R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #1336
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
You may not know what you're doing. Call Novak CS on Monday.
What could I possibly be missing? The process isn't that complicating.
pmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #1337
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegiswa View Post
Thanks for the link to the firmware Adnan

Just pulled down the software and the firmware now - will be giving it a shot here shortly

Hey rcracenut, did you update your NovaLink with the device updater to work new 1.4 software/firmware?
Please give me a link to this. I tried doing the download off the Novak web site because I wanted it on my notebook as it will be at the track. Now I tried using the disc on my home (tower) computer and the instructions lead me to the point of double click the drivers folder" and I do it but nothing happens. This seems to be the most annoying software to get to work.
1 Corinthians 10:31 ...whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.
S&N Trackside Hobbies
Innovative Hobbies and Raceway
Clark RC race park
rcracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #1338
Tech Apprentice

Default Directed To Novak

Way to go Novak, you have got to be kidding me. I just bought a 32 bit netbook just to run this software, and two days later you come out with an update for 64 bit, after unequivocally stating that it won't run on 64? My 64 bit Vista laptop is over two years old. You know how many 64 bit machines are out there? Way to stay on the leading edge of the technology curve!

For the first time in the past nine days, since I have owned this speed control, I have 1.3 running without problems, sort of. HOO RAY! There are a list of do's and don'ts in operating the software though. I'm not updating to 1.4 till I see that it's running cleanly.

Took four days for Novak to return my tech call, and I wasn't home. Sent them an email describing my issues, and it's been three days and still no response. Not what I would describe as stellar customer support. This forum seems to be a better place to get their attention. Updates are supposed to be improvements, not a series of patches to fix what should have worked properly in the first place!

With this being my first foray into electric, I would qualify it as a less than rewarding experience. I pray for the father/son team, who's only experience with computers is to send email, to get this thing to work. Way to over complicate such a simple task. We should be encouraging involvement in the hobby, not putting up roadblocks. Get your game together!

Now that I have that off my chest, I really have no issue with the hardware, quality IS top notch. That is what sold me on Novak. The RS looked cheap. These software issues are quite amateurish though, and I'm sure this forum is nothing but bad press. Next time, finish the R&D before you release the product to market. Three updates in as many months? Come on!

I would make the same purchase again, I just wish the software had lived up to Novak's reputation. I'm sure these issues will be resolved, and I hope that 1.4 will be the last fix, at least for a while, 'cause I'd rather be racing.
GLOWHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #1339
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOWHEAD View Post
Way to go Novak, you have got to be kidding me. I just bought a 32 bit netbook just to run this software, and two days later you come out with an update for 64 bit, after unequivocally stating that it won't run on 64? My 64 bit Vista laptop is over two years old. You know how many 64 bit machines are out there? Way to stay on the leading edge of the technology curve!

For the first time in the past nine days, since I have owned this speed control, I have 1.3 running without problems, sort of. HOO RAY! There are a list of do's and don'ts in operating the software though. I'm not updating to 1.4 till I see that it's running cleanly.

Took four days for Novak to return my tech call, and I wasn't home. Sent them an email describing my issues, and it's been three days and still no response. Not what I would describe as stellar customer support. This forum seems to be a better place to get their attention. Updates are supposed to be improvements, not a series of patches to fix what should have worked properly in the first place!

With this being my first foray into electric, I would qualify it as a less than rewarding experience. I pray for the father/son team, who's only experience with computers is to send email, to get this thing to work. Way to over complicate such a simple task. We should be encouraging involvement in the hobby, not putting up roadblocks. Get your game together!

Now that I have that off my chest, I really have no issue with the hardware, quality IS top notch. That is what sold me on Novak. The RS looked cheap. These software issues are quite amateurish though, and I'm sure this forum is nothing but bad press. Next time, finish the R&D before you release the product to market. Three updates in as many months? Come on!

I would make the same purchase again, I just wish the software had lived up to Novak's reputation. I'm sure these issues will be resolved, and I hope that 1.4 will be the last fix, at least for a while, 'cause I'd rather be racing.
There is no difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit compatible Nova Link software as far as any functionally or performance is concerned, we have spent a fair amount of time testing the 1.4 version on 64 bit Window 7 machines.

The program I used to develop the Kinetic firmware has been out for many years and itís constantly updated and yet itís not supported on 64 bit machines! As a matter of fact most of the engineering software we use for development work do not have full release 64-bit versions. It takes a lot of engineering and resources to use the added performance of 64-bit operating system.

