R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #1411
Tech Regular

does novak have a stator exchange program?
tofuburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #1412
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got my Kinetic 1S esc & Novalink. Is all I have to load is Update 1.4 or do I use the disk with the esc also. Anything else I should download from Novak.
Silva Concepts R50 Oval
Custom Works Dominator; FT TC3 Trans Am
t4mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #1413
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4mania View Post
Just got my Kinetic 1S esc & Novalink. Is all I have to load is Update 1.4 or do I use the disk with the esc also. Anything else I should download from Novak.
You just have to install the 1.4 Nova Link software on your computer, you do not have update your Kinetic it already has the 1.4 firmware loaded on it.
Adnan
Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #1414
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
For anyone with upgrade issues, contact [email protected] if you prefer that we exchange out your brain board. We have an exchange program; we send you the new BB with V1.4 loaded, you send us back your old one in a PP envelope
Sent you guys an email about this.

Thanks
SMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #1415
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuburger View Post
does novak have a stator exchange program?
No, we consider the Ballistic stators replacement/service items.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #1416
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleKing View Post
Nope. I have again uninstalled the 1.4 erased anything that had Novak connected to it in my pc and then reloaded without issue and then did the one touch set up then programmed the esc via the novalink just as I had it when it ran well with the 1.3 software and still no dynamic timing on either of my Kinetics. To get any kind of advance I have to turn on the boost setting and it still dogs until the delay goes off and it goes to full timing from 0 advance and it takes the entire 90' strait to get up to speed. My 1/12 and my WGT act the same way. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the 1.4 many times and I get the same results. I have followed every step and I can find no problems with my installation. I feel like an idiot but I had the 1.3 working fine for a few months now. I just can't explain what is happening. Idid notice a puff of smoke once when I was giving it some throttle and I hear something from the esc or cap that emitted a screech too. I would like to try the new brain boards with the 1.4 already installed on them as I have run out of options on my own. I would think if I was doing something wrong I wouldn't be able to get the 1.4 to load or even make adjustment to the esc using the 1.4 but everything else works with it but the Dynamic timing. It doesn't work at all. Novak Two please help if you can but I will for sure be calling CS tomorrow for some help because I nearly was to the point of snaping the GenX in two over my knee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
If you look at some of my previous posts, I keep mentioning the fact that once you flash the NL adapter to 1.4 you can't go back to 1.3, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it, but then again, I was more concerned with making everything 1.4 work together. I don't know if you change the drivers for 1.3 as suggested above will take you back to 1.3, but I'd give it a try, if your still having problems. Pretty sure the rest of your install for 1.3 is correct, its all in the link that your problem lies.
you can change ON YOUR PC from 1.4 back to 1.3, but once you have installed 1.4 on your esc, you can not go back to 1.4,

I believe that is what johnny is saying.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #1417
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have gotten the 1.4 to work flawlessly now. The version looks nice and seems to be more user friendly,but other than being able to adjust the timing curve it's pretty much the same as the 1.3 so it should work just as well. I made the mistake of running a 1300+ rotor in my 17.5 1/12 today and found that the 1 cell doesn't like those strong rotors. I ran half a second faster lap times with my 1290 rotor vs. the 1300+. That is just my evaluation for my 1/12. I would imagine it would be awesome in off road or touring car but not good for me in 1 cell. It caused the car to run 25*-30* hotter and it fell off quite a bit toward the end of the run. All settings and gearing for the car remained the same as well as ambient temp. Traction might have come up and been some of the cause but I have never noticed it before like this. This is my first high power rotor and I had no idea what to expect as I usually don't talk to other racers about anything other than compounds, springs and rear shocks. Playing with rotors is all new to me. From what I gathered after my experience, a low gauss rotor is what I would like in my 1/12 for single cell racing. Can someone elaborate on this for me?
Acts 2:21- And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Last edited by ThrottleKing; 01-17-2011 at 09:16 AM.
ThrottleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #1418
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Not asking for much

So far the 1.4 software has been good. Ran the kinetic in an SC truck indoors today. Worked well. Would it be too much to ask about getting a warning if you happen to have the battery plugged in.

