Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
VERY IMPORTANT: We need new rules!!! >

VERY IMPORTANT: We need new rules!!!

VERY IMPORTANT: We need new rules!!!

Old 02-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by ritchie
wow, talk about spitting hairs,,, ok so i can't find where you said you "WORK" for roar but in your 2nd para to skidmarks you do say you were ON the BOARD of roar.....

actually,.... Frank was "quoting" someone else (SkidMarks).. then he replied...

Old 02-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 02-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say let's put this issue to rest. The original poster isn't even replying anymore and this topic has troll written all over it.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 PM

once again,

sorry to you frank, i edited my post to reflect my ignorance, you know how us americans are, we think we know best. .
Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Relax people Its only a toy car

Besides I think this is one of the more intelligent discussions on the board. So please do not shoot down ideas which may or may not be accepted by all.

My own opinion is that scale cannot be maintained since most cars have standardised chassis. However cars can be made to look as realistic as possible.

I find that it is pointless to call a car shell a stratus or alfa etc when without the body decals, it wouldn't even be recognizable as its real life counterpart.

So let the stratus look like the real stratus in its shape, otherwise I think it would be better to call it by another name eg. "type A", "type b" bodyshell for instance, since it already detracts from its original appearance.

I am sure those racers who truely value performance over looks will prefer to run these type A and B shells over shells that are modelled after their namesakes.

I'd hate to see the Mazda 6 shell for instance, become just another modified shell like the stratus bearing no resemblance to the original vehicle.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Entropy
Relax people Its only a toy car

Besides I think this is one of the more intelligent discussions on the board. So please do not shoot down ideas which may or may not be accepted by all.

My own opinion is that scale cannot be maintained since most cars have standardised chassis. However cars can be made to look as realistic as possible.

I find that it is pointless to call a car shell a stratus or alfa etc when without the body decals, it wouldn't even be recognizable as its real life counterpart.

So let the stratus look like the real stratus in its shape, otherwise I think it would be better to call it by another name eg. "type A", "type b" bodyshell for instance, since it already detracts from its original appearance.

I am sure those racers who truely value performance over looks will prefer to run these type A and B shells over shells that are modelled after their namesakes.

I'd hate to see the Mazda 6 shell for instance, become just another modified shell like the stratus bearing no resemblance to the original vehicle.
you can definately tell that a stratus shell is a stratus and an alfa shell is an alfa. that is if you know anything about real cars. I wouldn't exactly call these toy cars either, that's always a put down to the people that take this hobby serious.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

No sweat ritchie I didn't go to the trouble of using the vB Quote tags so I can understand it looks a bit confusing in my post. But just a comment on the "work" thing - I meant that Fred is I think the only person actually paid by the ROAR bank account, and volunteers like Chris and skidmark are volunteers - they aren't paid but they put in more work as a labor of love without expecting money. BTW I'm American too, I just live in England.

Unfortunately I think the way things are now, if you want a realistic shell you need to buy a Tamiya car (sometimes Kyosho). Even then, the real DTM cars have undertrays I'm sure, so you can't get realistic performance out of them. I've tried making Lexan undertrays for my original RS4 - it looks goofy, slows the car down and doesn't work all that good. (side note: Maybe a thin woven graphite sheet would work better with less flex and weight)

The way TC racing is now, you don't have an undertray like a normal passenger car that prevents air from swirling around under the body (and the cockpit, at that). Plus, r/c TC's have much longer arms, more efficient drivetrains, more power to weight ratio, the list goes on and on. It's all a balancing act and for the guys that think Barry is suggesting a change in car design for 1-inch suspension arms and upright shocks (although you could have a spec TL01 class), plus a change in body design to include side mirrors, etc., you're off the mark. (That said, I think it'd be cool to have an egg represent a driver - it's fragile and all, then have a race where you have to protect your 'driver' as well as finish well!)
Old 06-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Frank McKinney
Plus, r/c TC's have much longer arms, more efficient drivetrains, more power to weight ratio, the list goes on and on. It's all a balancing act and for the guys that think Barry is suggesting a change in car design for 1-inch suspension arms and upright shocks plus a change in body design to include side mirrors, etc., you're off the mark.
Sorry to seemingly randomly ressurect this thread from darkness, but I totally agree with Frank here. Although the original poster has retired from this thread, I never interpereted his comments to indicate the ludicrous changes that the childish comments implied (mirrors, steel wheels, yeesh).

But I want to go even further and say that the Stratus 2.0 body is hypocrisy. To allow changes in the interest of performance, yet not allow the ultimate performance body (Lola, LMP, GTP, Can-Am type shells) is hypocrisy. You've compromised the scale realism in the interest of a slight aerodynamic advantage, so you might as well just allow the true aero bodies to run.