Novak Link is a very complicated PC software that involve USB driver and graphical interface and The Kinetic ESC firmware is a real time embedded software that operates at a very high speed to meet the demanding requirement of RC racing, we follow good engineering practices but its down right impossible to get all the bugs identified and fixed on the first release, when was the last time you bought software from anyone including major software companies that did not require updates. Software updates will always be required to address continuously changing environment.

We are very prod of our after sales service, and we take pride in providing the best customer service in the industry, we have several people working in our customer service department that are available to help you resolve issue with any of our products.

Adnan
Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #1340
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have gotten it to work for me but one issue that I have stated before time and time again is the Timing RPM set point and Max timing RPM set point. The Novalink still will not let you set it below 2000RPM and the dialog to the right says that you can set it as low as 1150 but you can not and now the max will not let you go below 5500 and before at least it was 4500. I have been very competitive with the v1.3 but I would do better against the other cars if I could get to at least 1150rpm timing set point. The guys here that run the Tekin's are starting their at 750-850 RPMs and they get a jump on me for about 1/3 the way down the straits causing me to really run it hard in the corner and preying I have the preferred line so we don't stack them up at mid corner. Both my WGT 13.5 and 1/12 17.5 exhibit the same thing and both are using Ballistic motors.

Please if possible make an adjustment to allow for a lower Timing RPM set point at least like the 1150 that the dialog claims and let the max timing set point go back to 4500 or maybe 4000 rpms.
Acts 2:21- And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
ThrottleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #1341
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by escman View Post
Kinetic 1.4 Firmware is available on our website:
http://www.teamnovak.com/download/NovaLink/index.html

Adnan
Hi Adnan,

I just attempted the Kinetic 1.4 Firmware update on my Kinetic 2S, unfortunately it appears to have killed my Kinetic

I started by updating the Novalink USB module first and I got all the correct messages from the NovalinkDeviceUpdater, after disconnecting and reconnecting the Novalink USB module the drivers re-installed and I got the "your device is ready for use" message from Windows.

I copied the outloada14.rdd firmware file into the directory, then opened the Novalink software and launched the firmware updater.I unplugged the esc fan and connected the Kinetic to the Novalink USB module at which point the updater connected to the Kinetic and started the update. The update got to 57% and the LED's on the Kinetic all went out and I waited around 5 minutes for something to happen, all that's happening on the LED's when I connect the Kinetic to the Novalink USB module now is very dim flashing on the LED closest to the sensor port.

What has happened to the Kinetic and why has it happened ?

Regards
Shaun

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #1342
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitee View Post
Hi Adnan,

I just attempted the Kinetic 1.4 Firmware update on my Kinetic 2S, unfortunately it appears to have killed my Kinetic

I started by updating the Novalink USB module first and I got all the correct messages from the NovalinkDeviceUpdater, after disconnecting and reconnecting the Novalink USB module the drivers re-installed and I got the "your device is ready for use" message from Windows.

I copied the outloada14.rdd firmware file into the directory, then opened the Novalink software and launched the firmware updater.I unplugged the esc fan and connected the Kinetic to the Novalink USB module at which point the updater connected to the Kinetic and started the update. The update got to 57% and the LED's on the Kinetic all went out and I waited around 5 minutes for something to happen, all that's happening on the LED's when I connect the Kinetic to the Novalink USB module now is very dim flashing on the LED closest to the sensor port.

Regards
Shaun
Try to update the firmware one more time. It seems the communication was lost between the esc and the PC at 57% update process, if you get the same result email us at [email protected]
We will arrange to get your brain board replaced.
Adnan
Adnan
Old 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #1343
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitee View Post
Hi Adnan,