Using the Duo3 17.5 the brakes are very weak. Not sure why but nothing I do will make them work better.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #1419
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleKing View Post
I have gotten the 1.4 to work flawlessly now. The version looks nice and seems to be more user friendly,but other than being able to adjust the timing curve it's pretty much the same as the 1.3 so it should work just as well. I made the mistake of running a 1300+ rotor in my 17.5 1/12 today and found that the 1 cell doesn't like those strong rotors. I ran half a second faster lap times with my 1290 rotor vs. the 1300+. That is just my evaluation for my 1/12. I would imagine it would be awesome in off road or touring car but not good for me in 1 cell. It caused the car to run 25*-30* hotter and it fell off quite a bit toward the end of the run. All settings and gearing for the car remained the same as well as ambient temp. Traction might have come up and been some of the cause but I have never noticed it before like this. This is my first high power rotor and I had no idea what to expect as I usually don't talk to other racers about anything other than compounds, springs and rear shocks. Playing with rotors is all new to me. From what I gathered after my experience, a low gauss rotor is what I would like in my 1/12 for single cell racing. Can someone elaborate on this for me?
On the timing curve you have to make sure you have more than 20* entered and then you have to hit the enter key on your computer to a next box and your timing curve adjustment window will pop up.

Power rotors and 1S don't mix.

In my testing, I'm glad to report that the default for 17.5/1S no longer locks up the speed control.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #1420
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
So far the 1.4 software has been good. Ran the kinetic in an SC truck indoors today. Worked well. Would it be too much to ask about getting a warning if you happen to have the battery plugged in.

Using the Duo3 17.5 the brakes are very weak. Not sure why but nothing I do will make them work better.
Did you try to adjust the dead band, this really woke the brakes up on my K1S? From having to run 30 I now went to 9 for brake settings and they seem strong. Unfortunately one of the by products of running big pinions in 17.5 is definitely weaker brakes.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #1421
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Did you try to adjust the dead band, this really woke the brakes up on my K1S? From having to run 30 I now went to 9 for brake settings and they seem strong. Unfortunately one of the by products of running big pinions in 17.5 is definitely weaker brakes.
Dead band is the lowest setting. Running a pretty small pinion as we are running inside on carpet. 23/86 on a xxxt. Drag brake @15%. When trying to stop wheels will not stop the truck. Brake works enough in the corners as long as you don't need to stop to avoid a collision.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #1422
Tech Elite

So I was at one of our bigger races this weekend, and was talking to one of the other team drivers for another brand of speed control. He was sent a new software package to try on the weekend, but was unable to get it all installed. Apparently he was having trouble finding the correct files to delete and drag the new ones into to make it work. LOL

So I guess its just not us (Novak) that use the same method to get things working.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #1423
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I probably know the brand your speaking of and learning which file to delete is the tricky part. (its usually just the .rdd file) I think learning that system is one reason I have so few problems with Novak.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #1424
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

How is the kinetic in MOD? And how is it compared to tekin RS in 17.5 boosted? I'm always a Novak guy but I went to the darkside "tekin" I wanted to switch back but a little hesitant due to all the problems that kinetic have right now.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #1425
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
How is the kinetic in MOD? And how is it compared to tekin RS in 17.5 boosted? I'm always a Novak guy but I went to the darkside "tekin" I wanted to switch back but a little hesitant due to all the problems that kinetic have right now.
I've been running the Kinetic with a 4.5 Balistic since June with no problems. It's currently on v1.3 of the Firmware, it has an odd habit of 'poping' the revs at low revs this I'm told has been sorted in 1.4. I feel its a little more robust than the Tekin that I was running for a bit before it reported masive over heating.