Or, stick with realism, which is what I prefer. Have an open class where people can run altered shells that remotely resemble their real counterparts, but limit bodies in the rest of the classes to those that actually look like real cars.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

touring cars will go 4 cell some day...at least that is my suggestion for keeping the class alive.

and i dont know about you but...the 1st touring car i owned was a losi street weapon. every week another "must have" part came out for that car. i paid maybe 189.00 for the kit..i spent maybe 700.00 in after market upgrades for the car. when it was all said and done the car after 2 years was slow and outdated..i couldn't give it away..

now touring cars are priced higher but come with tons of goodies and have been so well refined that there isn't alot of "must have" parts to buy for them. buy a tc3 team kit for what 325.00 and you get almost every upgrade made for it in the box! same goes with the new mission 2 and the Xray kit. kudos to the manufactures for putting the goods in the box the first time.

now when i ran my losi car you had rims,insets and tires. a set of 4 would run you 50.00 ..plus you had to glue and mount them yourself..today we have takeoff cs27's 35.00 for a full set of 4 and there pre mounted! cheaper and better. and lets not talk about the now imfamous pro line S3 compound...1 run and throw away! i bet i spent 100.00 on tires,rims and inserts for each state race i attended back in the day. now you can buy the cs27's at the track for 20.00 a set of 4 and you can only buy 2 sets for the weekend! savings of 60.00 money saved in after market parts 350.00 batteries...yeah remember panasonics and sanyos? 70.00 or 80.00 a pack! some even higher... now we have GP'S 45.00 a pack and they last 5 times as long as any sanyo or panasonic! not to mention you can run the pack twice per day! savings on batteries 140.00 ......

bodies: they cost the same now as they did 10 years ago? why pick on bodies?

the only complaint i have about touring cars today is the speed! making a rule to only allow 10 turns in "open" mod is stupid plain and simple! this is open mod people...not spec mod! let the boyz run what ever wind they want..but wait you say they would be too fast for the avg joe? ok lets make them open mod any turn motor 4 cells??? cheaper batteries and it lowers the speed as well as saving on the life of the motors and tires. car is lighter...

4 cells helped save the oval class..i suspect it will do the same for touring cars some day.

you will not be able to stop progression..things will get lighter, faster and look more like the fast and furious every month..
on road pan cars died because they were insanely fast and needed a quality surface to run on. touring cars with there rubber tires and suspension work well on not so great surfaces..yes they are better on smooth tracks with no dirt..but you can get them to go around a less than perfect track..

localy in florida alot of the off road tracks are trying to cater to the 1'8th buggies...when you do that the electric cars have crap to run on..soon they fade away also...but thats another story..
Old 06-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"But I want to go even further and say that the Stratus 2.0 body is hypocrisy. To allow changes in the interest of performance, yet not allow the ultimate performance body (Lola, LMP, GTP, Can-Am type shells) is hypocrisy."

Touring Cars- say it with me, Touring Cars.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

robk lives. or is it rjvk? gimme a shizzy, hahaha.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

I have very little interest running a car that is slow, stock with a 4 cell would suck serious butt, mod with a 4 cell would be quicker but runtime would be a major issue(if you could make it at all and still be quicker then stock). Some people will still re-build after 1 race no matter how many cells they run.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Any of you guys know how much does tamiya fork out every year to pay for licensing fees?

Any idea how much does Ferrari is being paid for the 1/24 scale cars? Don even think about F1 counterpart. With the multi sponsered decals, all companies that are on the bodyshell will be paid a royalty fees.

So, let think about it. If bodyshells are made to look like a real 1:1 race car, it comes with all the necessary decals to make it look real, how much would it cost? Just compare Tamiya bodyshell to after market products. What the price like? If your a newbie, would you buy a bodyshell that is considered to be expensive just to enter a race?

I have no objection to having bodyshell looks real to a 1:1 car, but the price would be a major no no to me.
So, let think about it. Would you pay for an expensive, less performance, more realistic bodyshell?

The community in here would be divided into 2 parts, i am for sure. People who wants realistic bodyshell and people who wants performance bodyshell just like me.

Peace man
Old 06-04-2004, 02:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by fatdoggy
I have very little interest running a car that is slow, stock with a 4 cell would suck serious butt, mod with a 4 cell would be quicker but runtime would be a major issue(if you could make it at all and still be quicker then stock). Some people will still re-build after 1 race no matter how many cells they run.
Actually if you don't change anything else on the car just drop 2 cells you'll have longer run times, the motor will draw less amps because of lower voltage and the car will weigh less. The motor will run cooler, etc. Last, but not least, the batterypacks will be cheaper.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by andsetinn
Actually if you don't change anything else on the car just drop 2 cells you'll have longer run times, the motor will draw less amps because of lower voltage and the car will weigh less. The motor will run cooler, etc. Last, but not least, the batterypacks will be cheaper.
Longer run time?
Motor draw less amps due to lower voltage?
Motor will run cooler?
DO you have any idea what your talking about?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.