R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #1726
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes I have and I wish I could say I had a resolution to offer. My workaround is using the Novalink programmer but that's a little inconvenient and of course it doesn't help if you don't have one.
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #1727
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have the novalink.. However yesterday I didn't feel like shlepping my laptop to a small meet where I'm running no boost. All I wanted to do wad adjust drag brake!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #1728
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I have the novalink.. However yesterday I didn't feel like shlepping my laptop to a small meet where I'm running no boost. All I wanted to do wad adjust drag brake!
Yea, sometimes I miss the little dragbrake dial you could change without too much fuss.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #1729
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Yesterday I tried to change settings via button on switch and it would not go into set up mode. All light would blink, then go from right to left in series and back to normal. Anyone else experience this with 1.4 firmware.
If you adjusted the ESC with the Novalink then you are in profile 2. Which you can not adjust any of the settings in this profile with the button. So first you need to get back to profile 1 then you will be able to adjust it with the lights.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #1730
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
If you adjusted the ESC with the Novalink then you are in profile 2. Which you can not adjust any of the settings in this profile with the button. So first you need to get back to profile 1 then you will be able to adjust it with the lights.
So how do you get back to profile 1 from the esc? One touch setup?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #1731
Tech Elite

Thank you, That solves that mystery.

Now here is another one. When I load a saved profile, LiPo cut-off is disabled. Its the same whether I load, change, save, close and reload an existing profile, or create a new one and save it. Luckily I caught it, before I loaded new version to esc
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #1732
Tech Adept

Quote:

Now here is another one. When I load a saved profile, LiPo cut-off is disabled. Its the same whether I load, change, save, close and reload an existing profile, or create a new one and save it. Luckily I caught it, before I loaded new version to esc
I have that problem. Sometimes other things change like it loads up with a throttle curve when it was saved as linear.

I wonder how reliable the actual settings are that get passed onto the ESC. I have a feeling this could be the cause of my 2 fires as they came right after making a small change to a setting such as drag brake and updating the ESC via Novalink.
dvaid852456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #1733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
So how do you get back to profile 1 from the esc? One touch setup?

Yes, although this took me several attempts to get out of 2 into 1, I think I finally got it to change to profile 1 by sellecting with the one touch button, then a power cycle of the speed control. (Remember to have your transmitter on when doing this as well.) After that it the one touch button did select all the available settings. Remember though that once you get into pfofile 1, you cannot get back into profile 2 unless you use the NovaLink.

Also once you get into profile 1 and do your settings adjustment, I would cycle the power to the speed control again. I noticed that if I did not do this and tried to work the throttle after a adjustment that the fell of the throttle was more stepped than a linear feel, a power cycle and it preformed correctly again.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #1734
Tech Elite

Quote:

Whenever I have had this problem it has been a issue of not doing a enter and then moving to another box and hitting another enter. In your situation I would change the Lipo cutoff to disable, hit a enter and then go to another option box and hit another enter (you don't have to change anything, just hit the enter). Then do your save, either existing or a new profile and it should take the new setting.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #1735
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaid852456 View Post
I have that problem. Sometimes other things change like it loads up with a throttle curve when it was saved as linear.

I wonder how reliable the actual settings are that get passed onto the ESC. I have a feeling this could be the cause of my 2 fires as they came right after making a small change to a setting such as drag brake and updating the ESC via Novalink.
Part of the brakes where definately the issue, although I believe it was a little more indepth then the change settings, more to do with the Novabrakes and the regen back into the speed control.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #1736
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Part of the brakes where definately the issue, although I believe it was a little more indepth then the change settings, more to do with the Novabrakes and the regen back into the speed control.
What do you mean by part of the brakes were the issue? I'm on my 3rd ESC and REALLY don't want another fire.

Both times the ESC's failed under heavy braking thinking about it. The latest failure caused the transorb circuit to blow and I wondered if it was the motor trying to shove too much voltage back into the ESC.
I'm trying to find out what the chip is that also cracked and blew off the brainboard. Made by ST and I think the part number is BBG 7006 or similar. It does seem like braking put too much back into the ESC, maybe it is a diode or similar?

Is there anything brakes wize I can avoid to reduce the risk of another melt down? Turn down EPA, have 0 drag brake etc?

Last edited by dvaid852456; 04-13-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:57 AM   #1737
Tech Adept

Quote:
What do you mean by part of the brakes were the issue? I'm on my 3rd ESC and REALLY don't want another fire.

Both times the ESC's failed under heavy braking thinking about it. The latest failure caused the transorb circuit to blow and I wondered if it was the motor trying to shove too much voltage back into the ESC.
I'm trying to find out what the chip is that also cracked and blew off the brainboard. Made by ST and I think the part number is BBG 7006 or similar. It does seem like braking put too much back into the ESC, maybe it is a diode or similar?

Is there anything brakes wize I can avoid to reduce the risk of another melt down? Turn down EPA, have 0 drag brake etc?
It looks like a transil device according to ST's website, with a max power rating of 600W:

"The SMBJ Transil series has been designed to protect sensitive equipment against electrostatic discharges."

So whats going on with the brakes then?

Last edited by dvaid852456; 04-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #1738
Tech Elite

Stupid question: when you say fire, actual fire? Or smoke? Was your chassis damaged?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #1739
Tech Adept

Quote:
Stupid question: when you say fire, actual fire? Or smoke? Was your chassis damaged?
The first was a full on fire and ESC meltdown until the battery was unplugged by a marshal, caused a bit of melting on the receiver box and some damage to the chassis and body shell.

The second was a fire on the transorb circuit on the power cap. This also stopped once I unplugged the battery. Slight burning damage to the battery.

I'm on my 3rd and final Kinetic. If this one goes the replacement will be on Ebay faster than you can say what's that smell.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #1740
Tech Elite

Quote:

Heavy braking back voltage was a problem. The 1.4 upgrade with a brain board change has fixed the brake issue. Don't know what component was changed on the bb but they are different.

I hope you have contacted Novak/Charlie and have gotten replacements for the blown speed controls, you should also contact them for the bb replacements.