R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #1021
am
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
the 1s will not turn out without a rcvr pack. size of esc is listed on www.teamnovak.com

Thanks, but only the footprint is listed on the Novak site, not the hight :-)

I find the Novak site confusing abaout the reciver pack, as it states the Kinetic has 6V bec and three amps.
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #1022
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
Well I was way under geared. The top guys running in the spec class were 3.2 FDR.

FYI the Novak has way more rip than the Tekin in spec mode. Top speed is about the same but novak was pulling way harder out of the corners. And it was easier to drive.
3.2??? WoW.....I have tried the Kinetic in Spec Sedan and around my area we are all geared about 3.8 to 4.0. I was at a 3.86 with roughly 42 degrees timing on a Ballistic motor.
Normally I run the Tekin but that was pre 212 software and we were at a 3.98. With the 212 software I am guessing it will be the same ratio as the Novak is.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #1023
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by am View Post
Thanks, but only the footprint is listed on the Novak site, not the hight :-)

I find the Novak site confusing abaout the reciver pack, as it states the Kinetic has 6V bec and three amps.
The receiver pack is required to power your servos and receiver if they were not designed to operate on low voltage. All Novak escs are designed to operate on low voltage--1S or 4 NiMh--but your other electronics may not.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #1024
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson View Post
3.2??? WoW.....I have tried the Kinetic in Spec Sedan and around my area we are all geared about 3.8 to 4.0. I was at a 3.86 with roughly 42 degrees timing on a Ballistic motor.
Normally I run the Tekin but that was pre 212 software and we were at a 3.98. With the 212 software I am guessing it will be the same ratio as the Novak is.
Well, I kept trying to get the motor temp down. So I was raising the FDR which was just making me slower. Then just for fun I put the Tekin 212 back in with the same FDR and the car had no rip, so the endbell timing probably needed to be turned down. Haven't really had a chance to do other back to back comparisons. But so far other than the motor temp being a little higher with the kinetic, everything else is better. I just wish it was a little smaller.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #1025
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
The receiver pack is required to power your servos and receiver if they were not designed to operate on low voltage. All Novak escs are designed to operate on low voltage--1S or 4 NiMh--but your other electronics may not.
if i plug just the 1s main battery in, and turn it on, it won't turn even turn on, when i plug in the rcvr pack it turns on, it will also turn on with the rcvr pack plugged in and the 1s unplugged, guess i got a goofy one.

however it works just fine and I kinda like that it won't turn on without the rcvr pack cause then, i won't forget to plug it in before a race.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #1026
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Why oh why on earth couldn't the Kinetic have "Smart Boost Circuitry" in it like you managed to do with the Havoc 1s. It would be one thing if the Kinetic were significantly smaller than the Havoc, but the difference in footprint is measured in hundredths of an inch.

I spent last season getting blown away by the Tekin onslaught but I held out KNOWING that when the Kinetic finally broke out it would be the controller to have. This was, of course, based on a flawed assumption that Novak would make a PROPER 1s esc based on that capability being in the Havoc. For the RS and others I can cut 'em some slack...no one was racing 1s when they came out. Folks really weren't even talking about it. But you guys had PLENTY of time to get this handled. Guess you have too many of those ENORMOUS boosters (with the obnoxiously bright blue LEDs) to get sold off.

WHY???!!!

I guess I stay with the "spec" class and stay with my BMCs. Won't buy a Tekin, too disappointed in the Kinetic to spend my money on that either. Someone will get it right eventually...

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #1027
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To the guy above- those Novak boosters would not work on my Tekins RS or kinetic. There was a fix to have it work with the tekin RS and adding a trans cap replacing the littlecap that came with the tekin. . While the kinetic works fine with a reciever pack. And I race WGT.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #1028
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I guess I stay with the "spec" class and stay with my BMCs. Won't buy a Tekin, too disappointed in the Kinetic to spend my money on that either. Someone will get it right eventually...
Only Problem is with ROAR's ever highly intelligent guidance, the necessity now to finish developing the Kinetic is non-existent. If they don't have to chase down Tekin, why even try? Why run the Dynamic System for a whole year, then roll back the clock? There are a lot of other companies that are in the game. Something's fishy here, Novak have some political pull even though they weren't able to compete on the track? Ahh the beauty of stagnation, great. Thanks Novak and ROAR. Think of all the cash that was wasted by all these other companies and a mass of racers purchasing products for "Dynamic" Racing. Glad the dues paying members come into consideration. Lets remodel every class with a mind toward the beginner that may show up. Make sure and go much slower so we don't offend anyone. This is no-child-left-behind meets RC racing. Fun Stuff.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #1029
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

yikes
xtraman122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #1030
Tech Adept

double yikes
Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #1031
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRacing View Post
Only Problem is with ROAR's ever highly intelligent guidance, the necessity now to finish developing the Kinetic is non-existent. If they don't have to chase down Tekin, why even try? Why run the Dynamic System for a whole year, then roll back the clock? There are a lot of other companies that are in the game. Something's fishy here, Novak have some political pull even though they weren't able to compete on the track? Ahh the beauty of stagnation, great. Thanks Novak and ROAR. Think of all the cash that was wasted by all these other companies and a mass of racers purchasing products for "Dynamic" Racing. Glad the dues paying members come into consideration. Lets remodel every class with a mind toward the beginner that may show up. Make sure and go much slower so we don't offend anyone. This is no-child-left-behind meets RC racing. Fun Stuff.
What are you talking about?

This is unintelligible....

Are you objecting to ROAR's Sportsman rules? For non-timing spec racing?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #1032
Tech Adept

Unintelligible is 1) the development process of the Kinetic, 2) ROAR's spec esc rules and how they coincide with one another. See Scottrik's post above.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #1033
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Why oh why on earth couldn't the Kinetic have "Smart Boost Circuitry" in it like you managed to do with the Havoc 1s. It would be one thing if the Kinetic were significantly smaller than the Havoc, but the difference in footprint is measured in hundredths of an inch.

I spent last season getting blown away by the Tekin onslaught but I held out KNOWING that when the Kinetic finally broke out it would be the controller to have. This was, of course, based on a flawed assumption that Novak would make a PROPER 1s esc based on that capability being in the Havoc. For the RS and others I can cut 'em some slack...no one was racing 1s when they came out. Folks really weren't even talking about it. But you guys had PLENTY of time to get this handled. Guess you have too many of those ENORMOUS boosters (with the obnoxiously bright blue LEDs) to get sold off.

WHY???!!!

Our racing Kinetic 1S was designed and harnessed for use with an external rx pack (all of our escs work fine on low voltage). This (ext rx pack) is considered the best option for serious single cell racing. External (or internal) booster circuitry necessary to power the other electronics that do not operate on low voltage---high-power servos and receivers---are often not adequate. That's why we support the external rx pack.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #1034
Company Representative

Quote:
Unintelligible is 1) the development process of the Kinetic, 2) ROAR's spec esc rules and how they coincide with one another. See Scottrik's post above.
What does his comment have to do with ROAR's rules?

What does any of this have to do with the "development" process of our Kinetic?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #1035
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm trying really hard to understand this post. I have the new esc and its every bit as fast as the tekin and speedpassion. I have yet to run the others so I won't be so bold as to include them. If your unhappy with no timing classes shouldn't your post be directed at your tracks management as they have control over what classes you run. Not Roar. And certainly not Novak.