Novak Kinetic

Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Novak
That's exactly the way I did it when we were doing testing in On and Off road cars. The test driver would run a few laps bring it in and I would drop the current limiter setting down one setting at a time with the one touch until they could fell it affecting the punch of the car and then I would back it up one.

Here is a little history on ESC current limiters. Back in 1986 I designed an external current limiter that we introduced at the 1/12 Ifmar World Championships in Holland and it was an instant success. Tony Neisinger won the Crown using it with a T-1 Novak ESC. That was 24 years ago. We later incorporated the current limiter into our ESC's. Of course other manufacturers copied it and we all used them for years. The current limiter then fell out of favor with most drivers and a lot of manufacturers, including us, stopped using them. But now with the added power of Brushless Motors they are a great tool to have.
Bob
Bob, you were "The Man" in 86 and it looks like you're still "The Man" today.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
Good to hear. Have you played with the current limiter? I have been running the MMP and it has "torque control" so it limits the max amount of torque regardless of RPM. Which make it really smooth in loose off road conditions. I think it gives me a pretty big edge of anyone trying to rely solely on finger finesse and a slipper clutch as it is a lot more consistent.
No, because my hobby shop did not have the link available yet! Hopefully next week???? I did go really high tech and complete the one touch set-up . LOL Best description I cna think of is something like putting a high performance pipe on a motorcycle. Compared to my gtb, the power starts earlier and continues farther.

Last edited by rcannon409; 08-13-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is anyone able to give a base set up for 17.5 Ballistic in Touring car, medium/large track. Also a starting FDR

Cheers Guys.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by B4james
Is anyone able to give a base set up for 17.5 Ballistic in Touring car, medium/large track. Also a starting FDR

Cheers Guys.
do you have the novalink yet? that will help alot.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

I did play with some of the settings tonight. I cannto wait for the link to get in as it will be easier to program rather than watching blinking lights.

I can see its time to put more thought into motor selection. Or maybe less since its so adjustable. With current limiting and timing advance its easy to make the motor run to the needed power level. I maxed out the current limiter and my 6 year old granddaughter drive the truck. In this respect its a great value since one motor can span so many conditions.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Charlie,

played with radio settings and esc setting and now outstanding brakes with the M11x. also played with the timing and rpm controls as well as motor timing, I like it.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4james

Cheers Guys.
Right now I am running on a smaller track 60 x 40, FDR of 5.71 and 30 degrees startng at 5500 rpm. I don't have the link yet so this is as close as I could get it to what I need for my track. I am probably going to move up into the mid 6 range for FDR. But based on my intial impressions, starting close to where you where for your tekin or mamba systems is about right.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

I hope version 1.1 contains driver control. Something that would prevent me from doing stupid things when driving. Maybe it could send a small electrical shock through the controller when I make a wrong turn??? Other than that, I don't know how it coudl get any better.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by rcannon409
I hope version 1.1 contains driver control. Something that would prevent me from doing stupid things when driving. Maybe it could send a small electrical shock through the controller when I make a wrong turn??? Other than that, I don't know how it coudl get any better.
We plan to introduce this unique "Driver Control" adjustment in the Version 2 Software; you will be unable to program your esc until you have read all of the instruction manuals.

There will be a quiz....
Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by racerj3
So does anyone know when the kinetic will be available as an upgrade option when sending in GTB's? I have 5 GTB's (3 working - 2 not) I would like to upgrade but can't afford to buy the Kinetics outright. I love the GTB but it is proving to no longer be competitive in on-road racing..
We generally open up our speed control exchange and upgrade options 3-4 months after we begin shipping a new item. Soon, we will be adding our Ballistic 550s to the motor trade-in section.

Bob persuaded ROAR to update their list of approved BL controllers for their new Sportsman Division. With the addition of our Kinetic 2S (Racing), Kinetic 1S and Havoc Pro SC, we have 9 BL escs qualified for this new division. Our new timing escs were the first specifically designed to comply with ROAR's Sportsman esc rule from the start.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We generally open up our speed control exchange and upgrade options 3-4 months after we begin shipping a new item. Soon, we will be adding our Ballistic 550s to the motor trade-in section.

Bob persuaded ROAR to update their list of approved BL controllers for their new Sportsman Division. With the addition of our Kinetic 2S (Racing), Kinetic 1S and Havoc Pro SC, we have 9 BL escs qualified for this new division. Our new timing escs were the first specifically designed to comply with ROAR's Sportsman esc rule from the start.
What's the footprint of this beast, I'm real low on room in my F1 car but I like the orange
Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by abailey21
What's the footprint of this beast, I'm real low on room in my F1 car but I like the orange
ESC Footprint: 1.16” x 1.47” (29.5 x 37.3 mm)
Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Its actually a little smaller than a GTB, if that helps.

I played with mine all day. Its easy to program from the button and lights after a person memorizes which light stands for what.

I've never used anything this smooth and adjustable before. I also found out my tire gluing skills are not so good. I was running my 13.5 motor and taking advantage of timing advance. I believe I was set to 10 degrees, hit top speed, and blew a tire right off the rim. The same tire, and motor, that had been working well for the last three weeks.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What F1 car? If you could fit a sphere in the Kinetic will fit (it's a bit smaller than the old LRP). Might have to get creative with the transcap but it should fit.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

I downloaded the Novalink software tonight to ckeck it out - hoping my Novalink cable will be here soon.

Unfortunately it does not seem to work with my version of Windows 7 64bit - will there be a 64bit version of the Novalink software?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.