Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife
Castlink Hotwire Novalink
Not sure what the issue is. But compared to just about anything the HW interface sucks. And they know it. Supposedly the next version will not be so hideous and actually work as expected that is according to the Tekin Prez on here. So far I think the novalink is probably the most straight forward. But I do also like the casle link software as it is really easy to use. If you can't get it to install correctly then you might just have to wait for the disc. I get errors everytime I launch it, but it still runs.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
If you have problems, it would be more helpful to describe them.
At the time, that was the polite post. However, A friend recieved his novalink, and tried installing it on his 64 bit netbook, with windows seven, and it was not working. He called me up so we could try it on my 32 bit, Win XP net book, and it still failed. The software would recognize the device, but would not recognize the Kinetic. Software and drivers were downloaded from Novak's website, to insure the latest and greatest software, visits to microsoft for the latest .net software, etc.

It could very well be that the Kinetic is the guilty party, according to the leds that are lighting up on the esc itself.

Tried registering the software, and that failed,,, unless you must enter a serial number to make it happen.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Try connecting the speedo after the program has finished opening. I noticed that sometimes if I had the speedo connected before launching the app it wouldn't be recognized by the software. I also had several times where it wouldn't want to recognize it at all, and I just had to reconnect it or relaunch the app, the same issues I would get with the Tekin from time to time.

The software is still young, and so is the firmware on the controller, I know the programmers are working their tails off to fix any compatibility issues that exist. If you're still getting issues, I recommend uninstalling the NovaLink software and drivers, then reinstalling the .Net fix along with the drivers before reinstalling the application.

I'm not pro with the NovaLink yet, but I do computer/server support for my job, so I'll try to get a hang of it and find out what errors can be resolved with what and try to guide people through any issues. So far I've only done testing on Win 7 x64, both Pro and Home.

-Pete
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

installed the Kinetic and Novalink today, I have a detailed list of issues/bugs where do i email to have them looked at?

cs@teamnovak or tech@teamnovak ??

Chris...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gameover
installed the Kinetic and Novalink today, I have a detailed list of issues/bugs where do i email to have them looked at?

cs@teamnovak or tech@teamnovak ??

Chris...
send them to the tech department or try giving them a call if your in a rush. Charlie is outta town but im sure he checks his mail as often as he can. I have had the program for a couple of weeks now on my laptop with windows 7 and is workn just fine. make sure when you plug in the esc into the novalink the car battery is not hooked up and that you start the program first. this seems to let the program run as it should on a consistant basis.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

As an update to my previous posts... I got my Novalink cable yesterday and followed the instructions to the letter and all was recognised and the software started up, connected and read in my settings from the Kinetic - this is on a Windows 7 64bit laptop. I think you do need to be careful about the order of doing things and this is in the instructions.

The Good..

The software is, even with some of the flaws which I get to below is already better than the competition. I really like the way each setting is explained when you click in the field. I like the graphs for custom throttle curves etc. and the temp graphic is going to be great when I get on the track and I am trying to tune for both motor and ESC temperature.

When connecting the Kinetic to the cable it connected each time and read the seetings - a lot better than the GM which is very hit and miss as to whether it would connect and you had to push buttons on the USB cable and the speedo just to get it read connections etc.

Now for some Not So Good...

First off I want to say that I am trying to be constructive in the following and I am in no way slating the Kinetic or the software - I am a professional IT manager and I am well aware of the pressures the developers will be under to deliver something on time and to high quality.

My main issue is that there does still seem to be some incompatibilities with the 64bit version of windows (I know that it recommends 32bit in the manual but more and more machines are coming with 64bit). We tested the software on a Windows 7 32bit Netbook and my 64bit laptop. While my 64bit machine was ok to read the settings there were some issues when pushing the changed settings back to the Kinetic - this seemed to be worse when I changed things on the Advanced screen - I got a connecting screen and then a dialog with no text (will do a screen shot later). The settings never made it to the Kinetic. On the 32bit version of windows, on the Netbook, this worked perfectly every time.

Some more minor suggestions;

We were both unclear as to which version of the software we were running on the machines - we had downloaded the v1.1 version from the Novak web site but the help and anywhere else on screen still seemed to show v1.0? It would be good to get that to show correctly (unless I have got it wrong) and it would be good to include the version number and the fix history in the readme file that is in the download zip file.

Is there anywhere very noticable that shows the version of the software on the Kinetic when it reads in the settings?

The process for updating the firmware seemed a bit strange in that we followed the instructions but were unsure after it comepleted whether the Kinetic had been updated - the dialog came up and counted up - is that it or should I get a firmware updated successfully. I may be just missing where it gives the version?

Can I also suggest shrinking the size of the application - I mean screen size as you have to keep scrolling in a Netbook which is what most people use at the track this whether. And the smaller app would run on other machines.

Finally...

I just want to say again that I really like the software and that I believe that the things listed above are reasonably minor and can hopefully be fixed easily.

Keep up the good work...

Last edited by scoyle; 08-18-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added comment
Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

I should add that I did get the settings onto the Kinetic using the Netbook and the car sounds amazing - will be running it this weekend
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quick one.

Can the kinetic be programmed with with out the transmitter being on?
(IE unplug the speedo from the receiver.)

Cheers.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MiCk B
Quick one.

Can the kinetic be programmed with with out the transmitter being on?
(IE unplug the speedo from the receiver.)

Cheers.

Hey Mick, long time no speak.

It can definitely be programmed with the Novalink without being connected - I have just programmed one that was just out of the box and not even in the car. If you mean by buttons I will check later on tonight.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Company Representative

I want to thank all of you for offering suggestions (especially scoyle ) Our developers really appreciate your inputs and we are busily at work incorporating your suggestions as quickly as possible.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Indeed it's been a while........

Don't have the Novalink yet. But all my race gear is on route to the off-road Euro in Vienna. Only got one race day with a Kinetic. So didn't get the chance to see if it could be programmed with out the transmitter, just using the button.

It would be great if you could check as the next time I see my race gear will be trackside at the Euros.

Originally Posted by scoyle
Hey Mick, long time no speak.

It can definitely be programmed with the Novalink without being connected - I have just programmed one that was just out of the box and not even in the car. If you mean by buttons I will check later on tonight.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
I want to thank all of you for offering suggestions (especially scoyle ) Our developers really appreciate your inputs and we are busily at work incorporating your suggestions as quickly as possible.
Oops a bit overboard again

Keep up the good work - it's going to be good!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With the Kinetic 1s, would a LiFe receiver pack with its lower voltage be any cause for concern? I'd guess that it is within tolerance but all of the documentation that I find states 2s LiPo which is a fair bit higher voltage.

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ed517
send them to the tech department or try giving them a call if your in a rush. Charlie is outta town but im sure he checks his mail as often as he can. I have had the program for a couple of weeks now on my laptop with windows 7 and is workn just fine. make sure when you plug in the esc into the novalink the car battery is not hooked up and that you start the program first. this seems to let the program run as it should on a consistant basis.
thanks, the novalink itself seems to be running fine for me, i'm running XP. I'd rather do it via email than list a bunch of issues on a public forum, i'm a firmware and s/w dev myself so i know the drill

My issues mostly relate to values not working as expected and inconsistent with documentation. Also, some useablility suggestions.

We raced last night and first time out for the Kinetic on a small track was .2 faster than the Tekin in my son's car (we are usually same pace or he slightly faster when both running Tekin) we both run T3's & X12 10.5. Will be running on a long track with long straight in 2 weeks, looking forward to the comparison.

Chris...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default Kinetic

Hi all..
tried the Novalink..Works ok..a few bugs..but it looks nice-n-easy..
will try this week and see..
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.