R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default query regarding tekin rs leds

Hi there everyone,
a new forum member with a query....
I have two touring cars both with Tekin RS esc's.
One has a Trinity Pulse 17.5 T b/l motor, the other a similar Trinity Pulse 13.5 T b/l motor.
The reason that i mention the fact that i have 2 cars (essentially identical) is that what i'm about to query happens with both, and i can't find any info anywhere that gives me any kind of answer. I may have missed something somewhere, but i don't think so!
The query:
If i set up the motor type manually, then assuming my choice is brushless/forwards/brake, then the motor type selection (led 6) should show one led lit... which they do. So far so good!
If i then connect up with the firewire (i have installed v200) and in terms of the motor selection keep it the same (iow brushless/forwards/brake) and set all the other parameters to what i want, incl the latest additions of turbo boost and lag etc and save the settings and disconnect from the firewire, and now put either car on a stand, everything works as expected... the turbo effect is definately noticeable and the lag seems spot on.
However, and this is my query: If i now push the mode button the required 6 times and the set button once...to determine motor type (or 'check' motor type), then all seven leds are lit brightly and constantly. If i reset the motor type leds to only one lit (iow brushless/forwards/brake) then the turbo effect falls away and i'm left with a normal linear acceleration. If i reset the motor leds to seven lit then the turbo function returns.
So whilst everything works, i'm just confused by the led display.
I would hate to destroy a motor or esc by racing with an incorrect motor parameter indication that may result in failure or either or both.
A response to this would be much appreciated.
evolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolver View Post
Hi there everyone,
a new forum member with a query....
I have two touring cars both with Tekin RS esc's.
One has a Trinity Pulse 17.5 T b/l motor, the other a similar Trinity Pulse 13.5 T b/l motor.
The reason that i mention the fact that i have 2 cars (essentially identical) is that what i'm about to query happens with both, and i can't find any info anywhere that gives me any kind of answer. I may have missed something somewhere, but i don't think so!
The query:
If i set up the motor type manually, then assuming my choice is brushless/forwards/brake, then the motor type selection (led 6) should show one led lit... which they do. So far so good!
If i then connect up with the firewire (i have installed v200) and in terms of the motor selection keep it the same (iow brushless/forwards/brake) and set all the other parameters to what i want, incl the latest additions of turbo boost and lag etc and save the settings and disconnect from the firewire, and now put either car on a stand, everything works as expected... the turbo effect is definately noticeable and the lag seems spot on.
However, and this is my query: If i now push the mode button the required 6 times and the set button once...to determine motor type (or 'check' motor type), then all seven leds are lit brightly and constantly. If i reset the motor type leds to only one lit (iow brushless/forwards/brake) then the turbo effect falls away and i'm left with a normal linear acceleration. If i reset the motor leds to seven lit then the turbo function returns.
So whilst everything works, i'm just confused by the led display.
I would hate to destroy a motor or esc by racing with an incorrect motor parameter indication that may result in failure or either or both.
A response to this would be much appreciated.

You say you disconnect the hotwire, but you don't that you've saved the application. must save the application. Save the application by clicking just below "Duel Mode" to hi-light "apply setting", then disconnect the Hotwire. Re check the version by clicking below that.

Useing v200 or 189, you may loose "Drag Brake" or any other setting. if you loose it go to a lower version you may get it back. I had problems on that situation. Upgraded to v198 and lost drag brakes, For about 2 months used it without drag brakes, pain in the okolei!!!! So I started from the beginning. Emailed Ty of Tekins, Advise was the motor(10.5 Redline), was brand new. Didn't think it was the motor. Went back to v180, which was the first version tekins was out with, that brought my Drag bakes back functioning. V189 & 200 willnot work for me?? I don't know!! I haven't tried yet. Just happy the get my DB functioning again with v180.

Good Luck!!! Tekins RS's(Pro) Darn good ESC. use on my 12th scale, Have on a T1 for Bashing, with a Bushless 3.5 Redline, It's insane!!!
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolver View Post
If i then connect up with the firewire (i have installed v200) and in terms of the motor selection keep it the same (iow brushless/forwards/brake) and set all the other parameters to what i want, incl the latest additions of turbo boost and lag etc and save the settings and disconnect from the firewire, and now put either car on a stand, everything works as expected...

If i now push the mode button the required 6 times and the set button once...to determine motor type (or 'check' motor type), then all seven leds are lit brightly and constantly. If i reset the motor type leds to only one lit (iow brushless/forwards/brake) then the turbo effect falls away and i'm left with a normal linear acceleration. If i reset the motor leds to seven lit then the turbo function returns.
I think that your problem is changing settings via the pushbuttons after you've made changes using the Hotwire. Since some of the changes can only be made from the Hotwire, attemping to change something via the push buttons must be resetting one of the other settings. Just use the Hotwire and forget about the push buttons (except for calibrating it to your radio).
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
I think that your problem is changing settings via the pushbuttons after you've made changes using the Hotwire. Since some of the changes can only be made from the Hotwire, attemping to change something via the push buttons must be resetting one of the other settings. Just use the Hotwire and forget about the push buttons (except for calibrating it to your radio).
Thanks Carbon Joe...never thought about that possibility...i'll take your advice
and just use the hotwire.
evolver is offline   Reply With Quote