R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #226
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One of my concerns even if Novak gets it up to speed is it's size and weight. Comparing it to the GTB it is basically the same size and weight. We have been running GTB forever but I fianlly broke down and picked up a couple of LRP SPX just to be competitive.

When I compared the weight I was blown away about how much more the GTB weighed. This is a concern Novak should address. I am able to make weight now, my concern is if I come back to Novak the balance will be way off.

Is Novak going to address the weight issue?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #227
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

with the LRP, does that weight include and capacitors, etc?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #228
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog xxx-s View Post
One of my concerns even if Novak gets it up to speed is it's size and weight. Comparing it to the GTB it is basically the same size and weight. We have been running GTB forever but I fianlly broke down and picked up a couple of LRP SPX just to be competitive.

When I compared the weight I was blown away about how much more the GTB weighed. This is a concern Novak should address. I am able to make weight now, my concern is if I come back to Novak the balance will be way off.

Is Novak going to address the weight issue?
It is not just the weight but the bulkiness of their ESC. If you haven't noticed, with cars becoming more compact, there is less space to mount electronics. Receivers are getting smaller and I see this trend with ESCs as well except with Novak. What's the deal with that?
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #229
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
It is not just the weight but the bulkiness of their ESC. If you haven't noticed, with cars becoming more compact, there is less space to mount electronics. Receivers are getting smaller and I see this trend with ESCs as well except with Novak. What's the deal with that?
I think I read that the size comes from the way they construct the speed control. They build it so that the FETS are directly touching the heat sink. If people can fit the Mamba in anything, the Kinetic will fall into place.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #230
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Will the ESC need to be powered by a battery while being adjusted via the PC software?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #231
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The Speed Passion GT2.0s aren't super tiny either, so I think Novak should be ok in that department.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #232
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

What are the measurement of the Kinetix compared to the the size of the Tekin, Speedpassion?

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. - Muhammad Ali
Castradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #233
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Will the ESC need to be powered by a battery while being adjusted via the PC software?
You always have interesting questions!

I'll check and find out.

Any of you planning in attending Snowbirds, stop by the Novak area and say 'Howdy" and take a look at the Kinetic.

CharlieS will be there to offer support to Novak drivers and Bob and Adnan will be attending the race Mon-Wed.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #234
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Will anyone at the snowbirds be running the Kinetic?

If so who so we can see how it does.

I have 2 GTB still and if the Kinetic does well will mail them is and exchange them for the Kitetic when they are available.

Sad thing is nothing is wrong with them, but I can't get anything for them by trying to sell them.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #235
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

At the beginning of 1/12 season I ran a Novak Spec esc and 17.5ss motor had to do some mods to get it under the 1/12 body it was very reliable but the track I race at now allows timing boost and compared to the Black Diamond, RS, SXX my esc was a slug. I would have liked to have bought the Kinetic but because Novak has not even posted a release date I bought the RS because we all know that even when it is released there will be a long waiting list and they will only produce limited quantities so the LHS's will run out and then you wait again! I don't run 1/12 year round so I couldn't wait for Novak to decide when they would release the Kinetic so again Novak is a day late and a dollar short.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #236
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
At the beginning of 1/12 season I ran a Novak Spec esc and 17.5ss motor had to do some mods to get it under the 1/12 body it was very reliable but the track I race at now allows timing boost and compared to the Black Diamond, RS, SXX my esc was a slug.

I would have liked to have bought the Kinetic but because Novak has not even posted a release date I bought the RS because we all know that even when it is released there will be a long waiting list and they will only produce limited quantities so the LHS's will run out and then you wait again! I don't run 1/12 year round so I couldn't wait for Novak to decide when they would release the Kinetic so again Novak is a day late and a dollar short.
Believe me, no one is more eager to get the Kinetic shipped than I am.....

However, we used this time and added additional features to both our software itself and the PC interface so that the Kinetic will be even more desirable than our original offering. This entailed doing more prototyping and testing.

When we announce most new products, we do not release the information until we have a firm ship date---generally the PR goes out approximately 4-6 weeks prior to shipping.

However, the Kinetic was part of our Chicago show release info; announced at the show where we had the opportunity to show our upcoming releases to both distributors (domestic and international) and Novak customers. But, we have not published a Kinetic ship date.

Syndrome, I asked the engineers about requiring a battery hook up while programming, and they said it is not necessary.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #237
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Syndrome, I asked the engineers about requiring a battery hook up while programming, and they said it is not necessary.
Thank you sir, I appreciate it. Good luck with the new product release!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #238
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tekin Rs will always beat the kinetic
Bryan Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The Kinetic is definitely going to have a tough time taking the Tekin off its throne, but I'm sure it can be done.

Last edited by xtraman122; 04-24-2010 at 05:31 PM.
xtraman122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #240
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Interesting reading, all 16 pages , I just purchased a ballistic motor, On the package it says it is compatable with brushless esc's, does that include the GTB, and the GTB 4 cell. One thing I learned is the shipping date will be announced when it is available!!!!!!!! Now can some one tell me how to set the clock on my VCR....
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote