R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #1966
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
It changes the throttle curve so your starting throttle position is more advanced.
You can do the same thing with the minimum drive adjustment in the speed control. You should not be adjusting the throttle curve in the radio for that adjustment.

Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #1967
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essnowyt View Post
You can do the same thing with the minimum drive adjustment in the speed control. You should not be adjusting the throttle curve in the radio for that adjustment.

Snowy.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that........first off lots of the pros do it, and secondly its a lot easier to adjust it on the fly for feel via your transmitter then going back and scrolling thru the setup button. Another reason to do it this way, is because with the other speed controls such as the Havoc Pro SC the expo curve takes the punch out of the speed control, good for off road or slippery surface but not good for a 17.5 spec TC class when you're trying to get more grunt out of the corner. You're much better to run the linear curve in the speed control and then changing the feel or curve thru the transmitter.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #1968
Tech Adept

Many thanks Johnny wishbone
Really good info here
As jn my sig i have the m11x more adjustment than
i'll ever need so will be trying out your advice this weekend.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #1969
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys, got the novak Kinetic with balistic 10.5. i need some info on setup for this. I have been running sp so this combination is new to me. i see that you can activate boost as soon as the timing is over 20. is this adviseable?
Any help will be appreciated
Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #1970
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrie View Post
Hi guys, got the novak Kinetic with balistic 10.5. i need some info on setup for this. I have been running sp so this combination is new to me. i see that you can activate boost as soon as the timing is over 20. is this adviseable?
Any help will be appreciated
It really depends on the track, honestly, boost creates more problems for me than anything, usually coming on at the wrong time and just drives me deeper past the corners, so my straight is faster, but my track is longer because i'm using more of it by over shooting the corners.

The thing about boost is that no matter what timing you have your speed control set at, all that boost does is throw the last bit of timing at the motor after the timing curve is applied and the delay has been meet.
If you hit the setup, you shouldn't feel a difference between running more speed control timing and when boost kicks in. The thing about a Kinetic is it has sooo many adjustments you can really find the fine tune for the boost to kick in via the delay, but none of the tracks I have run on are big enough to take good advantage of this. The timing curve is probably more effective in taking advantage of the applied timing to the motor, where you can alter it like a expo curve, but applied to the timing steps. This is where the difference is with the SP, where its applied timing steps have been pre-set and you select one of the pre-determined profiles, the Kinetic allows you to totally customize the way the step is applied.

If you look at the new speed controls that have been released they actually have totally gone away from boost and just use straight timing advance, and I think you'll see this in other brands of speed controls that are coming out as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #1971
Tech Apprentice

So depending of the track you are racing...will depend on boost settings or no boost at all.? Will the default setting on 10.5 be fine?
Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #1972
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
The thing about boost is that no matter what timing you have your speed control set at, all that boost does is throw the last bit of timing at the motor after the timing curve is applied and the delay has been meet.
Is this correct? I couldn't find any mention in the manual of any relationship between boost and the timing curve. Other ESCs (Tekin) explicitly state that the boost kicks in completely independent of RPM.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #1973
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Is this correct? I couldn't find any mention in the manual of any relationship between boost and the timing curve. Other ESCs (Tekin) explicitly state that the boost kicks in completely independent of RPM.
What you stated is correct, my wording isn't, or at least what I'm trying to say isn't coming out in word the way I want it to. Sorry to mislead. The thing I'm trying to state is that you can alter the timing curve, and whatever you have your delay set at, will apply boost, but to be more effective, you can change the curve so that the boost "feel" will not have that violent kick, as it can in some cases. Hopes that makes more sense, and again sorry to mislead you.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #1974
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Too bad it doesn't work that way, it might be a bit more useful than having it semi-randomly kick in at any speed.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #1975
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrie View Post
So depending of the track you are racing...will depend on boost settings or no boost at all.? Will the default setting on 10.5 be fine?
Thats correct. Are you talking about the default 10.5/2s select thru the Novalink? If so, its a good start point, but turn the boost off, then watch your temps after 3 minutes. 50* is a lot of timing. Depending on the track it may require some adjustments on the Timing set point, and the Max timing PRM, this alone can really effect the feel of the car coming out of the corner. Also remember that your motor timing should be set at 30* or N if you use the timing settings.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #1976
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Too bad it doesn't work that way, it might be a bit more useful than having it semi-randomly kick in at any speed.
Interestingly enough though that the following is stated on the dropdown for the boost via the NovaLink

"The boost mode when activated,applies the maximum possible electronic motor timing advancement at full throttle. This provides even higher top speeds.

The boost mode can be applied at any timing level."

So one would think that if you reduced the boost delay to 101ms, it would feel like that or pretty close.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #1977
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Any progress on the new kinetic esc ?????? Will it be out before summertime ?
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #1978
Tech Rookie

Hello, this message may reach Charlie:

I am wondering about the Voltage Cutoff settings, when using profile #1 of Kinetic 2S.
You can tune the Voltage Cutoff (by 0.1V increments through Novalink USB), and these threshold are taken into account when using profile #2 (custom, only accessible through Novalink).

But are they taken into acount when using profile #1 (Built-in) ?
Said differently, do you know if profile #1 (built-in) has fixed thresholds for Voltage Cutoff ?
nicov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #1979
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicov View Post
Hello, this message may reach Charlie:

I am wondering about the Voltage Cutoff settings, when using profile #1 of Kinetic 2S.
You can tune the Voltage Cutoff (by 0.1V increments through Novalink USB), and these threshold are taken into account when using profile #2 (custom, only accessible through Novalink).

But are they taken into acount when using profile #1 (Built-in) ?
Said differently, do you know if profile #1 (built-in) has fixed thresholds for Voltage Cutoff ?
I'm going to say no to your question, but this is Charlies e-mail [email protected] its best to send it to him as I don't think he gets much time to watch the forums.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #1980
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm going to say no to your question, but this is Charlies e-mail [email protected] its best to send it to him as I don't think he gets much time to watch the forums.
+1. I am pretty sure it is the default setting if you click on default in the novalink. That is what the setting is on profile 1.