R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #1816
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex410usa View Post
My Kinetic setup! People say the speedo looks ugly but i think it looks very good!!

It's the best looking ESC on the market. Tekins look cheap, they're made out of flimsy plastic and castles look ghetto.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #1817
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Greetings!

I recently purchased a Kinetic Racing Brushless ESC for my TA B4.1 buggy. I was able to buy the Novalink interface a few weeks after and tried to install it. The software was installed (as was the driver I presumed), however I cannot get the ESC to connect with the interface. I was able to update the device and firmware successfully buy still unable to connect the ESC and the Novalink together.

Another matter is my ESC stopped responding when I connected the batteries and remote. Steering works but throttle does not.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks in advance for the assistance!

By the way I also emailed Charlie...
PowerPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #1818
Tech Apprentice

Update:

I got an email from Brent Newman telling me that the brain board needs to be replaced and Novak will send me one free of charge. I appreciate this a lot since I am based overseas...

Kudos to Novak for the excellent customer service!

*By the way, what's a brain board? Is this the one with the black cap on the ESC? I thought it was the crystal thing on the Novalink interface...
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #1819
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
I suggest that you email [email protected] for the personal assistance to get you up and running.
Have emailed charlie...brain board is on its way. What is the brain board?
brighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #1820
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPee View Post
*By the way, what's a brain board? Is this the one with the black cap on the ESC? I thought it was the crystal thing on the Novalink interface...
My understanding is the brain board is the internal chipset in the ESC. Novak designed it to be user replaceable. You will have to open the speedo, but it will be easy to replace. I've never done it, this is simply what I have gleaned from this thread.

If I'm wrong, guys, please correct me.
Banshee8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #1821
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

not to worry guys, the Brain Board is easier to change then rebuilding a shock. you will open the esc, simple remove and replace, close esc. (four screws)

on another note: can one of you techy types, come up with a setup sheet pdf file, so we can log different setups and share our findings.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #1822
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee8530 View Post
My understanding is the brain board is the internal chipset in the ESC. Novak designed it to be user replaceable. You will have to open the speedo, but it will be easy to replace. I've never done it, this is simply what I have gleaned from this thread.

If I'm wrong, guys, please correct me.
Thanks for the info =D
Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #1823
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Brainboard replacement

Just be careful with your gap pad when you're replacing the brain board. It conducts heat to your heatsink from the components of the ESC. After you get the screws out carefully lift off the heatsink so that you don't mess up the gap pad.
pmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #1824
Tech Adept

I really appreciate the support offered to my by Novak. Why is it though that after paying $360 AUD for a ballistic/Kinetic combo it sounds like I may have to pull the thing apart? I'm sorry, but that does not inspire confidents. I work in health care, I have very little expirience with electronics. Yes I can solder a motor to an ESC, but thats about it. Does anyone eles see the problem here? But like I said, kudos to Novak, it IS clear they want to help us all out.
brighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #1825
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

trust me its not that hard, I don't know all the in's and outs of what the upgrade is all about, but i understand it makes the novalink connection work better with it. my ESC and Novalink worked fine without it, but its a free upgrade so i did it.

as we all know sometimes issues come up in actually race conditions that didn't show up in the lab or in testing, look at how many chassis companys release a fix or update for a fragile part that didn't show in testing.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #1826
Tech Addict

To me, this ESC is pushing the limits of current technology. In order to have these units capable of connecting to a USB, handle huge currents, be small, lightweight, easily user serviceable, smooth, efficient, and all the other wants of the RC market it takes quite a bit. It could be said that perhaps Novak rushed the release of the Kinetic by a little bit, but those early issues have been remedied. Now, all that remains is helping consumers who might have purchased one of those earlier models. Trust me when I say the Kinetic is not alone in the issues it has had. Tekin, LRP, and Castle have all had problems, and of all these the Kinetic is the most reliable, usable, and efficient.

I'm no Novak employee, I'm just some guy who purchased a Kinetic. I had to replace my power cap module when I purchased mine. But thanks to Novak being open and alerting everyone about the issue, I was able to fix it before I installed it.

I don't know what more we as consumers can expect from a company who produces products on the edge of technology and experience. If it wasn't one of the most advanced products on the market, no one would buy it and we wouldn't have this discussion.

That's my point of view anyway.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #1827
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
To me, this ESC is pushing the limits of current technology. In order to have these units capable of connecting to a USB, handle huge currents, be small, lightweight, easily user serviceable, smooth, efficient, and all the other wants of the RC market it takes quite a bit. It could be said that perhaps Novak rushed the release of the Kinetic by a little bit, but those early issues have been remedied. Now, all that remains is helping consumers who might have purchased one of those earlier models. Trust me when I say the Kinetic is not alone in the issues it has had. Tekin, LRP, and Castle have all had problems, and of all these the Kinetic is the most reliable, usable, and efficient.

I'm no Novak employee, I'm just some guy who purchased a Kinetic. I had to replace my power cap module when I purchased mine. But thanks to Novak being open and alerting everyone about the issue, I was able to fix it before I installed it.

I don't know what more we as consumers can expect from a company who produces products on the edge of technology and experience. If it wasn't one of the most advanced products on the market, no one would buy it and we wouldn't have this discussion.

That's my point of view anyway.
Well said!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #1828
Tech Adept

Sooo it seems my loaned out K2s got toasted today, so that's considered a loss, but I'm curious about the Ballistic 550/14mm rotor that was attached to it. If the motor was overheated, is the rotor likely still usable?
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #1829
Tech Addict

Depends how hot it got. Heat kills magnetism. I'm not sure if there's anyway to properly test it either. Probably best to consider it gone.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #1830
Tech Adept

Quote:
Depends how hot it got. Heat kills magnetism. I'm not sure if there's anyway to properly test it either. Probably best to consider it gone.
I'm not sure, but I thought the heat had more of an effect on the stator/winds than it does on the rotor. I'd be less concerned but we had just put brand new 14mm rotor in that motor and i thought I might at be able to reuse the 40 odd dollar rotor and just replace the stator.

Anymore input?
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote