R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2004, 05:46 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Hochberg
If you really want scale realism that bad, maybe you should try model building.
You can't race these.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:58 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
You can buy decient looking bodies. The tamiya bodies, well they are just awsome, some of the protoform bodies are ok(vectra) which actually handles very nicely to top it off. I don't really care too much about scale realism. As long as the body looks alright and handles nicely I'll buy it ad run it. I don't have a problem with the mazda 6(which will be my next body) or the stratus 2. People who want pretty stuff can get it, just buy tamiya. From a racers stand point, as long as it handles nicely and isn't too ugle I'm all for it. I seriously doubt the scale realism of the hobby is hurting the hobby too much.

It comes down to what are you looking for?

- All show less go? (A slow lesser handling <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> due to body design)
- All go less show? (A great handling car that looks ok but is less scale)

A great paint <A TITLE="Click for more information about job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">job</A> can make even the ugliest body look awsome.
I am for all out performance as well but if unrealistic looking body's where banned and you used realistic ones we you maybe be only 1/2 or 1 second slower but everybody will be a bit slower so it doesn't hurt.
Scale realism really hurts a lot. People get interessed a lot quicker if they recognize a RC car. Just ask outsider and women.

An other thing. Real car manufacturers would support our sport a lot more becouse they could promote their cars trough our races.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry White
You can't race these.
lol...

duh!!!

just to add my $0.02.. I would have to agree with BarryWhite... I would like to see more realistic bods on the tracks as well.. Tamiya has got a good start in this area... I personally have tried their MRS-GT body with great results... Some of the locals even jokingly label it as a 'cheater body'... I will soon be mounting Tamiya's NSX for the upcoming TCS season, ... It too has proven to be a good handling bod also... my point is, the 'more realistic' bodies can handle near as good as the 'morphed' bods that are currently popular...
Old 02-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you just like to hear yourself talk. We understand what you're saying and there are classes out there that cater to "realism". Why don't you get involved with those and we'll stick to what we like. You can't convince people that have been doing this for a while. I'll change if the rules change but for now i'll stick with what works.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:11 PM   #20

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think that the fact that the class is a "Touring Car" class pretty much means you can never expect realistic looking bodies. For one thing, full scale touring car racing isn't all that big, especially not in the States. Not many people would recognize a "realistic" looking TC body any more than they would recognize any of the bodies that everyone uses now.

Our remote control touring cars are also not perfectly to scale, so making a realistic looking body for them is all the more difficult. It think it would be really cool if we had Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc bodies, and that would definitely attract a lot of people and give them something to relate to, but if it's realistic touring car shells you want, I say we stick with what we have currently.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:15 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
I think you just like to hear yourself talk. We understand what you're saying and there are classes out there that cater to "realism". Why don't you get involved with those and we'll stick to what we like. You can't convince people that have been doing this for a while. I'll change if the rules change but for now i'll stick with what works.
I race both series. I don't want to convince you to use a scale body when everybody isn't. I want the sanctioning body's to chage rules and make modelracing better and more fun for you to.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
I think that the fact that the class is a "Touring <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">Car</A>" class pretty much means you can never expect realistic looking bodies. For one thing, full scale touring car racing isn't all that big, especially not in the States. Not many people would recognize a "realistic" looking TC body any more than they would recognize any of the bodies that everyone uses now.

Our remote control touring cars are also not perfectly to scale, so making a realistic looking body for them is all the more difficult. It think it would be really cool if we had Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc bodies, and that would definitely attract a lot of people and give them something to relate to, but if it's realistic touring car shells you want, I say we stick with what we have currently.

Josh
Hi Josh.

You need to read my two first posts.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I race both series. I don't want to convince you to use a scale body when everybody isn't. I want the sanctioning body's to chage rules and make modelracing better and more fun for you to.
I have plenty of fun now, why do I need more fun? That's the problem, everyone thinks things should be more fun or more this or more that. Just be glad things are as they are now which I think is excellent. If you want the sanctioning bodies to change the rules then start a petition, that's more effective than wasting your time trying to convince a few people on a forum. If enough people share your idea then things might happen. I think the popular touring bodies are realistic enough without giving up performance. The reason these bodies are the way they are is that people continue to push the envelope. They are always looking for the latest edge to knock of a 1/10th of a 1/10th .
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:37 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Another couple cents.....we might get a buck here soon...lol

I have to agree with some of what was said here about realism. It's what interested me in the TC class along with the chassis and how they were built. I mean honestly, a pan car chassis is as far away from a real car chassis as it gets....

