R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #946
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraman122 View Post
You can certainly use the amperage limiter to kill the low end and put some timing in to raise the top end, but it's going to be tough to safely run a 1/10 4wd with that much power and that much traction.
Thanks again, I can accept the issues with the drive train, its a matter of best fit for us as to why we have chosen a 1/10 scale 4wd offroad as our thrasher of choice, it really fits our needs for a fairly durable platform that can handle less than desirable surface conditions with valor.

We accept the gear sets go out with the kind of surface grip and torment that we give them, was just checking that maybe someone somewhere might have a more suitable upgraded set of bevels for this car that would perhaps deliver a bit more durability than the plastic counterparts.

I understand this is the manufacturers POV, but I have read that it is recommended not to advance the timing for the 3.5-5.5 motors, is this true or universally accepted?

Is this correct, and as obvious as it might seem what are the specific reasons why, and would it be advisable to advance timing if one were to take these conditions into consideration and work around the barriers avoiding the pitfalls that would otherwise cause issues?
rotarypower101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #947
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I think that between what your thinking of doing and playing with the throttle curve you should be able to take some of the harshness out of the bottom end and still have big top end. Play with the minimum drive setting as well.

There are a couple of things that I feel made Novak the less than desired speed control. First the actual size of the GTB put a lot of people off, enough so, that many would have prefered to give up durability and great product support over size and weight. Secondly, the power capacitor although critical has always put some people off, such as where to mount it. Now with a reduced size capacitor circuit available and the introduction of the Kinetic in either 1S or 2S, both issues have been addressed, and with the programability option you now have a speed control that rivals all others out there. The Kinetic is as someone else stated, the best of both worlds, very smooth through the entire power band and yet has the capability to have termendous top end and acceleration. Along with this a user interface that has a lot of info, but stated in a easier way to understand just makes it a good choice.
Thanks you for your synopsis, I just dont get around the RC world like I used to, so I am lacking the experience and inside info that I once used to take for granted...

Thanks for your time and opinion on the matter.

Are there any very informative reviews and comparisons on the Kinetic VS other top controllers out right now?
I mean I have already made up my mind, but I would love to reinforce my decition and try not to be so one sided, nice to know the pros and cons if possible.

Thanks Guys!
rotarypower101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #948
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarypower101 View Post
I understand this is the manufacturers POV, but I have read that it is recommended not to advance the timing for the 3.5-5.5 motors, is this true or universally accepted?
If your bashing I would not use the timing advance feature... but... I ran a 4.5 Balistic in an XRAY T3 (on carpet with foams) with dynamic timing and the results were... balistac

Nothing over heated. I was geared for about 20mm roll out, the ESC was lighting the orange light we temp checked and the motor was around 65/70 degC.

The setup was zero timing on the can with 10 applied via the ESC with a rev range of 2k to 15k.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #949
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarypower101 View Post
Thanks you for your synopsis, I just dont get around the RC world like I used to, so I am lacking the experience and inside info that I once used to take for granted...

Thanks for your time and opinion on the matter.

Are there any very informative reviews and comparisons on the Kinetic VS other top controllers out right now?
I mean I have already made up my mind, but I would love to reinforce my decition and try not to be so one sided, nice to know the pros and cons if possible.

Thanks Guys!
I don't remember seeing a all out shoot out for speed controls, but I seem to have amassed several over the last while. Now the Novak might not have been the first kid on the block with the newest current trend, but I'm pretty sure they've looked at all the high end, high technology models out there and seem to have come up with a very nicely developed unit that has taken the best of all out there.

The mod motors tend to be set for the best all around performance, but I have heard of some of the TC racers running a mod motor set at 0 and then applying boost, and then some are keeping the specified setting and adjusting gearing. I guess the trick is that with the speed controls now you can boost, current limit etc and get a low turn motor very fast and avoid the heat issues of straight gearing for performance.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #950
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 1.3 Firmware help!

Hey Guys Im having 1.3 firmware update problems.
I've followed the instructions to a T:
installed the novalink 1.3, and downloaded firmware 1.3 and installed it in the correct folder.

When lauching Novalink and clicking on the update firmware icon, the progress popup flashes for a second then disappears.

What am I doing wrong?
Im using windows 7 starter on my netbook.
5tylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #951
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

It has to do with how you plug the speedo in, to start, it has to be unplugged when you launch the updater, if you weren't doing that before, start there. Then if it's closing on you when you try to plug it in, try starting with one edge of the connector or the other, it had to do with one pin connecting before another and it could cause the update to close.
xtraman122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #952
Tech Adept

Quote:
It has to do with how you plug the speedo in, to start, it has to be unplugged when you launch the updater, if you weren't doing that before, start there. Then if it's closing on you when you try to plug it in, try starting with one edge of the connector or the other, it had to do with one pin connecting before another and it could cause the update to close.
The speedo isn't plugged in either, when the updater pop-up dissapears.
Is it maybe beause I didn't bother installing 1.1, and went straight to 1.3 on both novalink and speedo firmware?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #953
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tylez View Post
The speedo isn't plugged in either, when the updater pop-up dissapears.
Is it maybe beause I didn't bother installing 1.1, and went straight to 1.3 on both novalink and speedo firmware?
make sure you unzipped the downloaded update file. I would also try running the updater in admin mode.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #954
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
make sure you unzipped the downloaded update file. I would also try running the updater in admin mode.

Thx man! it was Admin mode that did the trick.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #955
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've had someone ask me if I can find them a set up for a 4.5 Ballistic in a TC for a medium size asphalt track. Can anyone help ?

*HEI International for Protoform/Proline/Spaz Stix
*Bitty Design Australia for Bodies and Liquid Mask
* Airbrushmegastore.com for all paint and airbrush supplies
B4james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #956
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4james View Post
I've had someone ask me if I can find them a set up for a 4.5 Ballistic in a TC for a medium size asphalt track. Can anyone help ?
Hi James,

It just so happens I ran just this setup at round 4 of the Challenge Cup.

Rev range - 2000 to 15000
Timing 10
no boost

This was a resonably open carpet track, that has a similar feel to tarmac. At the very least this should work as a staring point.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #957
Tech Adept

Can anyone suggest a starting rollout for the Kinetic 1s, Novak Ballistic 13.5, 1/12 scale on carpet? Fairly small, technical track. Thanks.

Last edited by Larry Brown; 10-07-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: specify motor manufacturer
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #958
Tech Adept

Default Timing & Boost Question

I'm use to the Tekin interface where you can set the Boost and Turbo values separately. But in the Novalink 1.3 interface, Boost is just a "on" or "off" switch.

So my question is:
How does the Boost work in relation to the Timing when its switched on or off?

thx,
Chris.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #959
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The timing boost from the Tekin is what our Timing advance does, and our Boost is the same as Tekin's Turbo. The Boost applies the 55* of timing after the specified delay of being at full throttle, same as your old Tekin setup.
xtraman122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #960
Tech Adept

Quote:
The timing boost from the Tekin is what our Timing advance does, and our Boost is the same as Tekin's Turbo. The Boost applies the 55* of timing after the specified delay of being at full throttle, same as your old Tekin setup.
ah thx for the clarification.