Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

The easiest way to get "baselines" that are safe is to use the button settings.

Start out simply using the button setting's so you can go out in practice and adjust things trackside. Then when you find something close, you can very simply make a profile on the PC that is similar and "fine tune".

I do this often, and many times, we simply run the button settings "only".
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank You Charlie!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hi Kinetics

hi!
My esc and cap just popped and smoked when i set the timeing at 20 on my SpeedPassion 4.5R
anyone know anyting about this ? help plz!
Demuz
Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

I would suggest emailing me with your basic setup. Include as much detail as to what happend before the failure, how many runs all that good stuff.

My email is [email protected]

Usually if it "just blows up" for no reason, there is a hidden reason.....
Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie
Timing Advance is "applied" across the Set RPM Range.

So if you have the range set to 5000-15000, and 40' in the box, it will apply 40' across that RPM range.

If you turn the boost On, it will apply ALL THE TIMING (This is not a physical number that I can explain it's just "boost after the throttle is all wide open for the "boost delay" amount of time.

That's it.

Again, DO NOT USE BOOST. You start out with a RPM range that gives you good feel and response, with reasonable temps. If you need strait away speed, you then turn on the boost. That's it.

If the boost kicks in through the entire infield things will get hot.
hi Charlie, having messed with quite a few of Tekins and Hobbywings previously, I would say I can differentiate perfectly between the Dynamic Timing part and and Boost Timing part very well.

My concern is, say if my track has a tight infield and I only use, for example, 20 to 30 deg of dynamic timing, when I get to the VERY long straight and enable Boost to give me more top end speed, the sudden MASSIVE advance in timing will rob the motor of torque and create more heat instead.

Therefore, why is there no way to control the rate of advance of Boost Timing in degrees/seconds (Here I am referring to the Timing added ONLY at full Throttle after the Boost delay)? Or is there some built in algorithm to control the application of Boost Timing?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here are my original settings:

Note: So far I have only tried to play the buggy inside our village and the boost speed is great! I tried Charlie's suggestion above and turned off the boost (see below).

Note: I will try this out this weekend and give an update. There is a probability that I might be able to visit our local race track and do the test there instead. =D
Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

The serial # seems to be missing from my box. Is there another place to get that info?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buzz65
The serial # seems to be missing from my box. Is there another place to get that info?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.
It's a white sticker on the side of your esc. On the pic you posted it looks like you stuck your switch on the esc right where the serial # sticker would be.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Hi Rad,

"why" I'm not 100% sure on,

We have used the current limiter to soften the kick of the Boost. You might want to try this is small amounts.

You can also try to use more the timing to get the motor up to RPM before the boost kicks in. Use a wider RPM range, and more timing. In the infield, it won't apply much more timing, as it's not getting to the upper RPM range. Down the strait, it will apply more timing as the motor rpm is higher, then kick in the boost. The hit won't be as hard.

I was on emails all weekend. [email protected]

Thanks.
Charlie
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Hey,

Anyone else think the temps below are a little high?

MiCk B. :-)

Originally Posted by PowerPee
Here are my original settings:

Note: So far I have only tried to play the buggy inside our village and the boost speed is great! I tried Charlie's suggestion above and turned off the boost (see below).

Note: I will try this out this weekend and give an update. There is a probability that I might be able to visit our local race track and do the test there instead. =D
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Mick, he doesn't say what brand motor he is using only a 13.5, if it is not a novak or other motor with a temp sensor you will get 200 as a default temp reading. This happened to me when using speedpassion and viper motors.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

Charlie has sent me a brain board...do I open the system up and replace whats in there?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by brighty
Charlie has sent me a brain board...do I open the system up and replace whats in there?
No just look at it admiringly

Yes, just unscrew the 4 hex screws holding the heat sink on and carefully remove the lower case. Gently pull the old brainboard off and replace with the new one. Do up the screws and your good to go.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
No just look at it admiringly

Yes, just unscrew the 4 hex screws holding the heat sink on and carefully remove the lower case. Gently pull the old brainboard off and replace with the new one. Do up the screws and your good to go.
I think the size of those screws is a 1.3mm? (Very small)

Don't strip them out whatever you do.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

It's a standard .05 size hex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.