some of the issues with a few customers over the phone, and via email. Looks like everything is working well, and we have posted a new NovaLink 1.4 Software, and a New Kinetic 1.4.1 firmware. These both seem to be sound and work well every time.

The main points folks have been missing are the basic window's updates. I actually go the microsoft website and run the update scan they have. This seems to have fixed most of the issues with any of the computers in house that would not run the update correctly. Most of the PC's I had problems with, were resolved after the system update and restart.
2nd issue, and its our own doing, the Firmware installation is a bit tricky. THe main thing is to simply drag and drop the RDD File if the self extractor does not to the trick.
Finally, make sure the USB device drivers on windows updates. This is done by the little balloons in the lower right hand. Make sure you get the balloon that states your new usb device is installed and ready to use.

Beyond those main topics, 1.4 has worked and worked well. Two basic scenarios happen when the install fails.

One, you'll get an ESC that shows no signs of life. The lights won't come on ever. These can usually be fixed by the latest 1.4 Novalink, and 1.4.1 firmware update.

Two, you'll get an ESC that only will flash all LED's 1 time and then be non responsive. These ESC's need to have the brain board replaced as something has been corrupted "somehow". I'm not 100% clear as to what is causing that particular issue, but I've seen it once or twice now and confirmed the issue via some returned ESCs.

SO, if you have any issues what so ever with Novalink, or the Kinetic Firmware process, Please email me directly, [email protected] and I'll do my best to trouble shoot your scenario and find the solution.
We all agree this process is a bit trickier then it needs to be for now, but we're working towards a more easy friendly process.

Download NovaLInk 1.4 Zip.
Open Drivers Folder, Run drivers file. This installs needed drivers.
Open the Install Folder, Run the Setup File, this will install NovaLink.

Download the Kinetic Firmware 1.4.1 Self Extractor. Run the Self Extractor File. It will "Unzip" the file to "C:\Program Files\Novak Electronics\NovaLink"
If the self extractor does not work, you can get the file alone and drag/drop into the same folder.

From Start/Programs/Novak Electronics run the Novalink Device Updater. Then make sure Windows says it's installed the drivers and ready to use. This happens when you first plug in the USB Device.

Now you're ready to update your ESC firmware.

Open NovaLink Program, and connect your ESC.

Click on the "Launch Firmware Updater" Icon that is on the top of the screen.

This opens a small window, click on the UPDATE button in the middle and let it run the updater.

When that is complete, click exit and unplug the ESC from the NovaLink.

Connect your ESC to a radio system and execute the "One Touch Setup".
Now, you're ready to use the NovaLink 1.4.

If you've already downloaded 1.4 previous to "today", uninstall, delete the Novak Electronics Folder, and re download and install the NovaLInk that was posted as of today.

Again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me with the issue you've encountered and the errors that report. [email protected]

1.4.1 should address operational gremlins in the ESC itself, and take care of the trick PC Interface issues as well.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 01-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default rpm values

Well I don't know what I did but the RPM values will not update. It was working before but now nothing. Everytime I change the value it goes back to the ones that I was running last weekend 6000-22000. I guess it is about time to send it in. This is the first time I have ever had a speed control fail. Well sort of fail. As it will still run.

And yes I have tried the lastest version posted today on the novak website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.