That aside, when it comes down to detail, remember these shells are vacuum formed and will never get to the level of a plastic injection molded model. Granted, there are some manufacturers that cheat and create a shell that is far from what the production body looks like all in the effort of driving performance.

Well what do you think any other racing organization does, I mean what part of a NASCAR car look like its real life twin... OK, most touring cars that are transformed into pure racing machines only get few modifications....new ground effects, nose, hood, spoilers, wings, skirts...hehe

My last point is this, every production car made has a different wheel base, and width. Realism will always suffer be it from the standardization of chassis or at the hands of the sculptor and the companies producing the shells.

Hey, aren't these shells being licensed from the auto makers, they themselves are also accountable.

just some thoughts, sounded more like babble, babble, babble, after reading what i wrote....

hey, if you guys want to really see unrealistic incarnations of real cars, just look at some of cars here at our dirt oval track.

www.southsideracing.com

morosis

p.s. when can we get a realistic off-road class
morosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #25
Tech Addict

barry,
you say the manufacturers send in their bodies for approval with money. i'm on the board of ROAR and i have never seen a body come in with money to be approved. where did you get this info?
Skid Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #26
Tech Addict

believe it or not that little damn shell do so little to attract new comers

the drivers' attitude arround the pit, the drivers' ability to drive, the tracks' location and condition, fellow racers' manner when driving, the paintjob on the shells, all contribute to make this hobby attractive.

plenty of new comers come up and talk to me when i play at the track and they are attracted by the speed and atmosphere, and of course our friendly racers around the pit.

at the speed of today's rc cars what can you see except of the main colors on the bodies when the cars are moving, and if you look for scale appearence on the bench then as someone mentioned you might as well look for 1/24 models

you can talk to your local tracks organizers to see if they are interested in creating a new class with tamiya and kyosho bodies only, and screw ROAR and IFMAR, who cares about them when you do local races and only racing the local people, the people can decide the rules

another thing is scale bodies are expensive here in north america, specially in canada, the tamiya distrubitor is selling the bodies around 3 times more expensive than the price of the same shell in asia area, that deters new entries if what they are looking for is scale
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Barry, I tend to agree with you but with some leeway. First, i think you'll find the American mentality differs from the European. Most Americans will take the " I'll run whatever goes fast and damned the reality" stance. Most Europeans will be more accepting of realism. It's a difference of purpose, training and knowledge. IE: the same reason F1 is so much less appreciated here than in Europe. As for touring cars, we have nothing like the DTM or V8 supercars(australia) here.
For those of us who are hardcore Tamiya fans, we have the benefit of becoming involved with a race program(TCS) that changes the emphasis from racing in classes where you feel you must have the latest and greatest equipment to be competitive to racing against people of varying ability with equipment that is regulated to provide a more even playing field. There by allowing for more realism. I personally couldn't care less about the miniscule aerodynamic edge the stratus may have over my Mercedes DTM. There's way to much hype out there and the advertisers are just doing there job selling us on what they want us to buy. God forbid if Barry Baker or Matt Francis should win a comp using some ugly thing like the Suzuki Escudo !!! Funny though, a couple of years back the Japanese drivers were running the Escudo and kicking butt. We heard almost nothing about that. How dare they compete against the beloved stratus and win !!! LOL
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:17 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

barry, no, i don't agree with that one bit. The class is getting faster and faster, more high-tech, more precise. Bodies evolve too, to become more efficient. If you want to run a lambo in sedan class, go ahead, but i will still run the newer bodies every time, because they handle, and in my mind, look better, because of the paintjobs.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:26 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Rob Hochberg

Quote:
How would it make it more fun for everyone if only a minority of racers want to run realistic bodies? Sorry, but I think majority rules on this one.
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:28 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Quote:
You don't want to tell me what to race, but you want to tell the santioning bodies to change the rules so that I can only race what you want? Isn't that the same thing?

Realism in our hobby is an extremely MINOR concern. If it were, why are we so fast? Our touring cars are sometimes going nearly 300 scale MPH! What real touring car has 20 inch wheels? (Our 2 inch wheels are scale 20's) Our cars weigh merely 3 pounds..... 30 scale pounds!??!? Nowhere near reality. We race remote control cars, not real cars. While there are some comparisons to be drawn between the two, the similarities end quickly.

As far as attracting new racers, putting out cars that handle worse than they do now will not help. We are already too fast for the handling capabilities of the cars, especially for beginners. Over the 14 years I've been racing, I have seen MANY racers quit or not even start because of the difficulty factor. I've never heard of anybody quitting because the car didn't look real enough.

The realistic classes are there if you want them, just don't force them on me.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote