R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #1141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
has anyone been able to get the kinetic one cell to work reliably? Mine was working OK, then started cutting the motor off every lap or so. Steering still has full power. I have tried turning off the LVC, no help. So far I have heard of several others with the same issue on both V1.3 and 1.3 fix.

I am running V1.3, 30 to 45 deg of timing, 2K start, 6 to 7k end.
Just wondering if you're using a on board rcvr pack?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #1142
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Just wondering if you're using a on board rcvr pack?
A guy at my track has a problem like this sometimes and he uses a life rcvr pack. He says he checked the pack and it was fully charged.
pmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #1143
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to slotracer577

I am using a 2S lipo pack for the RX. Fully charged. Was working well then started cutting out. All of the other oval racer that I have heard of using a kinetic have the same issue. Much like the Smart boost issue with V203+ on a tekin.

Has anyone had a 1cell work well? If so what settings did you use?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #1144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been using a lipo RX pack and the 1S esc in my World GT car. I've only used the timing level and boost with the lights.Everything works fine.Maybe your rx pack is bad. I've replaced mine.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #1145
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am using a 2S lipo pack for the RX. Fully charged. Was working well then started cutting out. All of the other oval racer that I have heard of using a kinetic have the same issue. Much like the Smart boost issue with V203+ on a tekin.

How is the ESC temp when this begins to happen? If its operating at a safe temp range try to turn off the "esc temp protection option" off and give it at try, BUT do periodic temp checks on the speed control and motor. I don't have one to try this on so I can't try this out myself.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #1146
Tech Adept

Considering I only make it a lap or two before it starts cutting out, I dont think it is a heat issue. The esc used to run a 5 min race with the same gearing and timing no problem. I have tried turning off the LVC as I assume that is the issue. ESC thinks the voltage is too low and shuts off. I really wish Novak would remove the LVC. As a racer I have never needed one and it only causes issues when it kicks in.
May try it out again saturday night. Just dont trust it to race.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #1147
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:

I've used it with and without boost, without boost, pretty much just the default setting, with boost, 45 boost, 200, 2800 rpm don't remember the end rpm but it was pretty high 12 -15k
Old 11-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #1148
Tech Elite

Quote:
Considering I only make it a lap or two before it starts cutting out, I dont think it is a heat issue. The esc used to run a 5 min race with the same gearing and timing no problem. I have tried turning off the LVC as I assume that is the issue. ESC thinks the voltage is too low and shuts off. I really wish Novak would remove the LVC. As a racer I have never needed one and it only causes issues when it kicks in.
May try it out again saturday night. Just dont trust it to race.
Was that before you downloaded the 1.3 fix, if you did? Software does funny things sometimes. I only suggest that you try to turn off the "temp protection" because another speed control I played around with (different brand) had a similar issue, and turned out to be a bug with the temp protection, nothing to do with the felt sympton but, a glitch in the software of some sort. When that option was turned off everything started to work much better.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #1149
Tech Adept

I think I figured it out. Timing board on the motor is going (I think). Ran the same motor with a GTB2 and had the same issue. Changed motors and problem went away. Changed a lot first, but motor was the thing that fixed it. Need to run the new motor on the kinetic to verify, but the symptoms were the same on the GTB as the kinetic.
Seems the esc has to have timing signal or it doesnt work. Ran the same motor on a tekin and ran fine.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #1150
Tech Adept

Quote:
I think I figured it out. Timing board on the motor is going (I think). Ran the same motor with a GTB2 and had the same issue. Changed motors and problem went away. Changed a lot first, but motor was the thing that fixed it. Need to run the new motor on the kinetic to verify, but the symptoms were the same on the GTB as the kinetic.
Seems the esc has to have timing signal or it doesnt work. Ran the same motor on a tekin and ran fine.
this is due to the fact the Kinetic only works as a sensored based speedo. Some others have a sensorless mode. But with todays motors it is obsolete to opperate in this setting. Especially for racing purposes but thats what the Kinetic was designed for. Racing....
ed517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #1151
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed517 View Post
this is due to the fact the Kinetic only works as a sensored based speedo. Some others have a sensorless mode. But with todays motors it is obsolete to opperate in this setting. Especially for racing purposes but thats what the Kinetic was designed for. Racing....
You are correct, but the competition, Mamba and Tekin will work on both which allows you to finish a race if say your sensor wire comes loose or if you have a sensor going bad in the motor like I do. with Novak its gave over, not the best choice in my opinion. Would be nice to have the system be able to continue at least for a short time without a signal. On our track the kinetic takes about a straight to reaquire signal, way too long for me in the middle of a race. My tekins runs the motor in question with no issues.
Sensored is required by the rules, doesnt make it the best way to do it, just the required way.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #1152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
You are correct, but the competition, Mamba and Tekin will work on both which allows you to finish a race if say your sensor wire comes loose or if you have a sensor going bad in the motor like I do. with Novak its gave over, not the best choice in my opinion. Would be nice to have the system be able to continue at least for a short time without a signal. On our track the kinetic takes about a straight to reaquire signal, way too long for me in the middle of a race. My tekins runs the motor in question with no issues.
Sensored is required by the rules, doesnt make it the best way to do it, just the required way.
But if you run boosted stock, your gonna be SOL no matter what speedo you have if you loose your sensor wire.