Regards
Shaun
I would just plug the thing in again. There is no reason after the update to plug and un plug the controller. The USB dongle will now cycle the power for you. Makes everything easier. When I updated mine there where no lights on the controller. So I would try again to update the firmware. You can do it as many times as you like. I have had 1.3 loaded and reloaded about 12 times. 1.4 worked the first time for me.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #1344
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default pm

you got pm sir! thanks
Quote:
Try to update the firmware one more time. It seems the communication was lost between the esc and the PC at 57% update process, if you get the same result email us at [email protected]
We will arrange to get your brain board replaced.
Adnan
Adnan
bvalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #1345
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleKing View Post
I have gotten it to work for me but one issue that I have stated before time and time again is the Timing RPM set point and Max timing RPM set point. The Novalink still will not let you set it below 2000RPM and the dialog to the right says that you can set it as low as 1150 but you can not and now the max will not let you go below 5500 and before at least it was 4500. I have been very competitive with the v1.3 but I would do better against the other cars if I could get to at least 1150rpm timing set point. The guys here that run the Tekin's are starting their at 750-850 RPMs and they get a jump on me for about 1/3 the way down the straits causing me to really run it hard in the corner and preying I have the preferred line so we don't stack them up at mid corner. Both my WGT 13.5 and 1/12 17.5 exhibit the same thing and both are using Ballistic motors.

Please if possible make an adjustment to allow for a lower Timing RPM set point at least like the 1150 that the dialog claims and let the max timing set point go back to 4500 or maybe 4000 rpms.
Why in 1S racing do you need the RPM set points so close. I kind of understand in oval as that is what they do, but 1S road racing seems like you would want a smoother power on. I guess my point is why even having dynamic timing if all you want is to have it all come on at once. Another suggestion as you can do this with the kenetic and you can't with the tekin is set the boost to the lowest delay possible and then the RPM levels wouldn't matter as much.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #1346
Tech Addict

Default Success

Yes! I don't know what's wrong with the computer at my LHS, but I brought my car home and hooked 'er up to my Linux desktop running XP in VirtualBox and NovaLink 1.4 is working!

Now I just have to figure out why the computer at my LHS won't work. NovaLink 1.3 was working on their computer so there should be a way to get NovaLink 1.4 working. Any ideas?
pmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #1347
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
There is no difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit compatible Nova Link software as far as any functionally or performance is concerned, we have spent a fair amount of time testing the 1.4 version on 64 bit Window 7 machines.

The program I used to develop the Kinetic firmware has been out for many years and itís constantly updated and yet itís not supported on 64 bit machines! As a matter of fact most of the engineering software we use for development work do not have full release 64-bit versions. It takes a lot of engineering and resources to use the added performance of 64-bit operating system.

Novak Link is a very complicated PC software that involve USB driver and graphical interface and The Kinetic ESC firmware is a real time embedded software that operates at a very high speed to meet the demanding requirement of RC racing, we follow good engineering practices but its down right impossible to get all the bugs identified and fixed on the first release, when was the last time you bought software from anyone including major software companies that did not require updates. Software updates will always be required to address continuously changing environment.

We are very prod of our after sales service, and we take pride in providing the best customer service in the industry, we have several people working in our customer service department that are available to help you resolve issue with any of our products.

Adnan
Good work!! 1.4 works great. I feel bad for you though having to deal with so many people that seem to be behind the 8 ball when it comes to computers.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #1348
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOWHEAD View Post

I know for a fact there are several postings on this thread saying it DOES IN FACT WORK ON 64 BIT. what novak said is it is NOT SUPPORTED by 64 bit. and like many of us have found out, ( like me, running it on windows 7 64 bit with no issues, ) is it works even thou its not "supported"

I called novak last week with a question, they called back within the hour. So me, the customer service was great.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #1349
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
I know for a fact there are several postings on this thread saying it DOES IN FACT WORK ON 64 BIT. what novak said is it is NOT SUPPORTED by 64 bit. and like many of us have found out, ( like me, running it on windows 7 64 bit with no issues, ) is it works even thou its not "supported"

I called novak last week with a question, they called back within the hour. So me, the customer service was great.
Thank you very much.
We will be supporting rev 1.4 on the Window 64-bit!
Adnan
Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1350
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
Good work!! 1.4 works great. I feel bad for you though having to deal with so many people that seem to be behind the 8 ball when it comes to computers.
LOL. Yes some of it is that definitely. However the rest of us have a pretty good understanding and they just forgot to put the firmware up on the site. Getting it to work was no trouble at all. I am still a little confused as to why I don't seem to be able to use the timing curve adjustment, but I sure that it is just a bug. As it is a totally new feature.

There is no question that it is hard to develop and implement this kind of technology. And if you want to stay ahead of the game updates are going to be coming every couple of months. The only thing that would be nice to see is if they could get the update process smooth. Downloading and moving files around is a little 2001ish . I have no doubt that it is in the road map.