R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #991
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
It's 35,000, just read it from the mouseover descriptions.

Next question: What is "the maximum possible motor timing advancement at full throttle"? I'm looking for a timing value here, along with a "ramp" or "feed" value to get an idea of how quickly timing is added at full throttle.
55*max timing, ramp rate is min rate 100ms to max 500 ms.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #992
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Thanks, Skypilot. It's not on a laptop unfortunately. BUT, maybe you could just do the magic trick on Sunday with yours?
DIALED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #993
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIALED View Post
So, just got off the phone w/Novak Technical Support, and STILL have a problem they could not address (but they are still working on it).
They suggested coming on here and seeing if anyone else had (or knew how to fix) this problem.

My novalink software updater does not work. Every time I click the updater icon from the novalink screen, a small dialog box blinks once extremely quick (like less than a second) and goes away. The guy at Novak said, "It's acting like there's a phantom folder somewhere."
That's it.

Any ideas?
I think it may be a quick flash of your security setting, at least thats what it looks like on mine, but its so fast i can't read it. If thats the case you'll probably have to go into your security settings and change your level of security to allow the updater to work. Hope that helps.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #994
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
55*max timing, ramp rate is min rate 100ms to max 500 ms.
Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #995
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What do you have connected to the speedo when you are trying to update.

I've found that some I've tried to update would not update with the switch connected.

MiCk B. :-)

Quote:
So, just got off the phone w/Novak Technical Support, and STILL have a problem they could not address (but they are still working on it).
They suggested coming on here and seeing if anyone else had (or knew how to fix) this problem.

My novalink software updater does not work. Every time I click the updater icon from the novalink screen, a small dialog box blinks once extremely quick (like less than a second) and goes away. The guy at Novak said, "It's acting like there's a phantom folder somewhere."
That's it.

Any ideas?

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk

http://www.msdmodels.ie
MiCk B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #996
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dialed:

I had the same problem.
This what you need to do.

Step 1.
Make sure you logged in as the administrator. (because if your not, the zip updater file will not unzip)

Step 2.
Once you are logged in as admin, download the updater again into the correct novalink folder. Then find the folder and unzip.

and thats it. Once you start the Nova Link Software and click the Updater icon, it will now find the updates and load correctly.

Another tip: when you connect the Nova Link cord to your ESC wire, make sure all 3 prongs get hooked in at the same time...if they dont the Nova Link software wont load.

Cheers.
5tylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #997
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Yesterday was my official first race. I ran my TRF416 WE with the Kinetic 17.5 in a GT10 class.

As I mentioned before this is my first ESC with timing advance and boost.

My settings were:

Ballistic 17.5
RPM Range 5500-14000
Applied Timing 30'
Boost On @ 300ms
Final Drive 6.3

The ESC was smooth as silk, as for my ability to drive it still sand paper of very rough grit lol. By the end of the day, I learned to brake sooner for the turns.

I noticed coming out of turns response was not as crisp. If I wanted to increase the immediate response of the motor, would I adjust the minimum drive or drive frequency?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #998
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Yesterday was my official first race. I ran my TRF416 WE with the Kinetic 17.5 in a GT10 class.

My settings were:

Ballistic 17.5
RPM Range 5500-14000
Applied Timing 30'
Boost On @ 300ms
Final Drive 6.3

The ESC was smooth as silk, as for my ability to drive it still sand paper of very rough grit lol. By the end of the day, I learned to brake sooner for the turns.

I noticed coming out of turns response was not as crisp. If I wanted to increase the immediate response of the motor, would I adjust the minimum drive or drive frequency?
yes for more "punch" decrease the minimum drive Freq.

I might also lower the FDR to closer to 5. This will give the car a different feel, but will be faster, and the motor should have more than enough torque to pull you out of the corners hard.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #999
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post

My settings were:

Ballistic 17.5
RPM Range 5500-14000
Applied Timing 30'
Boost On @ 300ms
Final Drive 6.3

Try adjusting your "minimum drive" setting try a 2% or 3%. Drive frequency usually works best at the default settings, you can try it, but the min drive will punch it up out of the corners.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #1000
Tech Adept

My current settings for a GM 10.5 outdoors are:

FDR 7.04
Timing 50
Start RPM 7500
End RPM 25000
Boost OFF

Would I need to change anything for indoor on carpet? I'd normally gear down when going indoors from outdoors. What FDR are people using on carpet with the kinetic?
dvaid852456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #1001
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help on getting the speedo updated guys!

Any suggestions on a starting point (w/dynamic t advance and boost--or no)
for carpet using a 7.5 on a med size track w/med to high bite. I did run this motor last week with no timing (esc or motor) w/a 7.86 final.

Thanks!
DIALED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #1002
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaid852456 View Post
My current settings for a GM 10.5 outdoors are:

FDR 7.04
Timing 50
Start RPM 7500
End RPM 25000
Boost OFF

Would I need to change anything for indoor on carpet? I'd normally gear down when going indoors from outdoors. What FDR are people using on carpet with the kinetic?
Ballpark FDR 6.5 so the 7.04 should not be a problem, but watch your temps after 3 minutes. It really depends on how small the track is, 10.5 on a small track with boost is not the fast way around, in most cases, lap times will suffer going to the boost, as over shooting the corners starts to hurt the times. I'd play with the throttle curve and the min drive to get out of the corners and to get the car to "feel" controlled. You could also adjust the start and end RPM as they could be a little on the high side, but again, this depends on the length of main straight and whats at the end of it, like a hair pin versus a sweeper. (Don't use the default settings for the start and end RPMs, they are wrong)

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 10-19-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #1003
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for all the help on getting the speedo updated guys!

Any suggestions on a starting point (w/dynamic t advance and boost--or no)
for carpet using a 7.5 on a med size track w/med to high bite. I did run this motor last week with no timing (esc or motor) w/a 7.86 final.

Thanks!
In your case I would try the default settings for the 7.5/2s and tune from there. Start FDR of around 8.5, again watch temps after 3 minutes, with what you ran if temp is ok stay with that. Leave the motor timing at 0. See the above post as some of that will be similar to your situation as well. That boost can be fun on the straight but eat time on corners. Like I said try the defaults and if your going to try the boost, creep up on the dynamic advance, maybe start at 25 and then increment by 5 trying to get the right feel without the overshoot on the corners, (this can be a product of the motor starting to accelerate right when your wanting to start the braking). Also set the boost delay to 400 and then start to decrease as you find the exit off corners speed you like that still makes the car controlable.

One thing you guys should keep in mind is that your tuning the speed control so it almost feels slow but very smooth, which will give better more consistant lap times. You can make it so its like a scalded dog out of the corners but if you can't drive it that way it does you no good, lap time wise.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #1004
Tech Initiate

Please recomendate setup for HB TCX/Kinetic/lrp x12 17.5. FDR,boost and others.
cailas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #1005
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailas View Post
Please recomendate setup for HB TCX/Kinetic/lrp x12 17.5. FDR,boost and others.
Need a little more info first. Track size, traction level, carpet or asphalt?